Captain Phillips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44

I had zero interest in seeing this movie when I initially saw the trailer. And watching subsequent trailers did nothing to change my mind. Being a black man, I really didn't want to be in a movie theater with a bunch of people hoping that all of the black guys would end up dead. But, I got free tickets to a screening and thought I might a well. Who doesn't like a free movie.

I'm glad that i did. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was well acted on all sides and well put together. Towards the end, it was feeling as though it was a bit too long even though it wasn't. It just had a bit too much tome at the end where the tension levels dropped and not enough was happening to keep you as engaged as you were before. Luckily, this didn't last long, and the finale was satisfyingly gripping. The movie wasn't perfect, and I imagine it gave you only the slightest of glimpses into what it must have been like to have something like this happen, and the ensuing emotional fall afterwards, but this is a movie I would, and will purchase to watch a gain at home. I recommend it.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 21
Thanks for your review. Yeah, it looks like tense drama from the trailer and I'll probably see it eventually myself. Most of the films with Tom Hanks I really end up liking (except for that ghastly film Larry Crowne) and this should be no exception. There is actually a law suit filed by the crew of the ship against the ship owners. Interesting twist but I'm sure it won't get much attention. Apparently the captain knew that their location was within pirate infested waters and he chose to sail there anyway:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439561/Captain-Phillips-lawsuit-says-risked-Maersk-Alabama-crews-lives.html
post #3 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The crew says the movie is Hollywood BS and that their captain had a reputation as an arrogant idiot, which he proved by his actions leading up to and during the pirate seizure. They go on to say that the movie is fiction in depicting the events which actually happened.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #4 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Having seen the movie once on opening day, I can only comment about what I saw. If one has followed the story at all in the news, then the outcome is known far in advance. It just felt like the movie could have been edited, meaning that it could have been shorter. It is not a nail biter that has one on the edge of one's seat. It is a standard, well done movie, but not one that breaks any new ground. If one is interested in the story, it is worth seeing once, meaning that I never need to see it again in any form, especially BR. Unfortunately, it does not live up to the promise of what the trailer suggested: a riveting drama.
post #5 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

The crew says the movie is Hollywood BS and that their captain had a reputation as an arrogant idiot, which he proved by his actions leading up to and during the pirate seizure. They go on to say that the movie is fiction in depicting the events which actually happened.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/
This is pretty damning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Having seen the movie once on opening day, I can only comment about what I saw. If one has followed the story at all in the news, then the outcome is known far in advance. It just felt like the movie could have been edited, meaning that it could have been shorter. It is not a nail biter that has one on the edge of one's seat. It is a standard, well done movie, but not one that breaks any new ground. If one is interested in the story, it is worth seeing once, meaning that I never need to see it again in any form, especially BR. Unfortunately, it does not live up to the promise of what the trailer suggested: a riveting drama.
I'll wait for the BD.
Although after reading some links about the real story, I may just give it a pass.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This is pretty damning.
I'll wait for the BD.
Although after reading some links about the real story, I may just give it a pass.

I agree. Not giving these people a dime for a ticket since they've so misrepresented what actually happened. I'm surprised and disappointed at Tom Hanks. I've heard him give a couple of interviews, flogging the "Phillips is a hero" angle. Thought he was better than that.
post #7 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I agree. Not giving these people a dime for a ticket since they've so misrepresented what actually happened. I'm surprised and disappointed at Tom Hanks. I've heard him give a couple of interviews, flogging the "Phillips is a hero" angle. Thought he was better than that.
He is just an actor....not a profession known for attracting high IQs.wink.gif

post #8 of 107 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
There is always a flip side to any coin. So the crew has a different story from a captain, what a shock.Since none of us been there it's up to each of to choose who to believe, but I have better things to worry about. YMMV.

The Hun
post #9 of 107 Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I've said it several times before but will repeat here that any "Based on a True Story" film inevitably ends up being about 95 percent "Based on" and only 5 percent "True Story" because that's what Hollywood does. Consequently the controversy over how factual Captain Phillips is didn't do a thing to dissuade me from seeing the film. After all, it's supposed to be popular entertainment, not a history lesson.

I saw Captain Phillips last Friday but was disappointed. I was looking for something approaching greatness but thought the movie was spoiled by being about 30 minutes too long. Even Tom Hanks wonderful performance in the title role wasn't enough to save it, it seems to me.
post #10 of 107 Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

There is always a flip side to any coin. So the crew has a different story from a captain, what a shock.Since none of us been there it's up to each of to choose who to believe, but I have better things to worry about. YMMV.

Except that the crew's story is backed up by the fact that the captain and Maersk (and every other ship sailing around the Horn of Africa) were warned by the U.S. Maritime Administration to stay 600 miles minimum from the Somali coast because, well, duh, pirates. And this wasn't a one-time thing, these warnings were going on for some time. The Maersk Alabama was about 200 miles from the coast when attacked. You don't have to be there when you can just do the math.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #11 of 107 Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

After all, it's supposed to be popular entertainment, not a history lesson.
I have to respectfully disagree.

Although I have said this before, my objection to Hollywood versions of true events is it ends up becoming "history" in the minds of non-historians (the general public) thru a perverse form of osmosis.
Like it or not, that is the Way of the Great Unwashed in the 21st century.

post #12 of 107 Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Let stick to movie discussion, please. (cleanup)

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #13 of 107 Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a prediction: In a month or two, most will have forgotten about Captain Phillips. It is that forgettable. After that, there will be interest in the BR for those who haven't seen the movie in the theater. Then it will be just as memorable as Elysium, an unfortunately over hyped Hollywood movie. The more time that elapses from opening day, the more I forget about it.
post #14 of 107 Old 10-16-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just a prediction: In a month or two, most will have forgotten about Captain Phillips. It is that forgettable. After that, there will be interest in the BR for those who haven't seen the movie in the theater. Then it will be just as memorable as Elysium, an unfortunately over hyped Hollywood movie. The more time that elapses from opening day, the more I forget about it.
Yes, Elysium was vastly overhyped, but this summer's "overhyped" movies were more than just one (see Pacific Rim).

post #15 of 107 Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Elysium was vastly overhyped, but this summer's "overhyped" movies were more than just one (see Pacific Rim).

You are forgetting Lone Ranger that has sunk that possible franchise for the foreseeable future.
post #16 of 107 Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The movie is an adventure, notice the director is Paul Greengrass, how much accuracy was there in the Bourne movies. This is a not a documentary.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #17 of 107 Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are forgetting Lone Ranger that has sunk that possible franchise for the foreseeable future.
I had forgotten it.
Selective memory, to be sure.biggrin.gif

post #18 of 107 Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Saw the movie yesterday. It was quite good (but not great) overall - it was a little slow in parts. The movie could've been cut to a shorter running time.
post #19 of 107 Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Saw the movie yesterday. It was quite good (but not great) overall - it was a little slow in parts. The movie could've been cut to a shorter running time.

I definitely agree that it would have benefitted from a shorter running time.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #20 of 107 Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My opinion: 'Captain Phillips' is the best movie of the year (so far)! 'Gravity' was at the top of my list for only 1 week before 'Captain Phillips' knocked it down to number 2.

The cooperation of the United States Navy played a huge role in the successful filming of 'Captain Phillips'. I've just finished watching a video (linked below) titled "Captain Phillips - The Role of the United States Navy". The video is 1 hour 15 minutes long. The first part of the video is a little bit dry, but it really picks up about 20 minutes in. The video ends with my favorite guest speaker of all, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the actual Navy Corpsman that played opposite Tom Hanks in the final, VERY emotional scene in the movie.

Before watching the video, I was not aware of just how few professional actors were used in the making of this movie. Real Navy personnel (active and retired) filled many roles, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
including the Seals that eventually ended the hostage situation.

Watching the video gave me an even greater appreciation for this wonderful movie! Of particular note is the repeated mentions of just how faithful the movie is to actual events (from Navy personnels' perspective). Yes, there are mentions of dramatic license taken (certain scenes compressed or expanded in time, etc.) but the guest speakers in this video all confirm there is definitely a strong level of realism to the movie.

This video contains many spoilers. If you intimately followed the real event and know or remember every detail, then there's not a whole lot to be spoiled, with the large exception of Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
how the movie ends with Hanks and the two Corpsman in the sick bay.
If you don't know or remember anything about the 'Captain Phillips' story, then I recommend you watch the movie BEFORE you watch this video.

Like I said, the video gets a bit of a dry start. But I was thoroughly engrossed from about the 20 minute mark through the rest of the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqfgpSj3gpk

Mark
post #21 of 107 Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Except that the crew's story is backed up by the fact that the captain and Maersk (and every other ship sailing around the Horn of Africa) were warned by the U.S. Maritime Administration to stay 600 miles minimum from the Somali coast because, well, duh, pirates. And this wasn't a one-time thing, these warnings were going on for some time. The Maersk Alabama was about 200 miles from the coast when attacked. You don't have to be there when you can just do the math.

I thought the differences between the stories were about the captain's heroism, which would require us to be present in order to pass a fair judgement. So it was all about warnings and distance from shore?

The Hun
post #22 of 107 Old 12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

The movie is an adventure, notice the director is Paul Greengrass, how much accuracy was there in the Bourne movies. This is a not a documentary.
He also directed "United 93" which was based on cell phone calls, airline and air control personnel accounts. Basically as close he could get to a documentary. Naturally I'm sure some things aren't accurate to the letter, but certainly much more credible then some fiction like the Bourne films.

The Hun
post #23 of 107 Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

I thought the differences between the stories were about the captain's heroism, which would require us to be present in order to pass a fair judgement. So it was all about warnings and distance from shore?

In light of the facts, a more accurate description of "what it was about" would have to include the Captain's arrogance, recklessness, and willingness to put his ship and crew in needless danger.
Tulpa and pokekevin like this.
post #24 of 107 Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Yeah, it's sort of like Superman saving the world from hurtling into the sun after he threw it there in the first place.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #25 of 107 Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

He also directed "United 93" which was based on cell phone calls, airline and air control personnel accounts. Basically as close he could get to a documentary. Naturally I'm sure some things aren't accurate to the letter, but certainly much more credible then some fiction like the Bourne films.

Bourne films are supposed to be credible? Thought those were spy novels. The first was fantastic BTW.

I have no problem with CP as entertainment, but like so many topical scripts, it suffers from
zero context. Why the S's were doing this? How did they evolve to be this desperate? Etc, etc.

The first act account on the beach was not enough IMO. This could still work to a fine dramatic
play for Hanks to work with, but it's just not there.

For the record, I think U93 is garbage. No one has any idea what happened. A few minutes of communication
does not fill a script OR any story. Just my opinion. No disrespect to anyone.
post #26 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Bourne films are supposed to be credible? Thought those were spy novels. The first was fantastic BTW.
I think all of them are pretty good, but the "credible" part was rather "irrelevant" in the true context of my entire post which was a response to someone else........and certainly won't warrant another round of discussion of it.

The Hun
post #27 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, it's sort of like Superman saving the world from hurtling into the sun after he threw it there in the first place.

Aha

The Hun
post #28 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Bourne films are supposed to be credible?
You're misinterpreting what he said, which is that they're NOT credible...
post #29 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

In light of the facts, a more accurate description of "what it was about" would have to include the Captain's arrogance, recklessness, and willingness to put his ship and crew in needless danger.
Haven't you learned not to badger this forum with facts?

What is on a screen HAS to be real history, dude.
The Navy supports this movie, so it has to be true, right?
Sheesh....wink.gif

post #30 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Haven't you learned not to badger this forum with facts?

What is on a screen HAS to be real history, dude.
The Navy supports this movie, so it has to be true, right?
Sheesh....wink.gif

ROFL, you couldn't be more right! As I have said before, and will no doubt say again, any "based on a true story" film is way more "based on" than true, and even the "based on" is problematical. smile.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page