Edge Of Tomorrow (June 6th, 2014) - Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #151 of 211 Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IMO and FWIW, I don't really "catch him acting" (a phrase coined by Siskel & Ebert decades ago),

Siskel & Ebert were probably referencing what Spencer Tracy said about film acting decades before that.

STARRING SPENCER TRACY - 1/14
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/161250%7C31570/Spencer-Tracy-Profile.html
Quote:
Movie audiences loved Spencer Tracy because he was so natural on the screen that he never seemed to be acting. He would tell young actors, "Never let them [the audience] catch you at it" and "show up on time, know your lines, and don't bump into the furniture." It wasn't that effortless but he made it seem so. Katharine Hepburn who co-starred with Tracy in nine films and had a twenty-five year relationship with him off screen acknowledged his unique style of acting, saying to him, "...you were, really the greatest movie actor. I say this because I believe it and I've heard so many people of standing in our business say it - from [Laurence] Olivier to Lee Strasberg, David Lean, name it. You could do it, and you could do it with that glorious simplicity, that directness. You could just...do it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 211 Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

Siskel & Ebert were probably referencing what Spencer Tracy said about film acting decades before that.

STARRING SPENCER TRACY - 1/14
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/161250%7C31570/Spencer-Tracy-Profile.html
You're probably right.cool.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #153 of 211 Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Just got back from this. Very good! I can echo pretty much all of you guys have said. Btw, I wasn't bothered by the 'resets' at all and expected it. I also had enjoyed Source Code. I think this was at least just as good or better. Going to say I don't know yet if this is as good or will live up to how cool Oblivion was. There was just some sense of originality and coolness about Oblivion that this one lacks. That being said, stellar performances by our leads. Sure didn't expect as much humor but it works all the time.

Like the rest of you, I'm not sure about the ending. I wasn't terrible but it does have some whiff of 'cobbled together' or focus group chosen as it was mentioned. wink.gif

I'll need some more time to let it sink in but I would not be opposed to seeing it again. Most likely will buy this when it comes to video.

One complaint: I wanted more shots to linger. Especially in the establishing shots and the action. The worst thing going for this was you really couldn't see what the hell is going on often. I hate that. Though the action sequences were excellent all around so you take the good with the bad. wink.gif

Oink, go see this! biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #154 of 211 Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I intend to.
Probably won't be until next week...too much going on at the moment.

post #155 of 211 Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I intend to.
Probably won't be until next week...too much going on at the moment.

I am sure priorities need to be adhered to smile.gif, but I doubt you'd still have an Atmos screen playing this at that time. The BO performance had been disappointing, so odds are overwhelming that it'd be gone from the XD, ETX and RPX screens later this week, replaced by 22 Jump Street. Maybe an IMAX screen would stick with this one a little longer.
post #156 of 211 Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

When I was watching Edge Of Tomorrow and Sergeant Farell appeared to start chewing scenery, I was thinking "ugh, this guy kinda sucks" and I just found him one note, cartoonish, and not terribly entertaining.
It was only late in the movie that I realized "Ah cripes! It's Bill Paxton! No wonder!" I've never seen him not suck in a movie, and that includes Aliens and everything else other people seem to love him for. He just never stops sounding like a slightly head-injured lunk-head no matter what role he's in, script lines drop out of his mouth and fall like wood to the floor, and I just can't buy the guy as entertaining in any context.

Did you ever see HBO's 'Big Love'? He played an entirely different character and was very good. Also enjoyed his performance as a villain in this past season's 'Marvel: Agents of SHIELD'.
post #157 of 211 Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I am sure priorities need to be adhered to smile.gif, but I doubt you'd still have an Atmos screen playing this at that time. The BO performance had been disappointing, so odds are overwhelming that it'd be gone from the XD, ETX and RPX screens later this week, replaced by 22 Jump Street. Maybe an IMAX screen would stick with this one a little longer.
Don't have an Atmos theater locally anyway and won't do IMAX anymore (I gotta protect what's left of my hearing)wink.gif

post #158 of 211 Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
My wife and I went to see Edge Of Tomorrow last week, while my daughter went to The Fault In Our Stars with her friend (I refuse to see this thing for a number of reasons). I didn't really know what to expect regarding the "repetitive" aspect of the story, but found it very well executed. Each time you think you've already been there, a new element reminds you that there are more surprises ahead. There was a lot of funny moments and situations, which was actually a welcome addition considering the whole storyline. Oblivion and Edge Of Tomorrow do share some similarities (alien invasion to start with) but this one is really "action sci-fi" with a focus on the action. Nothing wrong with that. There was a great chemistry between Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise, I liked how it developed throughout the film. In a few scenes there's an emotion between these two characters that we can feel, which makes these moments even more enjoyable in an action-filled movie. Too bad it won't be very successful apparently, it deserves to be.

A few words about the ending (heavy spoiler ahead read at your own risk!): Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At first I thought "how is that even possible?" but then I started to think about it... Remember that it was never Cage who "chose" to reset the day, it was the boss alien who wanted to make sure there was no threat. After killing it, it triggers one last reset, except this time, it's not even the alien that makes the choice either, since it's now dead. There's nobody left to "control" the resets. Having defeated them, the "reaction" happens one last time but the aliens have already lost. So the big boss can't go back anymore, the last reset happens after it's killed. ...it probably still doesn't make much sense, but as usual with time travel situations, how is that even possible anyway? wink.gif

Oh and for the LFE aficionados...as they said in The Matrix, "fasten your seatbelt Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore" tongue.gif In some scenes, the lows are just brutal smile.gif
post #159 of 211 Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Don't have an Atmos theater locally anyway and won't do IMAX anymore (I gotta protect what's left of my hearing)wink.gif
Well recorded film, should work fine without Atmos, not nearly as loud as 300: Rise of an Empire. If you have access to a THX theater I would do that.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #160 of 211 Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Just got back from this. Very good! I can echo pretty much all of you guys have said. Btw, I wasn't bothered by the 'resets' at all and expected it. I also had enjoyed Source Code. I think this was at least just as good or better. Going to say I don't know yet if this is as good or will live up to how cool Oblivion was. There was just some sense of originality and coolness about Oblivion that this one lacks. That being said, stellar performances by our leads. Sure didn't expect as much humor but it works all the time.

Like the rest of you, I'm not sure about the ending. I wasn't terrible but it does have some whiff of 'cobbled together' or focus group chosen as it was mentioned. wink.gif

I'll need some more time to let it sink in but I would not be opposed to seeing it again. Most likely will buy this when it comes to video.

One complaint: I wanted more shots to linger. Especially in the establishing shots and the action. The worst thing going for this was you really couldn't see what the hell is going on often. I hate that. Though the action sequences were excellent all around so you take the good with the bad. wink.gif

It's directed by Doug Liman so it's not your average action picture. Most the good stuff is not in the trailer. As to the ending that last line can be interpreted several different ways as a whole the ending was book like not film like. Oblivion is more sci-fi, this is multi genre, It is as much what it isn't as to what it is. See it and you'll know what I mean.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #161 of 211 Old 06-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Ummm....

You do know I posted that after seeing the movie, right?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #162 of 211 Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm an SF geek so I enjoyed it, and had no trouble with the intricate plot. But at dinner afterwards I had to spend another 30 minutes or so explaining plot points to my two friends. So I would say the plot is a little too complex and the onscreen action a little too fast and hard to follow.

Overall, a B- and it's OK to wait for the Blu-ray.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #163 of 211 Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just finished seeing this in IMAX down in Randolph, and I saw it was quite different from the source material in how it played out, especially the ending. But if you thought the ending to the movie didn't make much sense, try the ending to the original story.
Spoiler!

Being used to convolutions in plot as I am, I found I could follow along better than maybe others. (It helps if you're familiar with the works of the late anime director Satoshi Kon, such as Perfect Blue, which has plenty of its own convolutions.) If I were asked by a casual movie-goer to explain it better, I might be able to. In any case, my only complaint is that it seemed to get stuck on preliminaries for too long, before it got to the real meat of the story. But that wouldn't prevent me from seeing this again, or even possibly owning it later on.

post #164 of 211 Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post
Just finished seeing this in IMAX down in Randolph, and I saw it was quite different from the source material in how it played out, especially the ending. But if you thought the ending to the movie didn't make much sense, try the ending to the original story.
Spoiler!

Being used to convolutions in plot as I am, I found I could follow along better than maybe others. (It helps if you're familiar with the works of the late anime director Satoshi Kon, such as Perfect Blue, which has plenty of its own convolutions.) If I were asked by a casual movie-goer to explain it better, I might be able to. In any case, my only complaint is that it seemed to get stuck on preliminaries for too long, before it got to the real meat of the story. But that wouldn't prevent me from seeing this again, or even possibly owning it later on.
That ending ( in the spoiler) is actually logical in a Vulcan/Star Trek kind of way.

post #165 of 211 Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this on Sunday. Well done! Enjoyed it from start to finish, as did my wife and daughter. I am glad that I choose the 2d showing because much of the action was so frantic that I am not sure how well 3d (and my brain) would handle it. I don't see how 3d would enhance the film. The humorous moments work well for me and those in the packed theater. For me the effects were very good, seamless, and I cant wait to hear this sucker in my home theater. Got to say that after Looper and this one I have become even more of a fan of Emily Blunt!

Last edited by MarshallW; 06-16-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #166 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So I watched this yesterday. It was safe to say that it was the military version of Groundhog Day!...

Thankfully, unlike Memento, I was able to get this quickly which meant that the rest of the film made sense. Right up until...
Spoiler!

Well worth the price of admission and most likely a BD buy for me.

Seggers

For the Mods, it would seem that the spoiler tags don't seem to work in the current version of IE 11.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #167 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
So I watched this yesterday. It was safe to say that it was the military version of Groundhog Day!...

Thankfully, unlike Memento, I was able to get this quickly which meant that the rest of the film made sense. Right up until...
Spoiler!

Well worth the price of admission and most likely a BD buy for me.

Seggers

For the Mods, it would seem that the spoiler tags don't seem to work in the current version of IE 11.
That's not how I interpreted the ending at all. IMO the alien had no control. Why it was written as it was and when along with the mechanism, is up to debate.
post #168 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I saw this opening weekend in IMAX 3D and when it ended I didn't really know how I felt about the movie other than I loved Emily Blunt.

As others have said it felt like a mash-up of Groundhog Day/Matrix/Aliens but I don't feel the love others have.

I much preferred Tom Cruise in Oblivion. I may get it on BD on release day...or not.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #169 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post
That's not how I interpreted the ending at all. IMO the alien had no control. Why it was written as it was and when along with the mechanism, is up to debate.
I agree

Spoiler!

Plus - I usually try not to be too nit picky about time travel movies
post #170 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Does TC runs in this movie? I'm not talking about the, the half circle shooting scene in the trailer! I mean full on running for at least 30, 40 yards that's when I'm in!

Just kidding, want to go out and see this one, where you NYC'er have seen this in a Atmos theater?

Thanks

Djoel

post #171 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Does TC runs in this movie? I'm not talking about the, the half circle shooting scene in the trailer! I mean full on running for at least 30, 40 yards that's when I'm in!
That's cruel....he's an old man now.

I can't run any further than from my Lazyboy to the Frig for another beer.
Djoel likes this.

post #172 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
That's cruel....he's an old man now.

I can't run any further than from my Lazyboy to the Frig for another beer.

Have Pig - Will Travel.
raaj, Djoel and fookoo_2010 like this.
post #173 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Have Pig - Will Travel.
That pic translates to a joke in my mind, but in deference to Oink, I'll resist posting it.
post #174 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have Pig - Will Travel.
You PROMISED you wouldn't post that!!!!
post #175 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
He doesn't do those full on crazy sprints like in the M.I. films. But there is a brief scene when he and Emily Blunt are running towards something together.

I guess if it's a running duet it doesn't count.
Djoel likes this.
post #176 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Went to a matinee today.

Very entertaining (like Liman's Mr. & Mrs. Smith).

Excellent pacing, acting, humor, and baddies.
High production values.
LOTS of whiz-bang CGI.

Bill Paxton is a hoot as the stereotypical Sarge.

Ms. Blunt continues to make me wish I was 30 years younger.
She may be the sexiest woman on-screen today.

Replay value is high; day 1 BD purchase for me.
dfergie likes this.
post #177 of 211 Old 06-17-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Just kidding, want to go out and see this one, where you NYC'er have seen this in a Atmos theater?

Thanks

Djoel
Speaking of Tom Cruise running in this movie, I really appreciated some of the early shots of him (running!) among the group of misfits during his cursory basic training for their mission. Liman, with Cruise's full understanding and cooperation I'm sure, shoots those running scenes in a way that accentuates Cruise's real life small stature in a way I don't recall seeing done so purposely in previous TC movies. The other trainees in the background and surrounding him appear to be towering over him, which I'm sure they probably did in real life anyway. Of course, that would be exactly the right image for his character at this early stage of its evolution.

Last edited by hitchfan; 06-17-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #178 of 211 Old 06-18-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have Pig - Will Travel.
I dare him to try that with a boar!!

post #179 of 211 Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I dare him to try that with a boar!!
post #180 of 211 Old 06-18-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
This was a slow day for me so, on a whim, I saw Edge of Tomorrow this afternoon. I saw it in a recently refurbished AMC theater that has reclining club chair seating and a Dolby Atmos sound system, which has LFE so good, I can feel it vibrate my seat. As others have said, the film looks and sounds wonderful. Better yet, I ended up liking it more than I expected I would.

Unlike the reactions of some others, the ending didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought it worked within the context of the film but don't ask me to explain what it meant. Edge of Tomorrow is a bit smarter than the typical loud and dumb summer blockbuster. Highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10.

Speaking of blockbusters, despite my high regard for this film, people seem not to be flocking to see it. There were only a few other patrons at the showing I attended, although there were a lot of people seeing other films in the cineplex. Anyway, I wish it well.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page