Edge Of Tomorrow (June 6th, 2014) - Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #121 of 207 Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How about Ann Hornady in the Washington Post? She likes it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/edge-of-tomorrow-movie-review-tom-cruise-shows-that-hes-still-got-it/2014/06/05/b3ac5bd6-eb29-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html?tid=hpModule_d39b60e8-8691-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 207 Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Not an excuse but I did contact the AVS powers-that-be because I've been having problems posting and perusing the site. The same thing with my daughter's math worksite. All the other websites I visit...not a problem. I'm about ready to change browsers to see if that does the trick.
What browser are you using now. If it's IE different versions can affect what happens. You might give Firefox a try.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #123 of 207 Old 06-06-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

What browser are you using now. If it's IE different versions can affect what happens. You might give Firefox a try.

That was some time back. I switched to a different browser on all the computers and things have been fine for a couple of months. Much thanks for asking.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #124 of 207 Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I use Chrome and have also noticed the problem with the AVS servers slowing things down to the point the request times-out and you're dumped out of the queue, having to start over. My guess is you've hit the site's maximum capacity wall at that moment. Waiting a few minutes before trying again as the traffic ebbs and flows usually works.

Methinks it may be time for another AVS server upgrade.
post #125 of 207 Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
alright, slow friday, thought I'd check it out

nice inventive plot, well executed, cruise and blunt got a little chemistry

nothing special about fx,
a humorous first half, somewhat predictable second

muy bueno sci fi flick, definitely a rent at home

good enough to see in a theater just so you don't have to wait 4-5 months to see it

neflixis our nemesis
post #126 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Saw it after work yesterday and really liked it. I did not like the end unless I figure out how it makes sense given the events. It was definitely a good story and among the better sci fi movies.
post #127 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
You guys have convinced me to do a blind buy.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #128 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's worth a pass. Light on the Sci-Fi to say the least and more concentrated on the 2 mains, but it works
for the most part. It could have easily bogged down with so many connects to recent films, aka Mek suits, etc etc.
Kind of a puzzle solving story. People attach Groundhog Day to this for good reason.
post #129 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

It's worth a pass. Light on the Sci-Fi to say the least and more concentrated on the 2 mains, but it works
for the most part. It could have easily bogged down with so many connects to recent films, aka Mek suits, etc etc.
Kind of a puzzle solving story. People attach Groundhog Day to this for good reason.
Love Sci-fi and Groundhog Day, so I'm in.smile.gif

post #130 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Quote:

Love Sci-fi and Groundhog Day, so I'm in.smile.gif

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I saw it in an Atmos theater last night, and really liked it. This is a sci-fi movie with heart and a sense of humor just like Oblivion, Source Code and Moon. If you like those sort of stories, this one is right up your alley. Just like Oblivion, this movie deserves to be seen on the biggest screen and the best audio presentation possible. Definitely a movie that benefits from the grand scale of presentation. The movie has a good mix of humor, sci-fi intrigue, bonkers aliens, and a genuine story of Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
love and sacrifice...

Cruise is as reliable as ever in a frantic action set piece, and Emily Blunt is a revelation. Unless your home theater can rival the newest Atmos theaters in scale and quality of presentation, I'd recommend you see it on the big screen. I give it my unreserved recommendation.

Rating: 9/10.
post #131 of 207 Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I will be getting this on a blind buy as well

Frank

post #132 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Haven't seen it yet, but the trailer reminds me of Source Code which I loved. Will get out to see it next week.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #133 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Haven't seen it yet, but the trailer reminds me of Source Code which I loved. Will get out to see it next week.

I really liked Source Code too, 9 Stars out of 10. If Edge of Tomorrow even approaches being as good I will be impressed.
post #134 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I really enjoyed this myself, my expectations were low but I was pleasantly surprised, it was a great mix of humor, action and a decent enough story. But if someone could explain the ending to me or is it just what I'm thinking and the ending was terrible compared to the rest of the film. Not terrible enough to ruin it but I may have hated the ending more because I liked the rest of the movie so much.
post #135 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I really liked Source Code too, 9 Stars out of 10. If Edge of Tomorrow even approaches being as good I will be impressed.

gwsat,

Our tastes in movies and shows align quite often, and given that you have liked Source Code that much, this one would easily be an 8 if not more. Go out and see this in one of those fine big screen theaters near you. This movie deserves better than the 3rd place at the box office behind "The fault in our stars" and "Maleficent". Hopefully word of mouth would improve its take in the weeks ahead.
post #136 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Really enjoyed this movie. Tom Cruise was absolutely terrific - his shmarmy coward to warrior transition was very well done and he sold the comedy of his character perfectly. He had a hell of a job to do to portray
all the levels of his character through seemingly countless different snippets and scenes at different "times."

The only let down was the ending that wasn't as smart and interesting as the rest of the movie was - basically became the expected CGI fest (and a dark one at that), with a somewhat "tacked on" vibe to the ending.
Overall though, some pretty brilliant editing in the movie.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #137 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 633
We have a top-notch film critic for the local fishwrap here in Charlotte and he said basically the same thing - great movie, great performances by both Cruise and Blunt, but a disappointing ending. In essence, the studio "chickened out" and gave the audience what it thought they would want (it looked focus-group tested), rather than where the movie might have organically led if they had had more guts.

Without getting into spoiler territory, is that basically what you guys thought?
post #138 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

We have a top-notch film critic for the local fishwrap here in Charlotte and he said basically the same thing - great movie, great performances by both Cruise and Blunt, but a disappointing ending. In essence, the studio "chickened out" and gave the audience what it thought they would want (it looked focus-group tested), rather than where the movie might have organically led if they had had more guts.

Without getting into spoiler territory, is that basically what you guys thought?

I did not mind the ending - as I felt that having a standard hollywood ending or otherwise would not have made much of a difference to the overall movie, but I guess some people are more sensitive to a "hollywood ending." Some people were saying that the literal last 2-3 minutes of the movie spoiled the rest of the movie's strengths. In video game parlance, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the BOSS battle was not the toughest battle in the package,
but it was enough FOR ME.

So, I'd say don't let the objections over the ending prevent you from seeing the movie, as the rest of the movie is definitely a worthy effort. Others' MMV.
post #139 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Liked: 15
Edge of Tomorrow was great. Like it's been stated before, this deserves to be seen on the big screen with a nice sound system. I'm going it see it again in a few days and this is a day one purchase for me on BD.
post #140 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I love it when filmmakers set a difficult challenge for themselves in terms of producing the desired effect and response for the audience and succeed in meeting that challenge. When you see them succeeding, that alone is enough to put a smile on your face. In this case, as the premise of it takes shape you don't just wonder how the story will turn out but, perhaps even more, how the filmmakers are going to keep it interesting, keep the necessary repetition from becoming tedious. I thought director Liman and stars Cruise and Blunt pulled this one off beautifully. Yes, the ending wasn't steel trap logical within the world it had created but I don't think that is possible in these loop-de-loop time travel movies. In fact, there were holes in the "logic" of it throughout. But the style and fun of the movie, the performances by its stars, particularly Cruise imo, won the day.

On Cruise, he may not disappear into a character the way others of his generation can. You can almost always see Cruise, the filmmaker, making an acting choice as a matter of effective story-telling rather than as a matter of emotional inevitability. But that's not such a bad thing in this era. The guy has star quality to spare and, as an avid movie fan himself, a keen knowledge of what would and would not work best for the audience in a given scene. I wouldn't be surprised by some Oscar nomination buzz for him in this one. I know it is a rarity for that kind of buzz for an acting performance in this genre. But he really didn't flag or disappoint for a single frame of this movie, and it clearly was not an easy lift.
post #141 of 207 Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
one could,without much struggle,venture how this film was likely to end,
and it ended that way.
It certainly didn't hold up as well as the rest of the film, which was highly entertaining

hell of a lot of fun and laughs
havent liked a cruise this much in a flick since maybe mi1

read the budget on this was 180 mill. not sure where all this money went as,
from what I saw, would've guessed about half of that

neflixis our nemesis
post #142 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

On Cruise, he may not disappear into a character the way others of his generation can. You can almost always see Cruise, the filmmaker, making an acting choice as a matter of effective story-telling rather than as a matter of emotional inevitability.

That's a very good way of putting it. I always see Tom Cruise "acting" but the choices he makes tend to deliver the drama of the story very well.

Rich H

post #143 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

That's a very good way of putting it. I always see Tom Cruise "acting" but the choices he makes tend to deliver the drama of the story very well.
IMO and FWIW, I don't really "catch him acting" (a phrase coined by Siskel & Ebert decades ago), but I am aware I am watching T.C.
His skills are too good at this point in his career.wink.gif

post #144 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

IMO and FWIW, I don't really "catch him acting" (a phrase coined by Siskel & Ebert decades ago), but I am aware I am watching T.C.
His skills are too good at this point in his career.wink.gif

Not sure what you mean by "too good" tools. I watched Jack Reacher again last night and he seemed self consciously "acting" through literally every scene. I never saw just the character, I only
saw Tom Cruise trying to be the character. (Which is different IMO from actors who are "themselves" in movies, but who nonetheless seem to be acting naturalistically).

However, I think he did an outstanding job on The Edge Of Tomorrow. Great range and nuance for an action blockbuster performance.

Rich H

post #145 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yes, he is a bit of a Cary Grant for today. Like Cary Grant, Tom Cruise is a "craftsman" of film acting rather than an "artist". Or at least much more of one than the other.

We always knew why Grant said a line a certain way, flashed his eyes just so or made a particular gesture in a scene. It was because he knew doing so would convey something valuable about the character, story or theme, made a joke funnier, made the character more charming, likable or some other important attribute. The "artists" feel they must lose 100 lbs., gain 60 lbs., shave their heads, force us to watch them summon up every hurtful moment of their childhood and spill it all over the place in this or that scene. Which can feel like real work to watch sometimes. But that isn't what Cary Grant did and not what Tom Cruise does. They don't "lose themselves in the role". And, these days, I think I much prefer to watch a "craftsman" of the form rather than endure someone exorcising their personal demons all over me for two hours. It was a pleasure to watch Tom Cruise do his job, perform his craft really well in this movie.
post #146 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I was watching Edge Of Tomorrow and Sergeant Farell appeared to start chewing scenery, I was thinking "ugh, this guy kinda sucks" and I just found him one note, cartoonish, and not terribly entertaining.
It was only late in the movie that I realized "Ah cripes! It's Bill Paxton! No wonder!" I've never seen him not suck in a movie, and that includes Aliens and everything else other people seem to love him for. He just never stops sounding like a slightly head-injured lunk-head no matter what role he's in, script lines drop out of his mouth and fall like wood to the floor, and I just can't buy the guy as entertaining in any context.

Rich H

post #147 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's it, man. Game over, man! Game over! What the f_ck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

post #148 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Yep. W'um talkin' 'bout. Like someone throwing a brick into the screen.

Rich H

post #149 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I thought that was part of his appeal? I love when the guy is onscreen. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #150 of 207 Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I remember thinking "this feels like an FPS video game on the hard difficulty level" during the movie as I re-watched it with some friends on Sunday. I was not bored even the second time. It did make me dislike the ending even more though. It seemed to be a rather large jump from the logic presented earlier in the film.

Probably setting up a sequel...
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page