Review: The Rocker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hopefully I didn't miss another existing thread, but didn't see one. Why doesn't this movie get any love? I think it's pretty hilarious. It's from the same company that did Super, which I loved and there was a lot of positive discussion about here earlier. It stars Rainn Wilson, also from Super, who is great for this type of material. It's not a groundbreaking movie or anything, but really enjoyable and a lot of laughs.

The story is basically of Rainn's character, Fish, who gets dumped from a band just at the point where it hits the big time and spends the next 20 years in denial and depression. Then he gets hooked into standing in for the drummer of his nephew's band to play the prom and it ignites his previous dreams of glory.

The supporting cast is quite well filled out and they all do a good job. Mostly it's a vehicle for Rainn's comedy chops, but everyone contributes nicely, particularly Josh Gad as Matt (his nephew.) And also Jason Sudeikis as their sleazy record company rep. It also includes Bradley Cooper, Christina Applegate, Emma Stone, and Jane Lynch. And of course Pete Best had to have a small role in this type of movie.

The original music written for the movie is quite good BTW and could have been on the radio in the 90s. It's written by Chad Fischer. Wilson, though not a drummer, does a good job of simulating it and he's always putting the sticks in the right places at the right times.

Anyway, it's not going to change your life but you should get plenty of good laughs from it if you are in the mood for something silly.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Hopefully I didn't miss another existing thread, but didn't see one. Why doesn't this movie get any love? I think it's pretty hilarious. It's from the same company that did Super, which I loved and there was a lot of positive discussion about here earlier. It stars Rainn Wilson, also from Super, who is great for this type of material. It's not a groundbreaking movie or anything, but really enjoyable and a lot of laughs.

The story is basically of Rainn's character, Fish, who gets dumped from a band just at the point where it hits the big time and spends the next 20 years in denial and depression. Then he gets hooked into standing in for the drummer of his nephew's band to play the prom and it ignites his previous dreams of glory.

The supporting cast is quite well filled out and they all do a good job. Mostly it's a vehicle for Rainn's comedy chops, but everyone contributes nicely, particularly Josh Gad as Matt (his nephew.) And also Jason Sudeikis as their sleazy record company rep. It also includes Bradley Cooper, Christina Applegate, Emma Stone, and Jane Lynch. And of course Pete Best had to have a small role in this type of movie.

The original music written for the movie is quite good BTW and could have been on the radio in the 90s. It's written by Chad Fischer. Wilson, though not a drummer, does a good job of simulating it and he's always putting the sticks in the right places at the right times.

Anyway, it's not going to change your life but you should get plenty of good laughs from it if you are in the mood for something silly.

I watched it once.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I wachted it too

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page