• 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 27 Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Starring;
Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Edward Norton, Mathieu Amalric, Saoirse Ronan, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Léa Seydoux, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Schwartzman, Jude Law, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, and introducing Tony Revolori.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I'm hoping this will rise above WA's usual meh fare....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 27 Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Cool. I usually dig his movies. I watched The Royal Tenenbaums and HATED it so much I had to eject it. Weirdly I watched it again a few years later and thought it was so funny. I guess the MK Ultra programming was installed better.

I loved Moonrise Kingdom not because it is great but because it's different from all the CG cartoons that are everywhere.
post #4 of 27 Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I loved Moonrise Kingdom not because it is great but because it's different from all the CG cartoons that are everywhere.
I would give it a 3 outta five stars due to its craftsmanship.
As far as seeing it again, nah.wink.gif

post #5 of 27 Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I would give it a 3 outta five stars due to its craftsmanship.
As far as seeing it again, nah.wink.gif

I can see that. I don't double dip his stuff often.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I've loved basically all of his stuff. I get what he's trying to do.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #7 of 27 Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wes Anderson Re-teams With Favorite Objects For 'Grand Budapest Hotel'
Quote:
Fans are excited for the director to be working with long-time favorite objects like magnifying glasses, bells and old trains again.
tongue.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Trailer...............

post #9 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing is certain: this has to be the Cast of the Year.eek.gifcool.gif
Scott Simonian and darthrsg like this.

post #10 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

One thing is certain: this has to be the Cast of the Year.eek.gifcool.gif

Wow! For real. I was sorta 'meh' but now I kinda actually would see it. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
He's become one of those Robert Altman type directors, who clearly actors like to work with so much that they will sign up for cheap just to get the opportunity.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #13 of 27 Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I will be there too. As some of you may recall, Wes Anderson's name is near the top of my favorite directors list. His sure handed direction and brilliant writing guarantee that all of his films are richly entertaining. I caught Moonrise Kingdom on one of the premium movie channels not long ago and found it just as wonderful this time as I had when I saw it in the theater, 9 Stars out of 10. Really, really looking forward to The Grand Budapest Hotel!
post #14 of 27 Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday and really liked it, 9 Stars out of 10. Don't know if it is fare for non Wes Anderson fans, we know who you are oink (smile.gif), but I thought it was terrific. It's large ensemble cast could not have been better. As is the case with all of Anderson's work, the film was choreographed with Swiss watch precision and moved at a breathtaking pace. One word of warning, though, it is dark and a bit sad. Nevertheless, it is mostly wildly funny and a feast for the eyes and ears from beginning to end.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm very much looking forward to this and other Wes Anderson movies.
Haven't seen any of his stuff yet and his name was completely strange to me until I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel trailer recently.
His style is very VERY appealing.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have long loved Wes Anderson's films and manage to see most of them in the theater. For reasons I can't explain from this remove, though, I had never seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou until I found it on ENCORE and watched it last night. Finally seeing it did nothing to diminish my high regard for Anderson's talent. Like all Anderson's films, The Life Aquatic is hard to categorize, other than to wonder at its visual style and beauty, sly humor, and breakneck pace. I don't think that it is quite as good as either The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdon, or Fantastic Mr. Fox but it is pretty damn good. Highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10!
post #17 of 27 Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 60
I saw my first Wes Anderson movie two days ago, here are my imressions:

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - 7,5

This is my premiere of Wes Anderson Cinema, a comedy-drama revolving around the Tenenbaum family. This director exerts an unmistakable cinematic style and reveals great attention to detail in all aspects that might influence the mise-en-scene and the expressive quality of the movie, scenery, sound, camera and editing work, cinematography, soundtrack, costumes and even the acting are all conditioned by the formal etiquette of the direction, technical virtuosity serving a somewhat baroque aesthetical sensibility that might not be to everyone's taste. Manneristic Cinema is how the work of this American director has been described. I find it a very appealing style and I think it has great potential to be interestingly developed in future works. Very funny and interesting the way that Wes carves his characters, not being exactly caricatures they have somewhat restricted behavioral patterns and eccentricity, yet they display a certain degree of complexity and this brings out psychological and emotional nuances that escape perception in many other films, but enhance the dramatic and comic effect of Wes Cinema. Artificial or not, the characters make perfect sense the way they are, that's the way they have to be. This film genre is not usually very interesting to me, but Wes Anderson stylized and bittersweet comedy offered me moments of pleasure and was music for my eyes (and ears), the only thing that I didn't care for was the story itself, Wes style and writing works very well to develop these humorous family tales, but it still seemed redundant to me, perhaps a good platform of cinematic experimentation for those starting out. The Royal Tenenbaums is worth a watch for those who enjoy these witty and tender comedies, Wes style fits like a glove in this genre and enriches it with a different cinematic quality.

Looking forward for more.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-02-2014, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday and really liked it, 9 Stars out of 10. Don't know if it is fare for non Wes Anderson fans, we know who you are oink (smile.gif), but I thought it was terrific. It's large ensemble cast could not have been better. As is the case with all of Anderson's work, the film was choreographed with Swiss watch precision and moved at a breathtaking pace. One word of warning, though, it is dark and a bit sad. Nevertheless, it is mostly wildly funny and a feast for the eyes and ears from beginning to end.
I would add that film balances out the quirky with humor more than some of his other films. There are some sequences in this film that are Monty Python worthy without being derivative.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #19 of 27 Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Late to the party but glad I made it. Beautiful imagery, like moving paintings. I can turn the volume and still enjoy this movie, but the dialogue and story were just great. Not much else to say other then Anderson made yet another masterpiece. At times I got a Terry Gilliam vibe, can't be sure but I imagine Anderson is a Gilliam fan.

James Reid:D
post #20 of 27 Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 AM

Liked: 5
Loved this film! I'm a bit of a Wes Anderson fan, so no surprise there, and I think this might be his best yet, though The Life Aquatic is hard to beat in my book...
post #21 of 27 Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wes' best work so far! Flawless!

post #22 of 27 Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Wes' best work so far! Flawless!
I watched this Friday night and enjoyed it immensely.

On Saturday, I had some friends over who wanted to watch Grand Budapest. So, I watched it again on Saturday evening. And totally enjoyed it again.

There aren't two many movies I would watch twice in a row.

Mike
post #23 of 27 Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Count me in with the group that just doesn't understand the appeal of Anderson's films.

A weak, meandering plot, filled with quirky but non-relatable characters, dialog that consists of impossibly long and convoluted sentences, often spoken by lifeless actors (Norton, Law, Wilson), sprinkled with allusions to artists, authors, and poets, giving the work a sense of pretentiousness that seems to counterbalance much of the whimsy exhibited by the lavish sets, props, costume design, and other fantastical elements.

The uninteresting story didn't go anywhere, and we didn't learn much of anything significant about the characters.

People's attraction to and appreciation of this film is, sadly, absolutely lost on me.

Scott

post #24 of 27 Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Count me in with the group that just doesn't understand the appeal of Anderson's films.

A weak, meandering plot, filled with quirky but non-relatable characters, dialog that consists of impossibly long and convoluted sentences, often spoken by lifeless actors (Norton, Law, Wilson), sprinkled with allusions to artists, authors, and poets, giving the work a sense of pretentiousness that seems to counterbalance much of the whimsy exhibited by the lavish sets, props, costume design, and other fantastical elements.

The uninteresting story didn't go anywhere, and we didn't learn much of anything significant about the characters.

People's attraction to and appreciation of this film is, sadly, absolutely lost on me.

Scott
It's a fantasy, a fiction and has no rules, people either love what he does or hate what he does. Similar to how people feel about Woody Allens' films.
gwsat likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #25 of 27 Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Woody Allen and Wes Anderson. Nice grouping. I've seen all of Anderson's movies and usually they are once and done. For some reason this one appealed to me the most, perhaps because visually it reminded me of something Terry Gilliam might do. For several years I have avoided Woody Allen movies like the plague although I broke down and watched Blue Jasmine for Cate Blanchett's performance.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #26 of 27 Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Woody Allen and Wes Anderson. Nice grouping. I've seen all of Anderson's movies and usually they are once and done. For some reason this one appealed to me the most, perhaps because visually it reminded me of something Terry Gilliam might do. For several years I have avoided Woody Allen movies like the plague although I broke down and watched Blue Jasmine for Cate Blanchett's performance.
Although I am an unabashed Wes Anderson fan, I would be the first to admit that his stuff is not for all tastes. Let's face it, Wes is a little weird.

I have always been a woody Allen fan too and have loved most of his films. Thus, I went into Blue Jasmine with high expectations, not only because it is a Woody Allen film but also because it stars the never less than wonderful Cate Blanchett. Alas, I was disappointed. Despite Blanchett's wonderful work, her character Jasmine was so manipulative and selfish, I couldn't gin up ten cents worth of sympathy for her. Overall, I thought the film was a mostly uninteresting downer, which was somewhat elevated by Blanchett's performance. 7 Stars out of 10.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Woody Allen and Terry Gilliam have been already mentioned; I would add Alan Rudolph, Charlie Kaufman, Spike Jones to the mix.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion