AVS Forum banner

Jupiter Ascending

11K views 378 replies 64 participants last post by  Viktor Pashin 
#1 ·
The Wachowski's have a new sci-fi on the way....

#5 ·
It looks interesting, but it also look like a bit much. I know many people loved Cloud Atlas, but I felt it was too much done with too little and not done very well. This looks to be similar in that regard. Or it might be that the trailer simply has too many things going on in it, too many colors, or something. I don't know. I want to be excited...........

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24057692

Really?

I think this trailer looks pretty cool.

The trailer looks good, in spite of Tatum Tots and Mila. They are both easy on the eyes, but IMO, them pretty faces can't ACT !! They do not have the gravitas to pull off serious sci-fi, with the kind of themes alluded to in the trailer. Would have preferred Milla over Mila, in a body suit made out of bandages, of course.

#12 ·
Just hope the W bros have created something as ground breaking as the "matrix" was back in 97. If they do, then it's going to be a another worthy Sci-Fi trilogy from them.

Like I mentioned before, Tater is living the good life like no other. He's still relatively young and getting to do just about anything and have worked with all the big directors and producers. Hate him or love him, he is going to be around for the long run and will have a career along the lines of T Cruise, Willis, and Arnold all wrapped up in one package.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24058205

The trailer looks good, in spite of Tatum Tots and Mila. They are both easy on the eyes, but IMO, them pretty faces can't ACT !! They do not have the gravitas to pull off serious sci-fi, with the kind of themes alluded to in the trailer. Would have preferred Milla over Mila, in a body suit made out of bandages, of course.

I in no way am hoping to incite any issues...but I know for certain people said the exact same thing you just did about Ted Theodore Logan...a.k.a. Johnny Utah...when "The Matrix" trailer first came out. Thinking of Keanu's pedigree going into that movie was VERY similar (for the era) as Channing's is for this. Keanu was 35...Channing is 33. Keanu obviously bucked that trend and struck MASSIVE gold with the W-siblings. I don't have the chip on my shoulder for Tatum Tots (which I find that to be the funniest nickname I have heard!) some people do...so I am definitely giving this the benefit of the doubt.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending/0_60#post_24059430

Like I mentioned before, Tater is living the good life like no other. He's still relatively young and getting to do just about anything and have worked with all the big directors and producers.
And I have no clue why...there are million just like him.

Like so many of the rest, Tatar has no exceptional acting talent and no genuine charisma.

My theory is there are handful of agents in Hollywood whose clients dominant plum roles like this.

Over and over again we see someone come out of nowhere, with nothing special about them at all, who go on this kind of a trajectory.

Some stick, most don't.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24060017

And I have no clue why...there are million just like him.

Like so many of the rest, Tatar has no exceptional acting talent and no genuine charisma.

My theory is there are handful of agents in Hollywood whose clients dominant plum roles like this.

Over and over again we see someone come out of nowhere, with nothing special about them at all, who go on this kind of a trajectory.

Some stick, most don't.

Look at the bright side. With the financial flops of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Battleship, and John Carter (a film I enjoyed BTW), we've probably seen the end of the effort to make Taylor Kitsch an action star.

Loved him in 'Friday Night Lights', though. Some guys are just better suited to the small screen.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24060370

Look at the bright side. With the financial flops of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Battleship, and John Carter (a film I enjoyed BTW), we've probably seen the end of the effort to make Taylor Kitsch an action star.

Loved him in 'Friday Night Lights', though. Some guys are just better suited to the small screen.

He was pretty good in Lone Survivor. But I do think he is more of a small screen guy. He doesn't emote very well, and he seems to be a small presence on screen.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending/0_60#post_24066427

Hmmm. Not sure what to think about this one. I want to be more excited but.... Wachowski directed with Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis..... all in super hardcore Sci-fi? I don't know.

This could be the coolest Sci-fi movie ever.

Or possibly one of the worst.

Expectations will be kept very low but I'll be seeing it. July is a ways off.
You never know how things will turn out.

I was really excited about Cloud Atlas, until I saw it.

Although interesting, their choice of using the same actors in different roles didn't work for me.

I felt deflated and don't know if I will ever watch it again....

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24066702

Although interesting, their choice of using the same actors in different roles didn't work for me.

It was the EXACT same for me. The trailer looked very interesting. The movie disappointed me hugely. I have no idea why they thought all of the make up was a good idea. Someone should have told them that it wasn't. I do think I'll watch it again though. Maybe a second viewing will change my mind on it. But I doubt it.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending/0_60#post_24066827

I do think I'll watch it again though. Maybe a second viewing will change my mind on it.
I guess as a fan of the Wachowskis, I'm obligated to give it another go....but I'm in no hurry.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1504737/jupiter-ascending#post_24066702

I think Cloud Atlas merits a second viewing. If, for no other reason than it was so difficult to follow the first time. Another reason is to pause and ogle some of those gorgeous scenescapes - the production design was exceptional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.