AVS Forum banner

Divergent - Neil Burger's follow up to Limitless

2K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  Vipfreak 
#1 ·
1st Trailer released. Another movie of the Year hopefully this will be the one. Another great cast...Kate Winslet, Maggie Q

#3 ·
Currently 25% at RT, much negative feedback from IMDB, trailer itself looks lame to me.

Looks like another bust with a star studded casts = I'm not surprised = super quick release on dvd = good for us to see it sooner than later

Oh well
,..so much for a decent follow up to Limitless. You know it's sad when a movie thread has only 3 post all by the same person.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24496837

Currently 25% at RT, much negative feedback from IMDB, trailer itself looks lame to me.

Looks like another bust with a star studded casts = I'm not surprised = super quick release on dvd = good for us to see it sooner than later

Oh well
,..so much for a decent follow up to Limitless. You know it's sad when a movie thread has only 3 post all by the same person.
The demo for this movie is not the usual AVS posters. IMDB boards are populated by movie haters.

#5 ·
The book was an absolutely amateurish piece of ****. It's an unholy, unsalvageable spawn of Satan that I hope dies a thousand million painful deaths. And makes $12.68 at the box office before all digital and film prints burst into flames (accompanied by the Wilhelm Scream).

Can you tell I hated the book? God, I'm getting dumber just thinking about it.

#8 ·
Making the obvious comparison to the Hunger Games, I didn't find the books as compelling. Specifically, I didn't really care about the central character, Tris, whereas I found Katniss to be much better written, and easier to root for. So many online reviews raved about the novel(s) and how it was as good as (or even better) than the HG. I didn't feel this way at all... it remains to be seen how well it's translated to film.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless/0_60#post_24497409

The book was an absolutely amateurish piece of ****. It's an unholy, unsalvageable spawn of Satan that I hope dies a thousand million painful deaths. And makes $12.68 at the box office before all digital and film prints burst into flames (accompanied by the Wilhelm Scream).

OK, now tell us how you really feel...

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24497409

Sounds kinda like my experience reading His Dark Materials. Fascinating premise, simplistically written for young teens. I gave up early in book II, the actual title of which I've repressed.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24497506

Interesting. When I look at the book reviews on Amazon they are in stark contrast to your review, David.

New trailer. Looks decent to me. Will put it in my queue. I can always remove it.

That's okay, people like different things. Like Twilight. Or 50 Shades of Grey. I just really disliked this book on a lot of different levels. I can't recall a single thing about any of the characters, they were that bland and lifeless. And the "concept" behind the world is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

#14 ·
David - OT, sorry, but have you read a book (and it's sequels) called "Wool"? Another post-apocalyptic concept. Apparently it had kind of a reverse gestation -- first electronic, then a print version by popular demand. My wife is into it right now and thinks it's the cat's meow, wants me to read it.

And back OT, apparently the movie rights have already been sold.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless/0_60#post_24502063

David - OT, sorry, but have you read a book (and it's sequels) called "Wool"? Another post-apocalyptic concept. Apparently it had kind of a reverse gestation -- first electronic, then a print version by popular demand. My wife is into it right now and thinks it's the cat's meow, wants me to read it.
I'll look for it at the used bookstore.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24502063

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24503004

I'll look for it at the used bookstore.
Here ya' go . Pretty cheap, because it didn't originally start out with a hardcover edition (but it has one now). Internet and electronic self-published first, then straight to paperback. The author had never written anything before; he worked in a bookstore. Now he's sold the movie rights too!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24502063

Yes, I've read Wool and the sequels. I liked them a lot. Howey knows how to create a world and vivid characters drawn through good writing.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1487790/divergent-neil-burgers-follow-up-to-limitless#post_24497662

Making the obvious comparison to the Hunger Games, I didn't find the books as compelling. Specifically, I didn't really care about the central character, Tris, whereas I found Katniss to be much better written, and easier to root for. So many online reviews raved about the novel(s) and how it was as good as (or even better) than the HG. I didn't feel this way at all... it remains to be seen how well it's translated to film.

I agree. So far I've read The Hunger Games trilogy twice and was really disappointed in Divergent and Insurgent. In fact, after finishing Insurgent, I decided I had a bunch of other books waiting that were much more interesting/compelling and didn't even bother to read Allegiant which is by all accounts a big step down from the first two. It seemed these novels were written to a younger crowd and really played up the teen romance angle. To me, the story telling was not even in the same league as the Suzanne Collins novels. Maybe it will translate to film better though, who knows. I loved Limitless so maybe Burger can works some magic on this.

#19 ·

Quote:

Wool/Shift/Dust are great reads, highly recommended. They definitely have gone on my list of books to re-read in the future.

#20 ·
Doesn't look like too many have seen this OR they just don't want to sound negative or just embarrass they watched this piece of bleh. Don't worry just catch it on cable it will be there soon.

Ughh...how can someone who brought us Limitless be remotely associated with this bland, uninteresting, badly written script & dialed in performances. It was like everyone knew deep down this was a turkey so nobody cared, and trust me it shows rampantly throughout the whole movie.

On paper this looks like such a sure thing, great balanced cast. You never cared for any of the characters whatsoever to begin with. From that weak foundation, you have bad strange weird writing & things that were said seemed so hokey & play ground childish behavior. And after about an hour, you find yourself just still haven't invested anything or anyone.

Then the movie becomes a joke as events, things, twists in the story & characters starts raining down like cats & dogs like Inception or Now You See Me where guess what??? anything can happen I'll just pull this out my ass write this in, kill this person, change that character's motives, etc on and one you'll just waiting for this thing to end. I so regret & apologize that I even started this thread.
:serious:

#31 ·
Watched this tonight. My kids liked it. I thought it was ok. It's a long movie and seemed to move slow. Took awhile to get things going.

#37 · (Edited)
My 'Divergent' rant:

This movie blows new levels of absolute crap all over the screen. In fact, there are zero redeemable qualities to take away from it. I can't decide which was worse: the shallow, overly complicated, ridiculously plagiarized story that was hammered down our throats, or the issue of embarrassing messages being delivered to adolescent girls.

Since the former is self explanatory, I'll focus on the latter.

Tris, who is supposed to be a strong character, only manages to do so with the aid of a her "hunky love interest". Isn't that how it works, ladies? You can't find inner strength until a dreamy guy guides you to it... Excuse me while I throw up (still looks and sounds better than the movie)... Then there's the obsession with perfect looks that nearly drove me mad. She comes from a faction (their version of Districts or Hogwarts houses) that puts no stock in appearances, yet the main character has caked on make-up from the get go. Even after she gets an unnecessarily thorough beating, the bruising that would normally turn her face to ground beef never appears in order to maintain her image.

Basically, instead of watching something inspired by solid literature such as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, we get a hormone injected, fraternity inspired, unintentional parody of them.

I'd say that this is almost as bad as last year's After Earth.

#38 ·
This movie blows new levels of absolute crap all over the screen. In fact, there are zero redeemable qualities to take away from it. I can't decide which was worse: the shallow, overly complicated, ridiculously plagiarized story that was hammered down our throats, or the issue of embarrassing messages being delivered to young adolescent girls.

Since the former is self explanatory, I'll focus on the latter.

Tris, who is supposed to be a strong character, only manages to do so with the aid of a her "hunky" love interest. Isn't that how it works, ladies? You can't find inner strength until a dreamy guy guides you to it. Excuse me while I throw up..... Then there's the obsession with perfect looks that nearly drove me mad. She comes from a faction that puts no stock in appearances, yet the main character has caked on make-up from the get go. Even after she gets an unnecessarily thorough beating, the bruising that would normally turn her face to ground beef never appears in order to maintain her image.

Basically, instead of watching something inspired by solid literature such as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, we get a hormone injected, unintentional parody of them.
But the books were already very successful so I guess there's a demand for that type of material. Idealization of the "strong female character" overcoming obstacles, and her prince charming who protects her... Something like that maybe... The only "dystopian future" story that I'm interested in lately is the new Mad Max - should be a bit different ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.