Noah (2014) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
This was even less Biblical than I expected, but since the Bible narration is sparse on detail the screenwriter has to fill in and elaborate. In this case they have made a "message" fable of their own devising with only loose association with the original. It is earnest and well-intentioned, with meditations on violence and coping with it. Eco and vegan concerns to be extra relevant.

Best parts: that in the antediluvian world the stars were visible during the day, and people still had natural magic. The creation story with fast-speed evolutionary details is clever.

Still: once only for me. Would a more traditional version have worked better? Hard to say.

Worst moment: Tubal-cain's grand declamations just before he gets it were stupid Hollywood dialogue. Hard to believe Aronofsky allowed it.

Is it irreverent? It's hard to see how, given the story can't be more than slightly inspired by the original. Indiana Jones had Jewish, Hindu and Christian relics as magic death traps and everyone thought it just good fun.

Also note that the Bible doesn't exclusively "own" the story of the Flood. The same events, with different character names, occur in the Epic of Gilgamesh. That the early Genesis stories came out of Babylonia was well understood by the ancient Hebrews.

Genesis says that Abraham and his people ventured west from "Ur of the Chaldeans", which was on the Persian Gulf. They continued to send back to the old country for wives for a while.

So: alternative Noah stories don't seem like a problem to me.

-Bill
darthrsg likes this.

Last edited by wmcclain; 08-04-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
This was even less Biblical than I expected...

-Bill
You didn't mention the Rock People in your review. Not sure where the Bible weighed in on that. For some reason I was reminded of the Rock Man in Galaxy Quest and the Tree People in the Lord of the Ring movies.

If filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky could have made Noah's Ark I'm sure it would have turned out much like this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
You didn't mention the Rock People in your review. Not sure where the Bible weighed in on that. For some reason I was reminded of the Rock Man in Galaxy Quest and the Tree People in the Lord of the Ring movies.

If filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky could have made Noah's Ark I'm sure it would have turned out much like this.

They're explained as well as everything else in the movie. They fit right in with answering the questions posed by everybody such as "How did Noah handle all the people that wanted a ride?" Like he said it wasn't a biblical re-telling.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
They're explained as well as everything else in the movie. They fit right in with answering the questions posed by everybody such as "How did Noah handle all the people that wanted a ride?" Like he said it wasn't a biblical re-telling.
I was just funning with Bill. I'm sure he understands my dry humor.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I enjoyed the movie and I was a great idea to make a different approach to the great flood story. Kind of reminded me of Troy movie with Brad Pitt. Things similar to the events in the actual story do happen but not in exactly the same way.
But I think it was a bit shallow for a movie that deals with such a profound issue. It could have put more emphasis on the moral of the story with some implication on how our current civilization is destroying the planet right, now. You can't just take a story that is retelled by all major religions and make it into a superficial action movie.
Also, I wish there was a scene where we were given more detailed view abour the lifestyle of the city dwellers, why they are corrupt and how their cities die in the end. Noah could visit the king in his city perhaps to deliver him some message and tell him to join his cause, only to be rejected by the proud city people. That would make things much more interesting and give more legitimacy to Noah's abandoning of the city people.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Predicted I would never seen this one, but was wrong. Got talked into it. Not as bad as I was expecting. No plans on watching it again, though. Entertaining enough for one viewing, but no more. Perhaps if someone in it was firing an automatic weapon while yelling I'd want to see it again.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 28
SPOILER

If the movie had allowed Noah to kill babies - now that would have really been something. It almost would have made up for what came before.

But we all knew that could never happen. Did anyone who watched this do anything but chuckle during those climactic scenes? Did anyone doubt that Noah would eventually draw his weapon and have it raised above his head only to have a change of heart for some reason or other? If you did you're quite a bit less cynical than I am, and I envy you.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
SPOILER

If the movie had allowed Noah to kill babies - now that would have really been something. It almost would have made up for what came before.

But we all knew that could never happen. Did anyone who watched this do anything but chuckle during those climactic scenes? Did anyone doubt that Noah would eventually draw his weapon and have it raised above his head only to have a change of heart for some reason or other? If you did you're quite a bit less cynical than I am, and I envy you.
Yeah, it was no Robocop '14.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.