Disney's Frozen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
I had the opportunity to see this yesterday and make it my two year old's first theater movie. The animation and art style are top notch and the pacing is good. This is definitely a return to more classic Disney movies like The Lion King. I can say I'm not a huge fan of that style but was impressed by Tangled enough to give it a go. Sadly we didn't make it to the end and are thankful the 7 foot tall guy in front us took that popcorn up side his head like a gentleman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I had the opportunity to see this yesterday and make it my two year old's first theater movie. The animation and art style are top notch and the pacing is good. This is definitely a return to more classic Disney movies like The Lion King. I can say I'm not a huge fan of that style but was impressed by Tangled enough to give it a go. Sadly we didn't make it to the end and are thankful the 7 foot tall guy in front us took that popcorn up side his head like a gentleman.
Took my 3 and 5 year old to see this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of the musical Disney films and really enjoyed Tangled as well. Tangled had a bit more charm than this but still a fantastic story with brilliant music and animation. It's great to see Disney back in the zone with heart warming stories and great music in animated films. My kids loved it and were very still for the entire movie except one kinda scary part. The music made a big difference for my little ones, I could just see the fascination in their faces. This is the first movie they have sat through, Monsters University, Despicable Me2, and one other I can't recall just did not hold their interest enough to keep them in their seats. Frozen does have a bit more music than Tangled but most of it is in the first 2 acts. It's a very entertaining film, well written, acted, and good music to boot, it should be a solid pick for good family entertainment this month.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
My 8 year old wants to see this but did not have time this weekend. She liked Tangled and sure this would be a slam dunk. Actually, many of the Disney titles the last five years or so have been well received. Bolt, Robinsons, Princess and the Frog...

Her first commercial theater movie was Madagascar 2 and was a bit dicey but made it all the way through, mostly because it was so LOUD. The theater we frequent is not the most busy and we have always been able to get the row of seats before the wheel chair aisle and nice to not have anyone in front of you. Has worked out really well over the years except for when we saw Brave and a small group of seniors took the wheelchair row. Fortunately, not right in front of us so vision was fine. But close enough to the side where we could still hear all their noises and was really distracting for my daughters. Lots of weird noises playing with their false teeth. One lady kept popping it in and out and another made a startlingly loud grinding noise- just a bunch of assorted noises. We tried to use it as a teaching moment for acceptance and tolerance...smile.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It seems Dizney 's learned a thing or two from Pixar. Tangled and Wreck it Ralph are really well done. I even liked their Chicken Little even though it wasn't a big hit.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

It seems Dizney 's learned a thing or two from Pixar. Tangled and Wreck it Ralph are really well done. I even liked their Chicken Little even though it wasn't a big hit.

Yep. Tangled has just enough singing for me and they really amped it up in Frozen. I've said elsewhere that Ralph felt like a Pixar movie.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Disney seems to go up and down, one decade the magic is there and the next it is not. They have been pretty solid since Princess and the Frog IMO while I think Pixar has been somewhat lackluster with Cars 2 and Brave, although I have yet to see Monsters University but I know my kids had trouble sitting though it for whatever that is worth.

My Rig

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Disney seems to go up and down, one decade the magic is there and the next it is not. They have been pretty solid since Princess and the Frog IMO while I think Pixar has been somewhat lackluster with Cars 2 and Brave, although I have yet to see Monsters University but I know my kids had trouble sitting though it for whatever that is worth.

I think they all go up and down. Pixar is in a low right if you ask me. Brave was awesomely animated but just meh everywhere else. Monsters U is decent but very different than Monsters Inc. I think Despicable Me is my fave of recent memory.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they all go up and down. Pixar is in a low right if you ask me. Brave was awesomely animated but just meh everywhere else. Monsters U is decent but very different than Monsters Inc. I think Despicable Me is my fave of recent memory.
Wasn't that Dreamworks?

Brave was pretty weak IMO and as far sequel ideas go the Cars 2 story and prequel/college years concept for MU just seem weak when thinking of the awesome potential an Incredibles sequel could have had. All that said we the movie lovers are the winners when Disney and Pixar are competing for feel good animated movies. As much as I love many of the Pixar films my passion for music drives me to the Disney movies when thinking of favorite animated films.

My Rig

Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't that Dreamworks?

Brave was pretty weak IMO and as far sequel ideas go the Cars 2 story and prequel/college years concept for MU just seem weak when thinking of the awesome potential an Incredibles sequel could have had. All that said we the movie lovers are the winners when Disney and Pixar are competing for feel good animated movies. As much as I love many of the Pixar films my passion for music drives me to the Disney movies when thinking of favorite animated films.

Yeah Dreamworks did DM but I lump them all together. There's another one which plays out like a 50 B scifi movie and the name escapes me. Had giant woman and everything. Monsters vs Aliens. It was pretty good but I can see my kid not getting it. She did like The Croods or at least watched most of it. It's a looker for sure.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm guessing the recent "Disney" releases were already in progress or at least green-lit at the merger w Pixar. Otherwise, it makes no sense as they're 1 unit now.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm guessing the recent "Disney" releases were already in progress or at least green-lit at the merger w Pixar. Otherwise, it makes no sense as they're 1 unit now.

I think there's truth here. Like EA did with Bioware. Got the talent dilute it.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yeah Dreamworks did DM but I lump them all together. There's another one which plays out like a 50 B scifi movie and the name escapes me. Had giant woman and everything. Monsters vs Aliens. It was pretty good but I can see my kid not getting it. She did like The Croods or at least watched most of it. It's a looker for sure.

Despicable Me was neither Pixar nor Dreamworks. It was produced by Illumination Entertainment, which also did The Lorax.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The Lion King is an amazing work (we love it) but I honestly prefer a less musical approach (although with animation it gets a pass, unlike 99% of live action musicals).

Frozen looks good but if the music is corny I'll lose interest real quick, hopefully the music is solid and at least somewhat contemporary.

Jason
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monsters vs Aliens is one of my families' favorites. Funny stuff for the adults, and my youngest, who was four when we first saw it theatrically, loves it any time a a female hero kicks butt. She would LOVE Kick A$$ but may have to wait a bit on that one. LOL.

We did Frozen over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It is extremely cold here right now and weird to go see a FROZEN entitled movie when it is FROZEN outside.
16 degrees for the drive home from the theater. tongue.gifeek.gif

The movie was better than I expected. The first half hour is a bit heavier than the trailers imply and I kept checking out my eight year old but she was eating it up. Olaf, the little snowman was written better than your usual zany side kick. The whole time I thought he was voiced by Jonah Hill and I kept saying to myself that he was doing a good job with this role and not as overdone as normal. LOL. All in all a very good time and will definately have this on blu.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Monsters vs Aliens is one of my families' favorites. Funny stuff for the adults, and my youngest, who was four when we first saw it theatrically, loves it any time a a female hero kicks butt. She would LOVE Kick A$$ but may have to wait a bit on that one. LOL.

We did Frozen over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It is extremely cold here right now and weird to go see a FROZEN entitled movie when it is FROZEN outside.
16 degrees for the drive home from the theater. tongue.gifeek.gif

The movie was better than I expected. The first half hour is a bit heavier than the trailers imply and I kept checking out my eight year old but she was eating it up. Olaf, the little snowman was written better than your usual zany side kick. The whole time I thought he was voiced by Jonah Hill and I kept saying to myself that he was doing a good job with this role and not as overdone as normal. LOL. All in all a very good time and will definately have this on blu.

We'll be buying as well to see the end.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Elsa's "Let it Go" song is on the tube for anyone interested. Not sure if anyone else has kids that are begging for these toys for Christmas but it's almost all my daughter wants. I was able to score the last singing Elsa doll at the Disney Store and the ice castle from target so I should be good... although I'm tempted to put it on ebay given the demand eek.gif

My Rig

Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Elsa's "Let it Go" song is on the tube for anyone interested. Not sure if anyone else has kids that are begging for these toys for Christmas but it's almost all my daughter wants. I was able to score the last singing Elsa doll at the Disney Store and the ice castle from target so I should be good... although I'm tempted to put it on ebay given the demand eek.gif

Toys R Us had a boat load last weekend here and I made it out alive and without an Olaf. smile.gif
Old 12-13-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Slightly OT but in the same hemisphere I rented Sofia the First on Amazon Instant. We got 20 minutes in and the kid piped up with "No like that princess, daddy. Here's remote. Put on Mike and Sully."

I didn't drop the mic. I spiked it. I can't wait to introduce her to Princess Sarah Connor.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

This went over $164 million last weekend in box office and estimated to hit over 250 million. Would put it at the biggest release for Walt Disney Animation Studios above Tangled at 200 mil and wreck it ralph at $189 mil.A nice success for them.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Slightly OT but in the same hemisphere I rented Sofia the First on Amazon Instant. We got 20 minutes in and the kid piped up with "No like that princess, daddy. Here's remote. Put on Mike and Sully."

I didn't drop the mic. I spiked it. I can't wait to introduce her to Princess Sarah Connor.
That show is absolute crap from top to bottom, it's a shame they aren't making new Little Einsteins anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

This went over $164 million last weekend in box office and estimated to hit over 250 million. Would put it at the biggest release for Walt Disney Animation Studios above Tangled at 200 mil and wreck it ralph at $189 mil.A nice success for them.

Awesome! My wife hasn't seen it yet but wants to and the kids want to go again so we will be heading back for round 2 sometime next week.

My Rig

Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That show is absolute crap from top to bottom, it's a shame they aren't making new Little Einsteins anymore.

Yeah. The animation is pretty low grade despite being hidef but it plays like Real Housewives for babies. It's on the ban pile.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Just came back from watching this today, wasn't too bad. I do prefer tangled over this but I think it will make my collection as my daughter already has asked for it on Blu.

Frank
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just came back from watching this today, wasn't too bad. I do prefer tangled over this but I think it will make my collection as my daughter already has asked for it on Blu.

Same here Tangled is better but who knows what happens after 3000 viewings.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Same here Tangled is better but who knows what happens after 3000 viewings.

That's true

Frank
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's true

I think it's mostly my lack of love for musicals. Tangled had like two music numbers where the characters did the singing otherwise it was just regular sound tracking. Frozen was all THE HILLS ARE ALIVE...and I've never been a huge fan of that.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I think it's mostly my lack of love for musicals. Tangled had like two music numbers where the characters did the singing otherwise it was just regular sound tracking. Frozen was all THE HILLS ARE ALIVE...and I've never been a huge fan of that.

I agree, my son who is 6 wasn't a fan of this movie because as he put it " there is too much singing dad" which I had to agree with him. I found it got better towards the end, not bad audio either.
I still have to purchase it because my daughter loved it. smile.gif
Did they show that b&w Mikey mouse short movie in the beginning ?
I was very impressed how they did that I hope they have it on blu ray.

Frank
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Ouch. I was looking forward to seeing this one until I read that. Pretty much kills it for me. I thought even Tangled had too much singing. Call me a barbaric caveman, but I don't want singing in my movies. My 9 year old daughter doesn't even like singing in movies.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Ouch. I was looking forward to seeing this one until I read that. Pretty much kills it for me. I thought even Tangled had too much singing. Call me a barbaric caveman, but I don't want singing in my movies. My 9 year old daughter doesn't even like singing in movies.

Its like the Sound of music in terms of singing Stephen.

Frank
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its like the Sound of music in terms of singing Stephen.

Yeah like The Lion King a song for every scene type of thing which is fine if that's your thing. I much prefer Tangled over it but I don't wear the pants in my house. Brave is a decent example of a princess movie with no singing and Tangled is a great example of a princess movie with a little singing.

I will say that Disney has landed on a great art style with Tangled and Frozen it looks like the old classic hand drawn stuff.

Tags
Frozen Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Disney