Theater sound ... not impressed.. better at home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Having just watched a few movies at the cinema since many years, I find the whole experience still not satisfying enough

Except for the big ass screen making you dizzy with all the detail to focus on, sound still doesnt impress (Atmos) with its loudness and doesnt make a crap movie better.
I find even my 7.1 setup with a 400$ sub(HSU) and ~$100ea LCR, cheaper surrounds, provides more punch(esp lows), enough atmosphere, and doesnt make me miss anything except a bigger screen...
and I dont think my local Atmos is messed up either (arent they super configured and such?) ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Now you just need to get yourself a projector and a big screen, like 120 inches or more, and you're all set.
Scott Simonian and bulls like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
nah, 80 inch LCD and more expensive speakers smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

Having just watched a few movies at the cinema since many years, I find the whole experience still not satisfying enough

Except for the big ass screen making you dizzy with all the detail to focus on, sound still doesnt impress (Atmos) with its loudness and doesnt make a crap movie better.
I find even my 7.1 setup with a 400$ sub(HSU) and ~$100ea LCR, cheaper surrounds, provides more punch(esp lows), enough atmosphere, and doesnt make me miss anything except a bigger screen...
and I dont think my local Atmos is messed up either (arent they super configured and such?) ...

All that matters in the end is how it sounds to YOU. You're lucky if your home theater sounds better than the local cineplex.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I still enjoy going to midnight showings though biggrin.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find the same issue, our local Cinema is very very old, owned by a large Movie Cinema chain that refuses to spend any money on the behind the scenes equipment, they announced a recent refurb of the cinema which was mainly paint, carpet and some new seats but when asked about equipment upgrades they said it was restricted to converting to a couple more cinemas to digital projection but nothing else.
Its nearly a decade behind the times now but they refuse to upgrade the equipment that needs it the most.
So they dont get a cent from me, the sound from my system at home is far superior, patiularly bass response.
And a number of Cinemas in Australia wonder why patronage is falling, maybe concentrate less on a flashy paint job and expensive carpet and put some more money towards the reason people go to the Cinema, Picture and Sound.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

nah, 80 inch LCD and more expensive speakers smile.gif

I agree with getting better speakers, but not the 80" flat panel. A nice 3d PJ and a High Power screen are cheaper, and you will have a larger, better picture. smile.gif
I'll admit, if you are limited to a white livingroom, the LCD may be a better choice.

* Full disclosure: I have a totally black dedicated room with an 8 foot high-gain screen.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page