Her - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,861
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73


If there is no Scarlett Johansson, then there is no movie. Pre-screened at AFI Hollywood at the Egyptian theater on 11/13 to a completely filled theater of over 600 seats.
fookoo_2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Interesting...has some potential.smile.gif

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,861
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Interesting...has some potential.smile.gif

I am more than certain that you wouldn't mind having Scarlett Johansson as the voice of your personal, customized OS. This movie is about AI which doesn't exist now and yet it isn't overly futuristic, unlike Blade Runner. It was shot in both Los Angeles and Shanghai. But, given, that it is a romantic comedy movie of sorts, as such, it isn't likely to draw a large box office. For more, you will have to see the movie yourself and it could easily bore a lot of viewers.
fookoo_2010 is offline  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Saw Her today and ended up liking it. More about that later. To put it gently, I am not Joaquin Phoenix's most ardent fan. The guy is so quintessentially weird that even his massive talent as an actor is not enough to prevent me from feeling a bit unsettled whenever he is on the screen, which was all the time in Her. At the end of the day, though, I thought I understood Spike Jonze's decision to cast Phoenix and agreed with it. Phoenix, it turns out, is perfect as Theodore Twombly. Twombly is a guy who falls in love with an operating system, which is pretty weird in itself. Nevertheless Jonze made it work and gave us a film that was warm and kind of uplifting in Jonze's one card short of a full deck way. In Twombly's defense, I might have fallen in love with his OS too if she had talked like the sultry-voiced Scarlett Johansson. smile.gif

Her is Jonze's meditation on the lack of human interaction that our modern cyber age seems to encourage but does it in a way that is smart and effective. Highly recommended, even if Joaquin Phoenix makes you as uncomfortable as he does me. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10.
gwsat is offline  
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Will wait for the BD.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Will wait for the BD.
Will probably never watch it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Will2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Saw Her today and ended up liking it. More about that later. To put it gently, I am not Joaquin Phoenix's most ardent fan. The guy is so quintessentially weird that even his massive talent as an actor is not enough to prevent me from feeling a bit unsettled whenever he is on the screen, which was all the time in Her. At the end of the day, though, I thought I understood Spike Jonze's decision to cast Phoenix and agreed with it. Phoenix, it turns out, is perfect as Theodore Twombly. Twombly is a guy who falls in love with an operating system, which is pretty weird in itself. Nevertheless Jonze made it work and gave us a film that was warm and kind of uplifting in Jonze's one card short of a full deck way. In Twombly's defense, I might have fallen in love with his OS too if she had talked like the sultry-voiced Scarlett Johansson. smile.gif

Her is Jonze's meditation on the lack of human interaction that our modern cyber age seems to encourage but does it in a way that is smart and effective. Highly recommended, even if Joaquin Phoenix makes you as uncomfortable as he does me. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10.

Thanks for your take. I haven't see it yet, but want to. Phoenix is not one of my favorite actors either, but Spike Jonze is wonderfully weird and I love his incredibly offbeat works. I want to see it because I like his aesthetic and sense of humor/pathos.
Will2007 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
For some reason, the trailers remind me of this:



Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,861
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For some reason, the trailers remind me of this:



Not even close.
fookoo_2010 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 4,293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For some reason, the trailers remind me of this:


For some reason, your trailer reminds me of this:


Tack is online now  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

For some reason, your trailer reminds me of this:


Yeah, it does remind me of Max too.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 4,293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yeah, it does remind me of Max too.

I have a cool MDF backed movie poster of MH. Everybody said my oldest boy looked just like him. Not a great movie, but definitely foreshadowing, as was Simone. Somewhat chilling.
I imagine in twenty years, "her" may sadly have the same effect.
Tack is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 20,263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Will wait for the BD.
Will probably never watch it.
Ditto. Unless the trailer was the beginning of the movie and later "she" convinces him to go out and start killing people for her. smile.gif

larry

Serenity now!
PooperScooper is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
subavision212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
subavision212 is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 28,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Good stuff.biggrin.gif

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off