AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

My pleasure. smile.gif

Yes, when the s*** starts hitting the fan, it is just flat out terrifying...and, IMO, even more so Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
with the absence of sccompanying sound in the vacuum.

I was calibrating a Sharp panel yesterday and realized that agressive FI in many displays and projectors that are capable of reaching "Soap Opera Effect" level could come in handy watching Gravity when it makes it to BD. We might be able to create our own "HFR" effect and find it quite embellishing with Gravity. Food for thought. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

I was calibrating a Sharp panel yesterday and realized that agressive FI in many displays and projectors that are capable of reaching "Soap Opera Effect" level could come in handy watching Gravity when it makes it to BD. We might be able to create our own "HFR" effect and find it quite embellishing with Gravity. Food for thought. smile.gif

But Gravity wasn't a High Frame Rate production. confused.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #153 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

But Gravity wasn't a High Frame Rate production. confused.gif

Go back to page 4, post 96. We discussed how some of simulate the HFR SOE effect.

EDIT: I know that sounds like I'm approaching heresey, but I don't think that the Camera Guild will yank my union card just for evaluating the effect. biggrin.gif
post #154 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:

Quote:

Go back to page 4, post 96. We discussed how some of simulate the HFR SOE effect.

EDIT: I know that sounds like I'm approaching heresey, but I don't think that the Camera Guild will yank my union card just for evaluating the effect. biggrin.gif

Yes, definitely. I don't currently own a video device with any FC/FI capability but the next thing on my list of upgrades is a nice, new 3D 1080p projector (to upgrade from my old 720p pj) and I'll be playing with those modes. Especially on movies like this one.

Good call, Cam.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #155 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Soap Opera Effect?? Why would you need it for Gravity, I saw no motion issues. confused.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #156 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I don't mean to speak for Cam Man but maybe instead of SoE he just meant Frame Creation/Interpolation?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #157 of 164 Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I don't mean to speak for Cam Man but maybe instead of SoE he just meant Frame Creation/Interpolation?
I figured that's where it was going, but why is needed in the first place with the film?

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #158 of 164 Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I figured that's where it was going, but why is needed in the first place with the film?
To make the motion more fluid (less judder), like in real life.

Roger

post #159 of 164 Old 11-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Does aggressive FI not create a sense of SOE? I personally don't like SOE for virtually all narrative filmmaking because it loses the sense of "once upon a time." I found HFR for The Hobbit the same problem. It "said" this is "immediate/live/taped" as opposed to once upon at time. The fantasy land of Hobbits needs "once upon a time." I could not resolve the psychological conflict. The 2D version retained/restored the proper feel.

IMO, Gravity suffers visually from a lack of resolution. This is also psychological because I/we are conditioned to seeing events in space on video. They are generally newsworthy, near-live events. I understand that cost and schedule prevent 4K CG, therefore no 4K version. Although HFR would not impart any more resolution, it might impart/restore a sense of immediacy that would heighten the sense of reality, therefore the emotional response to the events. As the director of photography of such a movie as Gravity, I would certainly discuss this with the director during development, and probably shoot tests to take a look to see if it works with the story. Maybe they did and decided it didn't work for them. Maybe they didn't think of it.
post #160 of 164 Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

Although HFR would not impart any more resolution...
Not visual resolution, but certainly temporal resolution.

Sanjay
post #161 of 164 Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

To make the motion more fluid (less judder), like in real life.

TBH, I didn't find the HFR version of the Hobbit to be more life like. Headache inducing as I wasn't used to it though:D

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #162 of 164 Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Not visual resolution, but certainly temporal resolution.

That's a better way to say it. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

TBH, I didn't find the HFR version of the Hobbit to be more life like. Headache inducing as I wasn't used to it though:D

TBH, I didn't exactly give it a long shot. While at the theater for another movie, I picked up a pair of glasses, and stepped in to watch about ten minutes; probabaly not enough time to induce a headache. biggrin.gif
post #163 of 164 Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

While at the theater for another movie, I picked up a pair of glasses, and stepped in to watch about ten minutes

But...but...that's illegal!! wink.gif
post #164 of 164 Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

But...but...that's illegal!! wink.gif

I have a good relationship with the manager. wink.gif When I'm there, I give him a heads up when panel alignment and such need attention. THX keeps them on their toes for the most part, though.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page