Edge Of Tomorrow (June 6th, 2014) - Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #271 of 289 Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Heh, I rooted for the aliens. If you like it, just buy it; who cares what the general movie-public thinks? BTW, Inception is a great movie, whereas Looper's poorly directed and turns out dumb, IMO.
+1

...And EOT made more than Hercules.
Just sayin' zoey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Also enjoyed the humor. I kept waiting to hear TC use EB's middle name (Beth, IIRC) but he never did. I was thinking that was supposed to be a trigger at some point but it never occurred - maybe that scene was edited out. Anyway, at the end when TC walked into the training room I was sure his response to her was going to be, hi Beth. However...

And we got to see a different kind of alien for a change. Refreshing.
post #273 of 289 Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Saying that EOT is too smart for average audiences isn't a valid criticism, but a compliment. Not all movies should be created for the lowest common denominator. The popcorn audience probably doesn't know what the word denominator means.
There is nothing wrong with any movie that makes you think, even an ostensibly loud, dumb Tom Cruise action flick. Edge of Tomorrow passed my acid test when I watched it a second time and ended up liking it even better than I had the first. 8 Stars out of 10, and I should add that I love me some Emily Blunt.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #274 of 289 Old 11-09-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I watched it last night and enjoyed the humor in it too. I liked the idea of how the aliens got on earth.
post #275 of 289 Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Y'all can defend say all you want about it being smart, blah blah but keep in mind the studios produce a movie to garnish as much ticket sales as possible. You really think they aimed this only for the nerds n geeks that get it? I don't think so.

2nd, maybe I'm old school but I was taught in English class a book or story always has a protagonist & formidable antagonist. In this movie, where r the antagonist? It's not laid out or shown who or where these aliens came from or what they want. If it is then is very vague at most.

In fact the great late gene siskel taught me long ago that a good action flick is proportional to how bad ass the bad guy is,..ie darth fader, jaws, Appolo, Drago from rocky, on & on. Is this difficult to understand? I want my bad guy to be fleshed out n prominent ok, not some faceless, nameless aliens with no background.

Ok so it's like a sport without a defense, like golf where you're wanking pretty much by yourself. You practice by yourself,.what fun is that?

The movie spends so much time invested in showing n explaining the die n live again the bad guys r basically absent, a no show,..capesh? This is not a minor quibble, it's a gigantic missing piece that never lays down the proper foundation.
post #276 of 289 Old 11-10-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Y'all can defend say all you want about it being smart, blah blah but keep in mind the studios produce a movie to garnish as much ticket sales as possible. You really think they aimed this only for the nerds n geeks that get it? I don't think so.
But what makes you think only the "nerds n geeks" get it?

Granted it wasn't as successful as WB probably expected, but :
RT: 90% fresh - 91% audience score
IMDB: 8/10
Metacritic: metascore 71 / user score 8.4 "universal acclaim"

Now I KNOW these numbers don't necessarily mean much, but they still give an indication of sorts. General opinion seems to indicate that audiences did like the film quite a bit. And your comments seem to indicate to you just didn't like it, which is totally fine

Quote:
2nd, maybe I'm old school but I was taught in English class a book or story always has a protagonist & formidable antagonist. In this movie, where r the antagonist? It's not laid out or shown who or where these aliens came from or what they want. If it is then is very vague at most.
who/where is the antagonist in Independence Day, War Of The Worlds, Ender's Game, Signs, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, etc? Alien Invasion movies have their own set of rules, and having a powerful antagonist doesn't always mean a "darth vader" type of character, imo.
post #277 of 289 Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
After 30 in, the lather rinse repeat schematics got tiring & worst of all unbelievable.

The audience will simply lose interest, they don't know who to root for cause they're confused as heck.
I thought the progression was carried out very well. It started slowly until you got the gist of what was happening, and then, bam, bam, bam, one after another, which had me LOL quite a few times.

Quote:

I want my bad guy to be fleshed out n prominent ok, not some faceless, nameless aliens with no background.

The movie spends so much time invested in showing n explaining the die n live again the bad guys r basically absent, a no show,..capesh? This is not a minor quibble, it's a gigantic missing piece that never lays down the proper foundation.
I understand what you are saying, but if aliens invade Earth tomorrow we wouldn't know anything about them or what their agenda is and there would be widespread panic. When it comes to alien invasions they don't need to hand out a brochure or explain anything. That is about as real as it can get. When its kill or be killed I don't need a backstory.
GoCaboNow likes this.

Last edited by Aliens; 11-10-2014 at 07:05 AM.
post #278 of 289 Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
There is nothing wrong with any movie that makes you think
True. However, studios don't care about the .005% of us that don't mind thinking. Throw some explosions, sex, and violence out there and you've got a money making winner. Put a plot twist in it that the .005% of us saw coming after the first 5 minutes of the film and you've got good critic reviews. Throw a slight fringe edge to it and a high priced cast....get ready for awards season.

Every passing year sees my book count going up and my movie interest going down. Seems most films now are comedies, whether it's intentional or not.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #279 of 289 Old 11-10-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
maybe I'm old school but I was taught in English class a book or story always has a protagonist & formidable antagonist. In this movie, where r the antagonist?
I agree that there wasn't a strong "villian" in this film. This was a movie more about how it told the story than what that story was. It was about watching the "video game spawning" play out in a real world scenario. I really liked watching that part of the film, but wasn't particuarly interested in the specifics of the aliens or what would happen at the end.

Pixar's movies have antagonists, but they don't really have a "strong antagonist" or villians (and they're mostly all critically acclaimed). The drama of the story comes from characters whose actions and ideologies clash with each other.

It's why a movie like Days of Future Past works and Amazing Spider Man 2 falls flat.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #280 of 289 Old 11-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
True. However, studios don't care about the .005% of us that don't mind thinking. Throw some explosions, sex, and violence out there and you've got a money making winner. Put a plot twist in it that the .005% of us saw coming after the first 5 minutes of the film and you've got good critic reviews. Throw a slight fringe edge to it and a high priced cast....get ready for awards season.

Every passing year sees my book count going up and my movie interest going down. Seems most films now are comedies, whether it's intentional or not.
I agree, a good book is hard to beat.

But I think the U.S. movie going public is voting with their wallets and I don't see real crappy, blockbuster type movies doing as well at the box office, or getting good reviews anymore. Bay's Transformers 2 and 3 are the poster child for style over substance box office success but there are fewer of these now and more box office failures for would be 'splosion, blockbuster franchises. Though, too bad some good movies do not find box office success.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #281 of 289 Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
2nd, maybe I'm old school but I was taught in English class a book or story always has a protagonist & formidable antagonist.
I don't believe that's true in every case. And it's OK to color outside the lines sometimes. It's also OK to go against the grain a little from what's taught in film school. Anyway, I can't make you like this movie.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #282 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Hate Tom Cruise.
Loved this movie.
Funnest flick this year.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #283 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Hate Tom Cruise.
Loved this movie.
Funnest flick this year.
I am far from Tom Cruise's most ardent fan but long ago came around to admiring the great job he does in picking parts in action flicks that work for him. Despite how irritating he can be, Cruise does consistently good work in action roles, it seems to me.

I too like the film and liked it even better the second time I saw it than I had the first, which is a plus. Also, I thought Emily Blunt was great. CAVEAT: I always think Emily Blunt is great.
post #284 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
[QUOTE]...I was taught in English class...[QUOTE/]

Now that's entertainment!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #285 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am far from Tom Cruise's most ardent fan but long ago came around to admiring the great job he does in picking parts in action flicks that work for him. Despite how irritating he can be, Cruise does consistently good work in action roles, it seems to me.

I too like the film and liked it even better the second time I saw it than I had the first, which is a plus. Also, I thought Emily Blunt was great. CAVEAT: I always think Emily Blunt is great.

+1 TC has been picking some great action roles of late. I'm coming around.

Agree on Blunt too. Sci-fi, Drama, Rom-com - the gal has range.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #286 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Agree on Blunt too. Sci-fi, Drama, Rom-com - the gal has range.
Blunt won my heart with her star making performance in The Devil Wears Prada and sealed the deal in The Young Victoria. There aren't many beautiful young actresses who can project the combination of intelligence and charming edginess that Blunt can bring to bear.

Rosamund Pike is another beautiful young actress with Blunt's kind of range. When I saw her as the beautiful and sweet natured Jane Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, I had no idea that she had the kind of talent I have seen her display since, most recently as the beautiful and brilliant, but evil, Amy Dunn in Gone Girl.
wizzack likes this.
post #287 of 289 Old 11-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Watched it on Blu-ray today. Very entertaining (that's what movies are supposed to be). Many have posted the comments I would such as reminding them of Groundhog Day and Source Code. I'll add another, it reminded me of a thread on this forum where couple of posters keep repeating the same posts over and over again.

Some actions are well choreographed and easy to follow but the aliens' movements are so fast and choppy that it's difficult to decipher. As for the last few minutes actions, although it was more predictable than the first half of the movie, I think the suspense itself is pay off of those scenes. Then the last half minute or so was a decent finishing touch, IMO.

Overall, I would say it's better than most movies of 2014 so far.
post #288 of 289 Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. That opening bass was just bonkers.
post #289 of 289 Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
yes mr. cruise and ms. blunt built some chemistry here

definitely helped make this film so enjoyable

neflixis our nemesis
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page