R.I.P. Paul Walker - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
As a long time 911/Porsche fan.... she does have some good points.

I still don't like this topic. Makes me sad. frown.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

she does have some good points.

Not really. The only point she 'may' have is if the faulty suspension part was an OEM part and it can be proved (unlikely) that it failed NOT because of age. Roll cage? In a passenger road car? Fuel cell? Sure, it would be great if EVERY vehicle had a fuel cell to eliminate the possibility of a fire in an accident. Porsche, and other car makers, don't encourage drivers of their vehicles to SPEED and drive irresponsibly like Rodas did. That's one reason why passenger vehicles don't have cages or fuel cells.
Also, if that Carrera GT had ANY aftermarket modifications (highly likely), it probably would (and should) absolve Porsche of any negligence regardless of whether it was exhaust, suspension, intake, ECU chip, etc. And regarding other fatal crashes in similar cars, how does she know that alcohol, excessive speed or careless/reckless driving wasn't involved in some/many/all of those? She doesn't. She claims Rodas was driving 55 mph. How DOES she know this? And even if he was (he was going waaaay faster), he still would have been considered going faster than the posted speed limit at the crash site. So, there's that!
But as Oink pointed out in the header of his post 'commentary on America'....in this litigious world, Porsche may well 'settle' out of court to avoid bad publicity, especially since it deals with a marginal 'celebrity'. That is, if the case doesn't get thrown out first, which it should hopefully. She should simply be thankful only two people were killed. Otherwise, she may well by facing lawsuit(s) against her and her husband's estate. Heck, who knows, Paul Walker's family could still file suit against her/Rodas' estate. Her and Geragos are banking for an 'Out-of-Court' on this one... rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Fair enough.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #94 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ughhh...

I totally understand the grieving process and the Rodas' family need to ascribe blame somewhere. Unfortunately, baring some sudden acknowledgement by Porsche they were negligent, that blame falls on Rodas himself.

Had this accident happened on a track, even during a high performance driving day (i.e. non-race event), then MAYBE I could support a law suit like this depending on the mechanical condition of a factory part. Tracks are built and maintained to drive vehicles like this at incredible levels. There are also safety personnel and protocols present to respond to an accident such as this (even though this appears to have been an instantaneous fatal crash). Surface streets are not. Pot holes, improper drainage, poor grade patterns, curbs, light poles, etc., are all present and not in the spectrum of responsibility for Porsche when selling a car like this. ALL of their documentation in all of their vehicles explicitly states to abide by all local and state driving laws and regulations.

Whether they were doing 95, 55, or 35mph, if the street they were on had a posted speed of 30 (for example), any speed above that is outside the scope to which the civil engineers designed that stretch of road to handle. People get lost in the concept that surface streets are not built to sustain driving in these types of manners. If a corner is posted at 20mph it is for a reason; design and surface material can only provide that level of controllable traction safely. Anything in excess can result in loss of control. Physics is physics.

All that said, it doesn't change how much this whole situation sucks. I am glad his brothers are helping finish out the "Fast 7" movie, even if it is a little weird maybe, but for their family I think that is a great thing. I certainly hope the Rodas family finds some support to help them gain some semblance of light in this dark time for them as well.
Morpheo likes this.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #95 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Her and Geragos are banking for an 'Out-of-Court' on this one... rolleyes.gif
That is EXACTLY what this is about.
I hope Porsche doesn't opt for the "out of court settlement" and fights this B.S. out of principle alone.

The investigation by law enforcement proved there was nothing wrong with the car at the time of the crash.

The bottom line here is Rodas overloaded his a$$hole behind the wheel of a Porsche GT and killed himself and PW.
That's all there is to it.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #96 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I hope Porsche doesn't opt for the "out of court settlement" and fights this B.S. out of principle alone.

Me too. Please stand up to these charlatans.
post #97 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

That's all there is to it.

Yup. That's why this one is just so sad to hear about. frown.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #98 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

Had this accident happened on a track, even during a high performance driving day (i.e. non-race event), then MAYBE I could support a law suit like this depending on the mechanical condition of a factory part. Tracks are built and maintained to drive vehicles like this at incredible levels. There are also safety personnel and protocols present to respond to an accident such as this (even though this appears to have been an instantaneous fatal crash). Surface streets are not. Pot holes, improper drainage, poor grade patterns, curbs, light poles, etc., are all present and not in the spectrum of responsibility for Porsche when selling a car like this. ALL of their documentation in all of their vehicles explicitly states to abide by all local and state driving laws and regulations.

Whether they were doing 95, 55, or 35mph, if the street they were on had a posted speed of 30 (for example), any speed above that is outside the scope to which the civil engineers designed that stretch of road to handle. People get lost in the concept that surface streets are not built to sustain driving in these types of manners. If a corner is posted at 20mph it is for a reason; design and surface material can only provide that level of controllable traction safely. Anything in excess can result in loss of control. Physics is physics.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yup. That's why this one is just so sad to hear about. frown.gif
It was so preventable.
They would be alive today if Rodas had slowed down going around that corner....he chose not to.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 99 Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Well said.
It was so preventable.
They would be alive today if Rodas had slowed down going around that corner....he chose not to.

Agree!

Frank

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page