Transformers 4: Age of Extinction (2014) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #91 of 207 Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I watched last night here in Australia and I am disappointed!
2 hours and 45 minutes to tell a story and didn't. Transformers need a legitimate screen play writer like Christopher Nolan. This movie drags on! Only positive is plenty of LFE! Maybe the most LFE I have ever heard in a movie. And normally I would be excited to run a movie like this through my system at home but I seriously cant justify buying the movie when it comes to blu ray! Even if its in the bargain bin 2 for 15 dollars!! I'm looking forward to talking about the movie once most people have seen it and hearing what others think.
I saw it in a Dolby Atmos theatre and I don't think the movie was optimized for Atmos like Edge of Tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140625_202739.jpg (138.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1403691257382.jpg (211.7 KB, 13 views)

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA

Last edited by hatlesschimp; 06-26-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 207 Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Great to hear, Franin! So glad LaBoof was replaced. I can't wait to see this in IMAX 3D and have my rib caged shattered by bone crushing LFE. As you can tell, I'm a bit excited...
I agree with you Wabo LaBoof is gone. But you will enjoy this one
post #93 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
For the most part I really like Michael Bay's movies. The Rock is one of my all time favorites, as is the first Transformers.

This was the worst movie I've ever paid money to see. It's like they had three movies they accidently edited together. Nothing makes sense, nothing builds to a climax, and it could've had an entire hour cut out of it. I'm so disappointed; I think it was some kind of elaborate joke by Bay.

His movies are all really funny despite a bunch of juvenile jokes aimed at 10 year olds. Hardly anyone in my packed theater laughed. There were several scenes that I think were supposed to be funny that fell completely flat.

AoE will definitely be his last Transformers film. It's going to be a huge flop after this weekend.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #94 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 134
General consensus is looking...less than awesome. Even worse than the second one.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #95 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
General consensus is looking...less than awesome. Even worse than the second one.
That's really bad, not even Michael Bay liked the second one.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #96 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
Like I said, I loved the first one. I remembered how much I wanted a car at 17 and what it was like to finally begin dating and all that. I thought they balanced the suburbian middle class comedy with the military invasion plot really well.

The second one was kind of a mess and I attributed that to the writers strike. Some good ideas but a lot of lazy ones too. Bay has had juvenille humor as far back as Bad Boys 2, but this movie is where I think he really got the reputation for it.

The third one had a few minor problems but I still really liked it. In a perfect world where sequels aren't made without a real story to tell I think this wouldve been a good ending point.

Age of Extinction is just a mess. Walhbergs character is supposed to be kind of a juxtopositon to the Witwickeys - a broke blue collar guy. He does alot to make that credible and be sympethetic, then an extra will get involved in a scene and he becomes a huge jerk. There are background characters and extras doing kung fu for no reason. The Dinobots - what should have been the center piece of the film - were shoehorned in. And the music, one of my favorite parts of the original trilogy, was bad. I loved the scores to parts 1 and 3 especially. Nothing here was memorable.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #97 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Transformers 4 is NOT a reboot. It takes place after the events of TF3.
Spot on

Frank

post #98 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Walhbergs character is supposed to be kind of a juxtopositon to the Witwickeys - a broke blue collar guy. He does alot to make that credible and be sympethetic, then an extra will get involved in a scene and he becomes a huge jerk.
So, he goes from being Eddie Adams from Torrance...to Dirk Diggler.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #99 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, he goes from being Eddie Adams from Torrance...to Dirk Diggler.
I was hoping he would sing the song The Touch and bring it full circle.

My HTPC front end set up
post #100 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Damn. This sucks. I've heard nothing good of T4 yet.

How about the A/V?!?! Good action set pieces at least? This is the stuff that keeps me seeing these.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #101 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If you've seen the trailer you've seen where this alien ship thing is sucking up parts of the city. The sound there might be the strongest sound I've ever heard anywhere - it was really cool. The fact that they shot so much on Imax (or was the entire thing done that way?) was definitely a plus as well. And as always Bay's films are some of the best composed camera work. Even simple dialog scenes have great sets and interesting visual components.

My complaint about the action scenes is that they don't really go anywhere, which I thought was disappointing and unusual for Bay. His films are usually cut together so that there is a clear objective to any part of a big action scene. The entire second half of this film was an action scene and I don't think I'm exaggerating. In the first movie everything revolves around getting the cube out of the city. In the second one they are trying to stop that pyramid doomsday machine. The third one is taking control of the space bridge pillar thing. AoE really lacked good build up to moments like this. It has an objective they are working for but you really don't see how they work towards it.

It seemed like a lot of the scene ideas and visuals were taken from the 1986 animated film. I could say to myself "oh yeah, they're doing this as kind of an homage to the animated movie," but without having seen that movie there is no context, as I realized when my girlfriend was asking me basic questions about why things were happening.

My HTPC front end set up

Last edited by pittsoccer33; 06-27-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #102 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
I'm the opposite I loved it.
post #103 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

How about the A/V?!?! Good action set pieces at least? This is the stuff that keeps me seeing these.
At my theatre the AV was fantastic it's going to sound great at home.
post #104 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Franin 

Count me in, Im looking forward in watching it.

+1. Especially now that Shia LaBeouf has been replaced with Mark Wahlberg! Huge upgrade there. The Sam Witwicki character (all the Witwicki's actually) got really old really quick. The dad was probably the least annoying character but they all need to go. Now while I liked all these movies (to varying degrees), I agree with the earlier comment about the crude humor. It needs to go also. That was not in the original Transformers that many of us still hold near and dear to our hearts and as James Cameron has proven time and again, you don't need crude humor to draw in the crowds, you just need a well written and acted movie. At least they still have Peter Cullen as the voice of Optimus Prime. Wouldn't be the same without him.
Not only does it feature the voice talent of Peter Cullen, but Frank Welker, the voice of the original Megatron we saw on cartoons, is also the voice of Galvatron. I never liked the Bay films just for the fact he did not cast Frank Welker as the voice of Megatron. Come on who would not want the man who made Megatron doing the voice? We are talking about the same guy who voiced Fred from Scooby-Doo! Hugo Weaving is good, but everytime Megatron spoke it sounded like i was watching a Matrix reboot.
post #105 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
Isn't China building 300 new 3-D IMAX theaters and I'm sure that's the reason that this installment is being released in 3-D. It isn't for us!!!
Thought China was calling them three dee eyemax theaters to avoid paying money to those who created it.
post #106 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Come on now, S². Our brotha from down under liked it. And since every creature down there is trying to kill you, I'll take his word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
At my theatre the AV was fantastic it's going to sound great at home.
Can't wait, Franin. Hoping to take the fam to this next week.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #107 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Michael Bay needs serious help writing and directing these movies. I understand he likes explosions and maybe a REAL director can hire him as explosion coordinator but that is all.

I just cannot understand through 4 movies time and time again certain robots dissappear in battle until they are needed to progress the story. I hate this crap.

I cant count how many times bumblebee suddenly dissappeared on screen until his character was needed. LIke the space ship. He goes in with the autbots then dissappears and finally shows up to take out the robot dogs.

Cmon. Then during the car chase with galvetron the autbots drive off screen and are never seen from again, then suddenly show up to get back on the space ship. WHAT?

post #108 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post
Michael Bay needs serious help writing and directing these movies. I understand he likes explosions and maybe a REAL director can hire him as explosion coordinator but that is all.

I just cannot understand through 4 movies time and time again certain robots dissappear in battle until they are needed to progress the story. I hate this crap.

I cant count how many times bumblebee suddenly dissappeared on screen until his character was needed. LIke the space ship. He goes in with the autbots then dissappears and finally shows up to take out the robot dogs.

Cmon. Then during the car chase with galvetron the autbots drive off screen and are never seen from again, then suddenly show up to get back on the space ship. WHAT?
You never liked the first 3
post #109 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This jumps to No.1 on the list of the worst movies of the year, by far.

post #110 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Oh and the biggest issue with me

Optimus has been running away and driving away from decepticons in his slow truck for 4 movies straight and suddenly for an unexplained reason has rocket boosters on his legs to fly in to freaking space? WHAT? Michael Bay needs to jump off a bridge at this point.

post #111 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Transformers 4 is a real yawner: continual action with explosions eventually becomes boring. Audio wise in Dolby Atmos, it sounds just fine and is one of the better Atmos mixes. This is clearly a no buy when it comes out on BR, unless it drops to $7.99 or lower.
post #112 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 392
post #113 of 207 Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
15% at Rotten Tomatoes.
hatlesschimp likes this.

Sanjay
post #114 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That looks good. I might go for that my son will love that
post #115 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Well, I saw this with my kids yesterday and frankly, got what I expected and then some. This is a Michael Bay film. Period. Go in knowing that and leave satisfied. It's hard for me to be overly critical about a movie about transforming robots that includes a transforming fire breathing T. rex. I think the expectations are way too high but that's just me. Sure there are things that didn't make total sense but again...fire breathing T. rex. Wahlberg did a good job with what was there and Tucci was good and funny enough to keep a 12 and 9 year old in stitches even well after we got home. Someone commented about people doing Kung fu for no reason, well that was actually explained but not well developed. I use that to bring up Bingbing who as slight as her character was, she was memorable. I love the redesign of Prime as it makes him look more like a muscular superhero. Kelsey Grammar was excellent and though also under developed, Lockdown was frightening in a good way.

There is a whole lot to like about this movie IMO again, as long as you go in understanding it's a Bay film. The first is still the best overall because it's so relatable. AoE is better than Fallen and very close behind if not a tie to Moon depending on how you evaluate. Sonically...to semi quote Jaws...You're gonna need a bigger amp! I have never been to a movie where I felt it consistently in the seat. If the movie had been a half hour longer I would have needed a wet nap, lol.

Lower the over the top expectations, unplug your brain for a few hours and have fun with it. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again but I would if the opportunity was presented with good reason. And it's an easy BD buy.

One last thought that occurred to me during the movie, Megan Fox has been the best female cast of all the movies IMO. The other two are kind of forgettable.
Goalline and jproy13 like this.
post #116 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
Well, I saw this with my kids yesterday and frankly, got what I expected and then some. This is a Michael Bay film. Period. Go in knowing that and leave satisfied. It's hard for me to be overly critical about a movie about transforming robots that includes a transforming fire breathing T. rex. I think the expectations are way too high but that's just me. Sure there are things that didn't make total sense but again...fire breathing T. rex. Wahlberg did a good job with what was there and Tucci was good and funny enough to keep a 12 and 9 year old in stitches even well after we got home. Someone commented about people doing Kung fu for no reason, well that was actually explained but not well developed. I use that to bring up Bingbing who as slight as her character was, she was memorable. I love the redesign of Prime as it makes him look more like a muscular superhero. Kelsey Grammar was excellent and though also under developed, Lockdown was frightening in a good way.

There is a whole lot to like about this movie IMO again, as long as you go in understanding it's a Bay film. The first is still the best overall because it's so relatable. AoE is better than Fallen and very close behind if not a tie to Moon depending on how you evaluate. Sonically...to semi quote Jaws...You're gonna need a bigger amp! I have never been to a movie where I felt it consistently in the seat. If the movie had been a half hour longer I would have needed a wet nap, lol.

Lower the over the top expectations, unplug your brain for a few hours and have fun with it. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again but I would if the opportunity was presented with good reason. And it's an easy BD buy.

One last thought that occurred to me during the movie, Megan Fox has been the best female cast of all the movies IMO. The other two are kind of forgettable.
Exactly that's what it is all about sit back and enjoy. I like them all.

Frank

post #117 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet and I will more then likely wait until it comes out on Blu. But so far the reviews aint good. But what do I care? I liked the first 3 and I am sure I will like this one as well.
post #118 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Aw jeez, what a shocker...a disappointing Bay action movie----NOT!
For a while there I had an usual glimmer of hope that the inset of Walberg in the series was the spark they needed but that has been shot to hell after reading y'all feedback.

After the last one, Dark of The Moon where it was the same wash-lather-and repeat LOUD & LOUDER in your face action sequences that seemed to go on and on pointlessly without any purpose or plot that I was done with Bay & his bots.

BUTT, cause Bay's movies do have a big epic production feel to his movies I will again check it out just for that alone when it's out of dvd with zero expectations. I still don't know why the 2nd one Revenge of the Fall is still getting the butt of the jokes when it was actually still the best one of the series. It had a decent plot, a sense of real urgency and there were funny stuff sprinkled through out the movie. It didn't feel like a 2 hr trailer like the 3rd one.

The 3rd one was so mind numbingly stupid, had no soul or direction just endless action & more meaningless sequences that had nothing to do with anything like it just had to in there for the hell of it. I'm just very curious if this 4th can be any worse, my gut tells me no way Jose not a chance and it better not be worse.
post #119 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Aw jeez, what a shocker...a disappointing Bay action movie----NOT!
For a while there I had an usual glimmer of hope that the inset of Walberg in the series was the spark they needed but that has been shot to hell after reading y'all feedback.

After the last one, Dark of The Moon where it was the same wash-lather-and repeat LOUD & LOUDER in your face action sequences that seemed to go on and on pointlessly without any purpose or plot that I was done with Bay & his bots.

BUTT, cause Bay's movies do have a big epic production feel to his movies I will again check it out just for that alone when it's out of dvd with zero expectations. I still don't know why the 2nd one Revenge of the Fall is still getting the butt of the jokes when it was actually still the best one of the series. It had a decent plot, a sense of real urgency and there were funny stuff sprinkled through out the movie. It didn't feel like a 2 hr trailer like the 3rd one.

The 3rd one was so mind numbingly stupid, had no soul or direction just endless action & more meaningless sequences that had nothing to do with anything like it just had to in there for the hell of it. I'm just very curious if this 4th can be any worse, my gut tells me no way Jose not a chance and it better not be worse.

If you thought the 3rd was dumb the 4th was worse.

I feel im losing IQ points when I watch a Michael bay film. I can unplug my brain for a few hours but some things are just insulting to my intelligence and this is one of them.

Even an amateur director like George lucas wouldn't make the mistakes Michael bay keeps making time and time again.
post #120 of 207 Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 416
These movies are all about the A/V spectacle and on those grounds, they deliver in spades assuming you are viewing on a setup that will show them off. All 3 are great escapism cranked up to reference in my HT and hit the mark when the mood strikes for that type of thing. Three for me is the most entertaining from an A/V standpoint (best overall audio of the three and one of the best surround tracks on blu IMO). Looking forward to taking part 4 for a ride in my HT.

Edit: Just hope they don't screw up the 3d transfer like part three where the brightness changed part way through.
Morpheo and GoCaboNow like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 06-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page