Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Paul Walker secretly bought Iraq war veteran $9,000 engagement ring

A military couple whose engagement ring was secretly bought by actor Paul Walker came forward today after finally having their suspicions confirmed that the star was behind the act of amazing generosity.

Soldier Kyle Upham and his new wife Kristen were in a Santa Barbara jewellery store in 2004 looking for a diamond ring shortly before he was sent on his second deployment back to Iraq.

The couple quickly realized that the other shopper in the store was Fast And The Furious star Walker and struck up a conversation. Kyle revealed to the actor that he had just come back from a tour of duty in Iraq.

Kristen Upham told CBS today: 'When he found out Kyle just came back from Iraq - I remember seeing the look in his face. He kind of transformed.'

The couple, from Victorville, ultimately left the store without a ring - after they decided they could not afford the $9,000 diamond band that Mrs Upham had set her heart on.

A short time later, a sales assistant called the couple and told them to return to the store - where they were presented with the ring.

Walker had sought out the manager of the store and told him to put the ring 'on his tab'.

When the astounded couple asked who bought it for them, the clerks refused to say - at Walker's request.

The Uphams kept the gift receipt and often suspected it had been the star but could never be certain.

The store, which has since closed its Santa Barbara outlet, kept Walker's secret but after the 40-year-old's tragic death in a car crash on Saturday, employee Irene King felt the world should know the actor's true character.

Mrs Upham said Walker's gesture remains the kindness thing anyone had ever done for her.

She added: 'His real life speaks volumes of his character. He really did put his money where his mouth is and did good for this world.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Truly a class act....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #63 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Paul Walker and his charity flew under radar to clear debris in Tuscaloosa after 2011 tornadoes

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/12/paul_walker_and_the_charity_he.html
Quote:
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- The city of Tuscaloosa doesn't have a record of Paul Walker or the charity he founded ever coming to the aid of the victims of the twisters that tore through the city on April 27, 2011.

Countless people were quick to send money, food, clothes and more into Tuscaloosa in the spring of 2011 after the EF4 tornado killed more than 50 people and left total devastation in its wake. Thousands dropped what they were doing and came from all over the country to work with chainsaws and shovels and truck beds to help total strangers in their time of need.

Some of those offering help got a lot of attention for being there. President Barack Obama flew into the city, and cameras followed actor Charlie Sheen around the city when he dropped in to survey the destruction and swore to do what he could to help.

The city has no record of Paul Walker's presence here, though, and a friend said Monday that's just the way that the 40-year-old movie star who was killed in a car accident Saturday would have wanted it.

JD Dorfman told the Burbank Leader that when Walker was on the scene in Tuscaloosa and in other cities affected by natural disasters, he flew under the radar. Dorfman is the Operations Manager for Reach Out Worldwide, the nonprofit that Walker founded and geared toward disaster relief efforts.

“He didn’t want anyone to know he was there. All he wanted was a chainsaw, and point him in the right direction – he wanted to go to work,” Dorfman told the Burbank Leader. "Paul’s fingers were as dirty as yours were.”
Walker and a team from ROWW spent time in Tuscaloosa working with chainsaws, trying to clear the way for people to safely reenter whatever was left of their homes.

According to an account of the trip on the charity's website written by a volunteer named John Cloughen, a two-man recon team for the nonprofit arrived in Tuscaloosa on April 30 in the immediate aftermath of the storm. Cloughen said they worked with people in the city and from the University of Alabama to assess what was most needed in the city, then Walker and Lucas Wimer, the operations manager of ROWW at the time, spent $15,000 on the tools and equipment the recon team said would be needed, then everyone got to work.
Cloughen said the team was "able to bypass some of [the city's] formalities and get out on the road with an assignment" thanks to Wimer and Riz Shakir, the professor helping them on the ground. That might explain why the recovery department at city hall doesn't have an official record of Walker or the nonprofit operating in the city.

ROWW volunteers worked in Tuscaloosa for days, Cloughen said. With the help of locals and other volunteers, all complete strangers, the team was able to work where they were needed most and get those affected by the storm out of shelters and back into their homes.

"We cut hundreds of trees, moved tons of debris, demolished a house and cleared mobile home pads of rubble so that they could move new trailers in for shelter," Cloughen said. "We worked hard, side by side with residents and students and volunteers from other cities and states."

The Tuscaloosa operation was ROWW's first relief effort in the United States, and it prepared them for future work in Oklahoma, Illinois, the Phillipines and all around the world where natural disasters have devastated an area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #64 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Paul Walker and his charity flew under radar to clear debris in Tuscaloosa after 2011 tornadoes

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/12/paul_walker_and_the_charity_he.html
The more I read about him the more I realize we lost one of the good ones....frown.gif

post #65 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The more I read about him the more I realize we lost one of the good ones....frown.gif

Yup. Though I knew that when I first saw the news.

First thing I said was, "damn he was cool guy." Definitely underrated and had a bright full future acting ahead of him.

I hate it when we lose good people. frown.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #66 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Truly a class act....

Definitely

Frank

post #67 of 99 Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yup. Though I knew that when I first saw the news.

First thing I said was, "damn he was cool guy." Definitely underrated and had a bright full future acting ahead of him.

I hate it when we lose good people. frown.gif

It's a damn shame

Frank

post #68 of 99 Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Its sad I liked his movies alot, he always seemed to play the quite leader. Even outside of the Fast series I liked Takers alot, seemed like a humble guy blessed for the acting life not I'm the man attitude you see alot RIP.
post #69 of 99 Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Confirms my earlier suspicions:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/01/03/paul-walker-coroner-report/4306673/

post #70 of 99 Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I think everyone who has any experience driving near the edge knew what LIKELY happened. It didn't ping with me that he or his buddy would be under the influence of anything...not their style. But what doesn't make it any easier to swallow is the detailed injuries he sustained, and that he likely died due to fire consumption. My only hope is the massive internal injuries he suffered, especially the mandibular fracture, rendered him unconscious upon impact so he had no awareness of the living hell he was trapped in. An absolutely horrendous way to die that I wouldn't wish on anyone...let alone someone as genuine and well meaning as Paul Walker.

Very sad.

In a related car-guy note...Schumacher doesn't seem to be fairing well after his ski accident either. Been a rough month for our performance driving brethren.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #71 of 99 Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

I think everyone who has any experience driving near the edge knew what LIKELY happened. It didn't ping with me that he or his buddy would be under the influence of anything...not their style. But what doesn't make it any easier to swallow is the detailed injuries he sustained, and that he likely died due to fire consumption. My only hope is the massive internal injuries he suffered, especially the mandibular fracture, rendered him unconscious upon impact so he had no awareness of the living hell he was trapped in. An absolutely horrendous way to die that I wouldn't wish on anyone...let alone someone as genuine and well meaning as Paul Walker.

Very sad.
Agreed, he was a quality guy and didn't deserve such a fate.

HOWEVER, reading the latest headlines on the coroner report reinforces my interpretation of WHAT happened.

Taking a 90 degree turn at 100 mph in a street car is really asking too much.
Simple, and very ordinary, stupidity seems to be culprit here....

post #72 of 99 Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Very sad.

In a related car-guy note...Schumacher doesn't seem to be fairing well after his ski accident either. Been a rough month for our performance driving brethren.

Well said. I keep checking every day on updates on Schumacher.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #73 of 99 Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For those interested, here is the .pdf of PW's autopsy report:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/tsg/release/sites/default/files/assets/paulwalker.pdf

post #74 of 99 Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

For those interested, here is the .pdf of PW's autopsy report:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/tsg/release/sites/default/files/assets/paulwalker.pdf

Thank you

Frank

post #75 of 99 Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just posted in the L.A. Times:

The high-performance Porsche that "Fast & Furious" actor Paul Walker was riding in was traveling up to 93 mph when it crashed and burst into flames, killing him and the driver, an L.A. County Sheriff's investigation found.
The rate of speed was determined using surveillance videos and electronic data retrieved from the car’s computers with the help of the carmaker. That would mean that the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, driven by Walker's friend, Roger Rodas, was traveling about twice the 45 mph limit when it crashed Nov. 30 on a curvy road in a Santa Clarita business park.
[Updated at 2:55 p.m. PDT March 25: “Investigators determined the cause of the fatal solo-vehicle collision was unsafe speed for the roadway conditions,” said Cmdr. Mike Parker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.]
Investigators also determined that a pair of 9-year-old tires contributed to the crash, not a mechanical failure. There was no evidence of any car system failures, such as the brakes, according to the report.
Rodas was a veteran race car driver, but the speed into a tight curve proved too much, investigators with the sheriff's department and California Highway Patrol found.
An earlier L.A. County coroner’s report had pegged the speed as being more than 100 mph, but the traffic analysis in the recent report determined it was a bit slower.
Walker and Rodas were killed almost instantly, succumbing to multiple traumatic injuries and a fire that quickly consumed the car.
Walker died of "severe blunt head, neck and chest trauma," sustaining a broken arm, wrist, jaw and ribs, according to the coroner's report. The fire burned his body beyond recognition.
Rodas suffered similar injuries and a fractured skull.
Investigators spent months examining the videos, interviewing potential witnesses and working with experts from Porsche in Germany and tire manufacturer Michelin to determine the cause of the deadly crash.
After reviewing numerous security videos from cameras around the business park, investigators found no evidence that the pair was racing against any other vehicle, according to the report. The four-lane road is part of a business park loop in Rye Canyon near a car company that was owned by Rodas and Walker.
Skid marks and video revealed that the car spun out of control and hit the sidewalk, sending it smashing into a tree and a light post with tremendous force.
Rodas' and Walker's bodies were found braced for impact in a "pugilistic" stance, the report said.
Since the 2001 debut of “The Fast and the Furious,” Walker had become the face of the Southern California car culture. While the movie became a billion-dollar movie franchise, Walker kept his street credibility by driving a Nissan Skyline GT-R, appearing at real tuner events and investing in a super-car business.
The 2005 Porsche Carrera GT has a history of being difficult to control. The sports car is capable of reaching 100 mph in less than seven seconds. But it was built without the stability management system with which most Porsche models are equipped. The data the carmaker helped to retrieve allowed investigators to determine RPMs and throttle and airbag deployment at the time of the crash.

post #76 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More info:

Quote:
The conclusion about the speed was based on a "yaw" mark that one of the car's tires left on the road
90 mph around a 90 degree turn....priceless.

Quote:
Its left front and right rear tires were about nine years old; the owner's manual suggests changing the tires after four years. As a result of the age, "the drivability and handling characteristics ... may have been compromised," the report said.
Never forget to have good tires before trying to f_ck around.

Quote:
An unidentified witness said she saw the Porsche "'jiggling' back and forth in (its) lane like the driver was jiggling the steering" just before the crash, according to the report.
Obviously trying to put heat in the tires.
In other words, the driver knew the situation with the tires was not optimal.

Quote:
Investigators found evidence suggesting both wore seat belts and air bags deployed for both the driver and passenger, the sheriff's department said.
Even this won't help you if you overload your a$$hole in a car.wink.gif

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Investigators-Unsafe-speed-caused-Walker-crash-5348328.php

post #77 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

More info:
90 mph around a 90 degree turn....priceless.

Sadly that reminds me of what the media tried to do soon after the accident: the carrera GT is an evil mid-engined car impossible to drive porsche should be sued etc... rolleyes.gif ...Granted these cars are certainly not for everyone, but it simply proves that the driver, however experienced, made a fatal mistake.
post #78 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
So, I have to wonder (but not really)...would all this time, effort, money, resources, etc. be put into this had this been just some wealthy idiot with a Porsche who was driving like a dumbass?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #79 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Sadly that reminds me of what the media tried to do soon after the accident: the carrera GT is an evil mid-engined car impossible to drive porsche should be sued etc... rolleyes.gif ...Granted these cars are certainly not for everyone, but it simply proves that the driver, however experienced, made a fatal mistake.
Exactly.
The car is a safe vehicle like any other.

The problem comes in when your speed exceeds your abilities, as it would for anyone trying to take a 90 degree corner at 90 mph.
Even at a track in a full-blown racecar it's probably too much; I'm not sure even an F1 car has that capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

So, I have to wonder (but not really)...would all this time, effort, money, resources, etc. be put into this had this been just some wealthy idiot with a Porsche who was driving like a dumbass?
You KNOW the answer to that.wink.gif

post #80 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Bass Enabler

Tron megacycles are the obvious answer.
Tack likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #81 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Tron megacycles are the obvious answer.
Well done, sir.cool.gif

post #82 of 99 Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

More info:
Never forget to have good tires before trying to f_ck around.

Weird that a professional driver would take a spin in a supercar with that old tires, doing those kind of maneuvers anyway.
I don't even wait 9 years to change tires in my own car, which is not even close to a Carrera GT.
Scott Simonian likes this.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #83 of 99 Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Weird that a professional driver would take a spin in a supercar with that old tires, doing those kind of maneuvers anyway.
I don't even wait 9 years to change tires in my own car, which is not even close to a Carrera GT.

Likely didn't matter. Brand new tires wouldn't have kept the wheels from losing grip going 90 mph around an unbanked 90 degree turn.
post #84 of 99 Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Likely didn't matter. Brand new tires wouldn't have kept the wheels from losing grip going 90 mph around an unbanked 90 degree turn.
Agreed.

I have no idea WTF the guy thought he was doing.rolleyes.gif

post #85 of 99 Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
All of us car-guys on here know that every performance car has its own personality, especially one at the 'super car' level. They all have a unique rhythm that take time to get a grip on and get in synch with. Unfortunately, the more time you take off from that particular car the 'feel' and the rhythm disipate rapidly.

I am sure Rodas, who had experience with the GT, didn't think for a second he couldn't handle the car...which obviously resulted in this tragic crash. In my work, we don't refer to crashes as "accidents" because there is always a negligent party. Someone going too fast or not respecting the topography of a particular section of road aren't accidents. Tragic decisions yes, but nonetheless, this still falls into one person's lap of responsibility.

Deep down I was hoping for a mechanical failure of some sort with this crash. For some reason in my mind it is always a little easier to swallow when a part has broken that otherwise should have been functional. It is just that much harder to swallow knowing it was equal parts showmanship, arrogance, and bravado that caused this to happen. I feel especially for Paul Walker as the passenger considering he probably got into that car, and even entered that corner, having the utmost confidence in his friend who was behind the wheel. I have been in that position myself many times, fully trusting the person driving with me is making the competent decision behind the wheel. I just hope, as I said earlier, that both of these men were unconscious before they had time to realize what living hell they were about to be engulfed in.

Oh...and the CGI thing being discussed in the other thread is kinda weird but I get needing to complete the work. I'm hoping for a ride off into the sunset for the character myself.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #86 of 99 Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All of us car-guys on here know that every performance car has its own personality, especially one at the 'super car' level. They all have a unique rhythm that take time to get a grip on and get in synch with. Unfortunately, the more time you take off from that particular car the 'feel' and the rhythm disipate rapidly.

I am sure Rodas, who had experience with the GT, didn't think for a second he couldn't handle the car...which obviously resulted in this tragic crash. In my work, we don't refer to crashes as "accidents" because there is always a negligent party. Someone going too fast or not respecting the topography of a particular section of road aren't accidents. Tragic decisions yes, but nonetheless, this still falls into one person's lap of responsibility.
+1

Quote:
It is just that much harder to swallow knowing it was equal parts showmanship, arrogance, and bravado that caused this to happen. I feel especially for Paul Walker as the passenger considering he probably got into that car, and even entered that corner, having the utmost confidence in his friend who was behind the wheel. I have been in that position myself many times, fully trusting the person driving with me is making the competent decision behind the wheel. I just hope, as I said earlier, that both of these men were unconscious before they had time to realize what living hell they were about to be engulfed in.
Considering their injuries, it's possible they were not conscious.
IIRC, the autopsy said Rodas died "instantly" and PW died shortly thereafter.

However, they apparently saw it coming, as both were found in a "pugilistic stance," meaning they were bracing for impact.
Considering that the seatbelts and airbags both worked properly, it's incredible how banged up they were....the force must have been off the charts.eek.gif

post #87 of 99 Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Agreed, I just wonder if it was really 90 degrees?
E.g. going for the apex etc.

Not sure how the streets look and it's just speculation.
But I bet that old tires didn't help under the circumstances.

But I don't disagree if it was really a 90 degree turn he was trying to make in 90mph.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #88 of 99 Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Agreed, I just wonder if it was really 90 degrees?
E.g. going for the apex etc.

Not sure how the streets look and it's just speculation.
But I bet that old tires didn't help under the circumstances.

But I don't disagree if it was really a 90 degree turn he was trying to make in 90mph.
I saw a satellite shot of the street right after it happened....I'll try to find it again and will post it if I do.

post #89 of 99 Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found this:

I stand corrected....it's more of a right-hand sweeper than a true 90 degree turn.

Definitely not enough time transpired to completely warm-up the tires.

post #90 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is sad, and a commentary on America in this year of our Lord 2014:

The Porsche Paul Walker and Roger Rodas died in was basically death on wheels ... and faulty mechanics caused the tragic crash ... at least that's what Rodas' widow is claiming in a new lawsuit filed against Porsche.

Kristine Rodas filed the lawsuit today ... claiming the Porsche Carrera GT Paul and Roger were driving had a faulty part in the suspension which caused the car to careen out of control. In the papers, she claims Roger tried to keep the car on the road, but could not regain control before hitting a light pole.

In the docs, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court ... Kristine also blames Porsche for the car exploding on impact -- claiming the vehicle lacked a proper "crash cage" and a "racing fuel cell."

According to the docs, the "fuel cell" is common in race cars ... and prevents the fuel from igniting if there's an impact.

Kristine quotes Porsche ... "Carrera GT is as close to a racecar as we will ever get."

She also alleges Porsche ignored multiple fatal crashes that had occurred in the Carrera GT ... and never took steps to warn customers.

Here's the problem ... Kristine never acknowledges Roger was speeding in the car -- in fact, she claims he was only doing 55 mph. Back in March the CHP released its investigation results ... which put the car at somewhere between 80 and 93 MPH.

Kristine's hired Hollywood heavyweight attorney Mark Geragos to take on Porsche. She's suing for negligence, wrongful death and product liability.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/12/paul-walker-roger-rodas-widow-sues-porsche/#ixzz31bYySxIE

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page