post #91 of 98 Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

oink also answered you - that's Orson Scott Card's story, read the novel wink.gif

But I STILL don't understand why he had to use kids!

biggrin.giftongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

But I STILL don't understand why he had to use kids!

biggrin.giftongue.gif

I watched the trailer when I saw Gravity. It did absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, for me. And then to put 10 year olds in charge? We’ve already seen how that works in Washington. wink.gif
post #93 of 98 Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 114
As to the kids thing, here's my answer (I p'med to kauaidoug):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The enemy they were fighting were Formics which were very much like alien ants. The race had a queen and the rest were workers who took orders from the queen at an instantaneous speed.
The space fleet needed young minds to adapt to this type of tactics and fighting. They were able to create, with Ender and his commanders, a team that used tactics very much like the Formics with some delay but the advantage that every member of the team could think individually. They used kids to develop this type of mindset and ability to work together, as a unit and yet individually.
In the book, the Formics had encountered humans in space first (transits) and then near earth. I don't believe that there was ever an attack by the Formics on the earth civilians as portrayed in the books. The idea was the Formics had never encountered any alien sentient species (which was the same for earthlings). The Formics were only used to themselves and the loss of individuals (not a queen) wasn't any big deal to the Formics.
The Formics tried to make contact through Ender but were unable to until it was too late and the battle occurred.
Hope this is of some help.
The book also has a lot of politics on earth while Ender is training with Ender's siblings, Peter and Valentine, using the interweb to influence politics as Peter reasoned that the threat which united mankind forged a shaky truce which would fall apart once the Formic war was over. None of this made the movie.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #94 of 98 Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

And then to put 10 year olds in charge? We’ve already seen how that works in Washington. wink.gif
LOL.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #95 of 98 Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

I've been in the TCL Chinese projection room, and there wasn't a film projector anywhere, only two digital Imax projectors and two Christie 4K digital projectors. Perhaps the 15/70 projector was in storage to be brought out for special occasions, but it was nowhere to be seen when I was there last week.

Although getting very close to being overdue, IMAX is supposed to be publicly demoing their new 2 channel/4K Laser system which is their strategic replacement for 15/70 in the large venues. Originally a Christie partnership with first delivery in 2013, it is now a Barco partnership with first public demonstrations in late 2013 (ie/ now) and first in-service deliveries in late 2014.

All that said to lead up to one special aspect of the TCL Chinese Theater --- it has been chosen as the showcase for IMAX and will likely be the first place to demo and the first place to have an in-service IMAX Laser projector.

IMAX already has their own ultra-high end Private Theater/Home Theater offering ($2.5m)
IMAX just recently entered a joint venture with TCL (aka The Creative Life) for a HT offering in the $250k range.
IMAX just announced a third initiative with Samsung (which TCL designs/manufactures) for 4K/2160p content.

The TCL/IMAX Chinese Theater is a special case. They can and will get whatever variations of IMAX technologies are the most recent - and the theater itself has set that as one of its purposes and goals - to showcase the best and emerging cinema technologies and environments.

All the large venues are just taking intermediate steps until the IMAX Laser product is out.
15/70 hybrid allows some large-screen product in the mean time but mostly is risk management - the Laser may be late, may not be up to 15/70 levels, may justify/require keeping both laser and 15/70 in the booth and so on.

I am anxious to see the promised demo - and possibly even an IMAX interview/review from a qualified source .... HINT - HINT !
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #96 of 98 Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Image_in_that View Post

Although getting very close to being overdue, IMAX is supposed to be publicly demoing their new 2 channel/4K Laser system which is their strategic replacement for 15/70 in the large venues. Originally a Christie partnership with first delivery in 2013, it is now a Barco partnership with first public demonstrations in late 2013 (ie/ now) and first in-service deliveries in late 2014.

All that said to lead up to one special aspect of the TCL Chinese Theater --- it has been chosen as the showcase for IMAX and will likely be the first place to demo and the first place to have an in-service IMAX Laser projector.

IMAX already has their own ultra-high end Private Theater/Home Theater offering ($2.5m)
IMAX just recently entered a joint venture with TCL (aka The Creative Life) for a HT offering in the $250k range.
IMAX just announced a third initiative with Samsung (which TCL designs/manufactures) for 4K/2160p content.

The TCL/IMAX Chinese Theater is a special case. They can and will get whatever variations of IMAX technologies are the most recent - and the theater itself has set that as one of its purposes and goals - to showcase the best and emerging cinema technologies and environments.

All the large venues are just taking intermediate steps until the IMAX Laser product is out.
15/70 hybrid allows some large-screen product in the mean time but mostly is risk management - the Laser may be late, may not be up to 15/70 levels, may justify/require keeping both laser and 15/70 in the booth and so on.

I am anxious to see the promised demo - and possibly even an IMAX interview/review from a qualified source .... HINT - HINT !

Sweet! Very interesting info.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #97 of 98 Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wonder why its not doing as well as it should?
post #98 of 98 Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Wonder why its not doing as well as it should?

Thor and his adopted brother got in the way wink.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page