AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Lawrence of Arabia

Yes. (I mentioned in my earlier post that one of my spoilers utterly trivialized a grand epic, and this was it. -- good job!)
Quote:
(btw, if this is correct, aren't some of these entries drifting into Three Word or Less Synopses rather than Three Word or Less SPOILERS? I mean, it isn't much of a spoiler to hear that Lawrence goes to where sand is in Lawrence of Arabia, is it? It would be something a rather unconventional publicist in 1962 might want to put in bold print on the movie poster. And I've noticed several others drifting into that category, which adds confusion in that we're trying to figure out what it gives away in a movie rather than what it simply describes about a movie that anyone looking at the poster could already know. Just askin'. I'm suspecting "Dinner party corpse" might fall into that category as well, no? But a spoiler would be that the "prof reveals corpse" or something to that effect...?)

Good points, all. Of course some of them are genuine spoilers. It's great if you can actually spoil a classic film in three or fewer words, but that's only really if there's a reveal or a twist or a mystery to solve, isn't it? I mean, it almost has to be a thriller or a mystery film in order to be spoiled, right?

How would you "spoil" Lawrence of Arabia, anyway? What is there to spoil? He sort of unites a bunch of feuding tribes in the desert during the first WW and dies years later in a trivial motorcycle accident? "Tom unites, crashes?" I had a lot more fun utterly trivializing David Lean's grand, sweeping masterpiece in three words. "English" was a clue, as that is what Ali Sherif calls him. "Gets sandy?" I mean, come on? How silly is that? That was the point, and now that I have explained the humor, it is gone.

I have no problem with posters "drifting into" summarizing a film in two or three words or providing a synopsis, as you put it.

Dinner party corpse is indeed in that category, and I actually like your suggested spoiler better (and obviously you know what film it is). Rather than truly spoiling the film, I gave away its premise, I suppose. You've got a good point, but this is supposed to be a fun game, not a rules lawyering fest (I'm actually a lawyer, so the shoe is sort of on the other foot for me in this role in trying not to be a stickler about the "rules," whatever they are as the players see them).

I saw this as a fun exercise in creative writing for film lovers. I have participated in spoiler games before, but happened by chance and imagination on making the game more interesting by forcing the spoiler to be terribly brief. I picked three words because it forces you to think and edit yourself and be creative (to me the greater fun by far is in coming up with the "spoilers," and not as much in getting the answers, but that's fun too). Again, truly spoiling a film limits you to certain genres, in my opinion, but I have friends who regard telling them anything about a movie other than when it's playing and who stars in it to be "spoiling it," so maybe there is room somewhere in between those two extremes to have a little fun, no?

I never intended to mislead anyone about the point of playing, and I apologize if anyone feels misled or cheated. If you are dissatisfied with some of the "spoilers," well, you don't have to answer them. Frankly, I don't think tightening the rules further is going to make the game any more fun or bring more players into it. If you disagree, then please say so. I'm open to suggestions and criticism, but I don't want to kill the thread, and that's what I'm afraid of doing if we change it further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

By the way, is "Dinner party corpse" Clue?

No. I think that would be "corpses." There is only one corpse in this classic.
post #93 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Personally, I think 3 word synopsis works just as well, just as long as the film or spoiler is majorly summed up enough to be recognizable once you know what the answer is.

Thanks. I agree.
post #94 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Yes. (I mentioned in my earlier post that one of my spoilers utterly trivialized a grand epic, and this was it. -- good job!)
Good points, all. Of course some of them are genuine spoilers. It's great if you can actually spoil a classic film in three or fewer words, but that's only really if there's a reveal or a twist or a mystery to solve, isn't it? I mean, it almost has to be a thriller or a mystery film in order to be spoiled, right?

How would you "spoil" Lawrence of Arabia, anyway? What is there to spoil? ...

Well, I would say a thriller or a mystery might be subject to one big spoiler, but virtually every film whose makers want you to wonder "what happens next?" is subject to several spoilers throughout the movie. Murder on the Orient Express might be known for one big spoiler...but Lawrence of Arabia has several of them, too. How about "Larry kills Gasim", for example? If I hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia before but someone behind me at the theater conveyed the essence of that spoiler sometime during Lawrence's heroic rescue of him on the other side of the Devil's Anvil, it would do a lot of spoiling of my enjoyment of the movie. I suppose it is the difference between THE spoiler in a movie and A spoiler in a movie.

On another note, in the spirit of you helping us (me) solve the "English gets sandy" entry with your hint about there being a grand epic among the unsolved update list you provided (post #85), I'll offer a hint, too. Now that Kilgore has solved the "Passengers all guilty" spoiler, I'm surprised the mystery of your #6 update entry still hasn't been solved... wink.gif
post #95 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I would say a thriller or a mystery might be subject to one big spoiler, but virtually every film whose makers want you to wonder "what happens next?" is subject to several spoilers throughout the movie. Murder on the Orient Express might be known for one big spoiler...but Lawrence of Arabia has several of them, too. How about "Larry kills Gasim", for example? If I hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia before but someone behind me at the theater conveyed the essence of that spoiler sometime during Lawrence's heroic rescue of him on the other side of the Devil's Anvil, it would do a lot of spoiling of my enjoyment of the movie. I suppose it is the difference between THE spoiler in a movie and A spoiler in a movie.

Agreed, and that was a gut wrenching scene, although I must say as many times as I've seen the film, I could never have told you Gasim's name.
Quote:
On another note, in the spirit of you helping us (me) solve the "English gets sandy" entry with your hint about there being a grand epic among the unsolved update list you provided (post #85), I'll offer a hint, too. Now that Kilgore has solved the "Passengers all guilty" spoiler, I'm surprised the mystery of your #6 update entry still hasn't been solved... wink.gif

Ha. I'm still at a loss about that one. I must not have seen it. I have some embarrassing gaps in my lack of viewing of several classics that many film buffs my age have seen.
post #96 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

"...I also cook."

I don't have a new clue to offer, but I will guess on this one. Is it Under Siege? Not exactly a classic, but that was a famous punchline in that movie.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #97 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try not to derail this further with the discussion of LofA, but to me I suppose the biggest spoiler in the film was that Lawrence, this refined proper English gentleman and intellectual, with nary a callous on his hands or bit of dirt under his nails, once put into the Bedouin habitat and allowed to lead them into battle, actually enjoyed killing, something he discovered disturbed him once he grasped it. He seemed to relish it in the heat of combat, but regret it later. His actions during one particularly brutal and relentless massacre would by today's standards almost certainly be considered war crimes.
post #98 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try not to derail this further with the discussion of LofA, but to me I suppose the biggest spoiler in the film was that Lawrence, this refined proper English gentleman and intellectual, with nary a callous on his hands or bit of dirt under his nails, once put into the Bedouin habitat and allowed to lead them into battle, actually enjoyed killing, something he discovered disturbed him once he grasped it. He seemed to relish it in the heat of combat, but regret it later. His actions during one particularly brutal and relentless massacre would by today's standards almost certainly be considered war crimes.

Similar to the way several here are ok with the Three Words or Less condition drifting occasionally into more-or-less a synopsis of a movie rather than a spoiler in it (I'm actually ok with that, too, just thought it was time for someone to acknowledge it), I personally think the kind of "derailment" you refer to above is more than ok on this thread. I don't think it derails the thread at all for us to go off on a bit of a side trip to discuss the movies, synopses or spoilers brought up on it. After all, that is one great pleasure of any parlor or board game; to spark conversation among the players about whatever comes up in the course of the game and not just a single-minded focus on the game itself. cool.gif
Will2007 likes this.
post #99 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: 6) Judge wasn't dead
Quote:

Ha. I'm still at a loss about that one. I must not have seen it. I have some embarrassing gaps in my lack of viewing of several classics that many film buffs my age have seen.

biggrin.gif I did a search on the title for which that is a big spoiler here and nothing came up. According to my search, this movie/title has apparently never been mentioned or discussed on this site but I believe wholeheartedly that it more than qualifies as a "classic" and a much better known one than that search result would suggest. Maybe it is the fact that it has apparently never been mentioned on this site that makes me want to offer another hint to see if anyone else will ever think of it. Fun.

A popular "classic", it was not only remade multiple times for theatrical release and television, its premise has been the basis for a slew of other domestic and international movies. The source for it is also well-known for its success and popularity in media other than film and television, yet it has apparently never been brought up on this site. hmm. There is a specific reason I decided to offer that first hint after Kilgore guessed the spoiler for Murder on the Orient Express...
post #100 of 413 Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, time to take if off the table...
Quote:
3) Dinner party corpse.

Rope

Sleepy Becky succumbs
post #101 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Re: 6) Judge wasn't dead

Ten Little Indians.

(I read several Agatha Christie novels and stories as a kid, and I believe I read And Then There Were None when I was about 10 or 11, so it's been a while, and I can't remember which version of the film I've seen or when).

Bogeyman gentle savior.
post #102 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Repost from Post #85, Updated 09/26/2013 to include solved spoilers and new ones still in play.

So you don't have to go through the whole thread to find them, I have compiled the ones still in play at the moment here in this one post. I will list them and number them for the sake of keeping track, but of course anyone can answer them in any order (and don't forget to add your own spoiler for another film when you answer any of these; that way it keeps the game going):

1) "...I also cook."

2) No good Veda.

3) Dinner party corpse.

4) Bagged crowned head.

5) English gets sandy.

6) Judge wasn't dead.

7) Heroin, then endorphins.

8) Tenderfoot gets credit.

9) She reappears, pianistically.

10) Frog mastermind escapes.

11) Falls on detonator.

12) Sleepy Becky succumbs.

13) Bogeyman gentle savior.
post #103 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Frog mastermind escapes.

The Wind in the Willows.
post #104 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

11) Falls on detonator.

13) Bogeyman gentle savior

Bridge on the River Kwai & To Kill a Mockingbird

Flees Nazi Jamboree

-Bill
post #105 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

The Wind in the Willows.

I was thinking of something else.

-Bill
post #106 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To Kill a Mockingbird

-Bill

Yes, of course. Excellent.

Quote:

I was thinking of something else.

-Bill

Hmmm...I got nothing.
post #107 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Frog mastermind escapes.

Same movie: "Popeye plugs coworker".

-Bill
post #108 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Bagged crowned head

Same movie: "Crippled Peachy survives".

-Bill
post #109 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
No good Veda.

Veda no good!

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill
post #110 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same movie: "Popeye plugs coworker".

-Bill

The French Connection.

Babe's dentist knifed.
post #111 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Veda no good!

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill

Good clue and spoiler, but I never saw the film or any remakes (and I cheated to solve it), so I'll let someone else get it.
post #112 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Repost from Post #85, Updated 09/26/2013 to include solved spoilers and new ones still in play.

So you don't have to go through the whole thread to find them, I have compiled the ones still in play at the moment here in this one post. I will list them and number them for the sake of keeping track, but of course anyone can answer them in any order (and don't forget to add your own spoiler for another film when you answer any of these; that way it keeps the game going):

1) "...I also cook."

2) No good Veda.

3) Dinner party corpse.

4) Bagged crowned head.

5) English gets sandy.

6) Judge wasn't dead.

7) Heroin, then endorphins.

8) Tenderfoot gets credit.

9) She reappears, pianistically.

11) Falls on detonator.

12) Sleepy Becky succumbs.

13) Bogeyman gentle savior.

I may have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any guesses for my spoiler from the other day:

Wallace / 4
post #113 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

I may have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any guesses for my spoiler from the other day:

Wallace / 4

I forget the original clue...is that BRAVEHEART?

Ick!

-Bill
post #114 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ten Little Indians.

(I read several Agatha Christie novels and stories as a kid, and I believe I read And Then There Were None when I was about 10 or 11, so it's been a while, and I can't remember which version of the film I've seen or when).
That's it! The one I was thinking of is the one from 1945 more commonly known as And Then There Were None (despite the more scandalous original English title for it...) and not Ten Little Indians, which was used for at least a couple of remakes. But that title will do for me. Odd that such a fun classic, based on what I believe is Agatha Christie's #1 best-selling book that also became a hit stage play, with a terrific cast and beautifully directed by Rene' Clair would be as forgotten as it is today. Maybe because the available home video versions are not exactly top notch.
post #115 of 413 Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be shocked if this is it...but I've got to put it out there so it can be shot down and I can move on in life:

The Maze

"wheel"s a gun
post #116 of 413 Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Frog mastermind escapes.

I would be shocked if this is it...but I've got to put it out there so it can be shot down and I can move on in life:

The Maze

Someone got this: The French Connection. They call the smuggler ":the Frog" (don't they???)

-Bill
post #117 of 413 Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I forget the original clue...is that BRAVEHEART?

Ick!

-Bill

Braveheart it is!
post #118 of 413 Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Flees Nazi Jamboree

-Bill

The Great Escape.

Babe's dentist knifed. -- this is a spoiler from yesterday. Here's a clue: Runner's brother smuggles.
post #119 of 413 Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
No good Veda (Ann Blyth) is Mildred Pierce. (Shout out to Bill!)

Preacher stalks children.
post #120 of 413 Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone got this: The French Connection. They call the smuggler ":the Frog" (don't they???)

-Bill

Oh, I see now. It came in after a different clue was given. Ah...freedom.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page