Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
1st Trailer released. Another movie of the Year hopefully this will be the one. Another great cast...Kate Winslet, Maggie Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Divergent Official Featurette - Factions (2014). A little behind the looks of the movie, seems like The Hunger Games meets Equilibrium.

post #3 of 49 Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Currently 25% at RT, much negative feedback from IMDB, trailer itself looks lame to me.

Looks like another bust with a star studded casts = I'm not surprised = super quick release on dvd = good for us to see it sooner than later smile.gif

Oh well cool.gif ,..so much for a decent follow up to Limitless. You know it's sad when a movie thread has only 3 post all by the same person.
post #4 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Currently 25% at RT, much negative feedback from IMDB, trailer itself looks lame to me.

Looks like another bust with a star studded casts = I'm not surprised = super quick release on dvd = good for us to see it sooner than later smile.gif

Oh well cool.gif ,..so much for a decent follow up to Limitless. You know it's sad when a movie thread has only 3 post all by the same person.
The demo for this movie is not the usual AVS posters. IMDB boards are populated by movie haters.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The book was an absolutely amateurish piece of ****. It's an unholy, unsalvageable spawn of Satan that I hope dies a thousand million painful deaths. And makes $12.68 at the box office before all digital and film prints burst into flames (accompanied by the Wilhelm Scream).

Can you tell I hated the book? God, I'm getting dumber just thinking about it.
Osirus23 likes this.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Interesting. When I look at the book reviews on Amazon they are in stark contrast to your review, David.

New trailer. Looks decent to me. Will put it in my queue. I can always remove it.

post #7 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
My daughter sure doesn't want to miss this one... We're seeing it next weekend.
post #8 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Making the obvious comparison to the Hunger Games, I didn't find the books as compelling. Specifically, I didn't really care about the central character, Tris, whereas I found Katniss to be much better written, and easier to root for. So many online reviews raved about the novel(s) and how it was as good as (or even better) than the HG. I didn't feel this way at all... it remains to be seen how well it's translated to film.

post #9 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Thanks for the heads up, definitely giving this one a miss.
post #10 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

The book was an absolutely amateurish piece of ****. It's an unholy, unsalvageable spawn of Satan that I hope dies a thousand million painful deaths. And makes $12.68 at the box office before all digital and film prints burst into flames (accompanied by the Wilhelm Scream).

OK, now tell us how you really feel...tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #11 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Mmmmm.....

Burger.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #12 of 49 Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

Sounds kinda like my experience reading His Dark Materials. Fascinating premise, simplistically written for young teens. I gave up early in book II, the actual title of which I've repressed.
post #13 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Interesting. When I look at the book reviews on Amazon they are in stark contrast to your review, David.

New trailer. Looks decent to me. Will put it in my queue. I can always remove it.

That's okay, people like different things. Like Twilight. Or 50 Shades of Grey. I just really disliked this book on a lot of different levels. I can't recall a single thing about any of the characters, they were that bland and lifeless. And the "concept" behind the world is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

David Forbes

post #14 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
David - OT, sorry, but have you read a book (and it's sequels) called "Wool"? Another post-apocalyptic concept. Apparently it had kind of a reverse gestation -- first electronic, then a print version by popular demand. My wife is into it right now and thinks it's the cat's meow, wants me to read it.

And back OT, apparently the movie rights have already been sold.
post #15 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

David - OT, sorry, but have you read a book (and it's sequels) called "Wool"? Another post-apocalyptic concept. Apparently it had kind of a reverse gestation -- first electronic, then a print version by popular demand. My wife is into it right now and thinks it's the cat's meow, wants me to read it.
I'll look for it at the used bookstore.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #16 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I'll look for it at the used bookstore.smile.gif

Here ya' go. Pretty cheap, because it didn't originally start out with a hardcover edition (but it has one now). Internet and electronic self-published first, then straight to paperback. The author had never written anything before; he worked in a bookstore. Now he's sold the movie rights too!
post #17 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I've read Wool and the sequels. I liked them a lot. Howey knows how to create a world and vivid characters drawn through good writing.

David Forbes

post #18 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Making the obvious comparison to the Hunger Games, I didn't find the books as compelling. Specifically, I didn't really care about the central character, Tris, whereas I found Katniss to be much better written, and easier to root for. So many online reviews raved about the novel(s) and how it was as good as (or even better) than the HG. I didn't feel this way at all... it remains to be seen how well it's translated to film.

I agree. So far I've read The Hunger Games trilogy twice and was really disappointed in Divergent and Insurgent. In fact, after finishing Insurgent, I decided I had a bunch of other books waiting that were much more interesting/compelling and didn't even bother to read Allegiant which is by all accounts a big step down from the first two. It seemed these novels were written to a younger crowd and really played up the teen romance angle. To me, the story telling was not even in the same league as the Suzanne Collins novels. Maybe it will translate to film better though, who knows. I loved Limitless so maybe Burger can works some magic on this.
post #19 of 49 Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Wool/Shift/Dust are great reads, highly recommended. They definitely have gone on my list of books to re-read in the future.
post #20 of 49 Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doesn't look like too many have seen this OR they just don't want to sound negative or just embarrass they watched this piece of bleh. Don't worry just catch it on cable it will be there soon.

Ughh...how can someone who brought us Limitless be remotely associated with this bland, uninteresting, badly written script & dialed in performances. It was like everyone knew deep down this was a turkey so nobody cared, and trust me it shows rampantly throughout the whole movie.

On paper this looks like such a sure thing, great balanced cast. You never cared for any of the characters whatsoever to begin with. From that weak foundation, you have bad strange weird writing & things that were said seemed so hokey & play ground childish behavior. And after about an hour, you find yourself just still haven't invested anything or anyone.

Then the movie becomes a joke as events, things, twists in the story & characters starts raining down like cats & dogs like Inception or Now You See Me where guess what??? anything can happen I'll just pull this out my ass write this in, kill this person, change that character's motives, etc on and one you'll just waiting for this thing to end. I so regret & apologize that I even started this thread.
post #21 of 49 Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
You should be sorry, Zoey...

Cuz now I want a burger.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #22 of 49 Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Doesn't look like too many have seen this OR they just don't want to sound negative or just embarrass they watched this piece of bleh. Don't worry just catch it on cable it will be there soon.

Ughh...how can someone who brought us Limitless be remotely associated with this bland, uninteresting, badly written script & dialed in performances. It was like everyone knew deep down this was a turkey so nobody cared, and trust me it shows rampantly throughout the whole movie.

On paper this looks like such a sure thing, great balanced cast. You never cared for any of the characters whatsoever to begin with. From that weak foundation, you have bad strange weird writing & things that were said seemed so hokey & play ground childish behavior. And after about an hour, you find yourself just still haven't invested anything or anyone.

Then the movie becomes a joke as events, things, twists in the story & characters starts raining down like cats & dogs like Inception or Now You See Me where guess what??? anything can happen I'll just pull this out my ass write this in, kill this person, change that character's motives, etc on and one you'll just waiting for this thing to end. I so regret & apologize that I even started this thread.
Just reading some of these Posts don't know if I want to rent it.

Frank

post #23 of 49 Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Just reading some of these Posts don't know if I want to rent it.
it's a teenage girls movie... My daughter loved it, me I didn't really care. It's the kind of pseudo-dystopian future thingy where everyone looks like a top-model. Similar to The Hunger Games in many ways, but with a less attractive cast (with the exception of Kate Winslet, of course , and Shailene Woodley seems to have a promising career ahead of her).
post #24 of 49 Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I just blind bought this on my kids recommendation. It better be good or his iPad is going on eBay.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #25 of 49 Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
it's a teenage girls movie... My daughter loved it, me I didn't really care. It's the kind of pseudo-dystopian future thingy where everyone looks like a top-model. Similar to The Hunger Games in many ways, but with a less attractive cast (with the exception of Kate Winslet, of course , and Shailene Woodley seems to have a promising career ahead of her).
Thanks Morpheo, my daughter isn't a teenager yet so I'm lucky there
post #26 of 49 Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I just blind bought this on my kids recommendation. It better be good or his iPad is going on eBay.
Reading these posts Wabo you best to start listing. 😀
post #27 of 49 Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Reading these posts Wabo you best to start listing. 😀
Keep checking. You guys might get a sweet deal on an iPad here soon.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #28 of 49 Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

About how the wife and I felt after watching it this weekend. Very slow paced. We were hanging on hoping for redemption but the movie ended like a silent fart that lingered.

post #29 of 49 Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Teenage girls movie is a bout right. Young girl liking the older hot guy, being rebellious.

Movie is a rip off of hunger games IMO.
post #30 of 49 Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post
About how the wife and I felt after watching it this weekend. Very slow paced. We were hanging on hoping for redemption but the movie ended like a silent fart that lingered.
About right, another one that needs a hard wipe from memory.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page