Best way to enjoy a film-Dont watch the trailer! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When i was a kid I lived for the trailers on tv and at the movies.The problem was when i saw the film most of the stuff had already been revealed in the trailer.I was either waiting for the things i saw in the trailer to appear on screen or trying to figure out how those things played out in the film.Everything but actually experiencing a film story being told for the first time.Last night i saw and loved World War Z because I had no idea what this film was about or looked like.i read later that many people complained the best stuff was already shown in the trailer.I rest my case.
I do everything I can to avoid seeing these previews by watching most films on dvd where I can jump to the actual feature.I dont even spend any time looking at the dvd case.Best way to get a look at whats coming without ruining the experience is to visit Rotten tomatoes every Friday for the small blurb on what new films were just released..So much more exciting to see a film and everything in it for the first time.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Some people enjoy going into a movie cold, whereas others (like me) enjoy knowing what the film is going to be like and reading in depth reviews before going in. There is nothing worse about the movie watching experience to me than going into a movie cold and discovering that it's something that just doesn't appeal to me in the least or is an irredeemable piece of dreck. Knowing things about it in advance allow me to minimize the chances of its not appealing to me or being dreck.

Trailers can be good or bad, revealing or not, and sometimes quite misleading. I don't seek to avoid them altogether, and sometimes a trailer is the only way I hear about a film I'm interested in seeing. I agree that some give away too much, but frankly I would rather err on that side than to be mislead about what a film is going to be like on screen from a trailer that makes it look good when it isn't.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I have to see a trailer of some sorts before I see a movie. I don't like going in cold, ever.

The only way I see a movie is if I have interest in it and I can't get fully into a movie just by reading a simple synopsis or description from somebody else. I have to see something. Unfortunately trailers are not always the best way to gauge the quality of the full movie but this is what I need to get interest or not. Sure every once in a while I'll be adventurous but usually I need a taste of some kind first.

So all that being said, I can't say a trailer made me enjoy a movie any more or less. Now if this is more about the subject of trailers revealing too much... well, now that's different.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Now if this is more about the subject of trailers revealing too much... well, now that's different.

That has been a problem from time to time. First movie I remember having a plot blowing trailer was Superman III, where several shots that were obviously from the end of the movie were shown.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I have to agree with the OP.

I will watch a trailer for a movie I am not sure whether or not I want to see.
If I determine I want to eventually see it, I stop watching trailers its trailers.

Otherwise, it is too easy for me to guess 90% of the plot.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I neither seek out nor avoid trailers (usually: I avoided learning anything about Prometheus because I wanted no preliminary bias. I was a huge fan of the original Alien, with diminishing appreciation for the sequels).

Now and then a trailer is a good advertisement for a film, but often it has the reverse effect. (Actually at lot of marketing is like that. I'm less likely to buy products when I have seen their ads).

For example: the recent Dark Shadows seemed like an amusing concept. But the trailer: yikes. The trailer for Ender's Game makes it look pathetic.

We could have a thread for worst/most discouraging or deflating trailer. I probably wouldn't have seen it, but my entry would be that Ben Stiller one where he marries the obnoxious woman and they go to Mexico... no loss; I've never seen him do a single funny thing.

-Bill
post #7 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For example: the recent Dark Shadows seemed like an amusing concept. But the trailer: yikes.

Good example, Bill.

I can only speak for myself, but at first I was slightly intrigued that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp were going to team up once again to do Dark Shadows. I loved the show as a kid, but then I saw the trailer(s) for it. Wow. You couldn't pay me enough money to sit through that. Had I watched that movie and gone in cold because my girlfriend insisted we not watch trailers, I would have been irritated that I fell for that. There are too many movies and not enough time to sit through really bad ones. In that regard, trailers can serve as a screening device.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I'm less likely to buy products when I have seen their ads.
I thought I was the only one like that.biggrin.gif

Quote:
The trailer for Ender's Game makes it look pathetic.
IMO, it reflects the difficulty of trying to make a movie based on an overrated book.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

There are too many movies and not enough time to sit through really bad ones.
Amen to that.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Because I do 99.9% of my viewing from Netflix, I can watch a trailer now and by the time it comes to BD I won’t remember anything that I saw. Short-term memory loss has its advantages. smile.gif

Also, when it comes to horror, political, or “teen” coming of age movies, I like to check them out so that I can get an idea whether I think the wife will be interested or not. Compromise – it really isn’t a bad thing. wink.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Because I do 99.9% of my viewing from Netflix, I can watch a trailer now and by the time it comes to BD I won’t remember anything that I saw. Short-term memory loss has its advantages. smile.gif
I was going to admit to that shortcoming myself....but I forgot.

Quote:
Compromise – it really isn’t a bad thing. wink.gif
Tom, take no prisoners.
Otherwise, you have to care, feed, and clothe them.....cool.gif

post #11 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

There are certain movies you already know you are guaranteed to see. What's the point of watching a trailer for the new Star Wars? It's not like you are not going to see the movie.

After the prequel trilogy and J.J. Abrams latest Star Trek, my paying to see the next Star Wars is certainly not guaranteed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #12 of 12 Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

After the prequel trilogy and J.J. Abrams latest Star Trek, my paying to see the next Star Wars is certainly not guaranteed.
You actually PAY to see a movie?tongue.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page