American Hustle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 226 Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49

Fictionalized version of the Abscam scandal, shot on film, and looking like it was made in the late 70's or early 80's. Jennifer Lawrence more than proves her worth as one of the best actresses of her generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 226 Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Jennifer Lawrence more than proves her worth as one of the best actresses of her generation.

Jennifer Lawrence blew me away with her performance in Winter's Bone and has done more great work since. She was so wonderful in Silver Linings Playbook, for which she won an Oscar, I wonder how she can top herself but I wouldn't bet against her. She has turned in so many wonderful performances already, I have to frequently remind myself that she's only 23. Even the great Meryl Streep didn't win her first Oscar until she was in her 30s.
post #3 of 226 Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And this is in a supporting role with very limited onscreen time.
post #4 of 226 Old 12-13-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And this is in a supporting role with very limited onscreen time.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Lawrence's role in American Hustle was quite small. I also saw, however, that she was awesome in it. (What else is new?). David O. Russell's idiosyncratic schtick has always appealed to me and the critics are falling all over themselves, saying how much they loved it, so I will definitely be seeing this one.

ADDENDUM: It just occurred to me that when you talked about a small role and limited screen time you might have meant Streep in her first Oscar winning performance Kramer vs. Kramer. I had interpreted your comment to be referring to Lawrence's performance in American Hustle but now see how that might not have been right.
post #5 of 226 Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah, I read somewhere that Lawrence's role in American Hustle was quite small. I also saw, however, that she was awesome in it. (What else is new?). David O. Russell's idiosyncratic schtick has always appealed to me and the critics are falling all over themselves, saying how much they loved it, so I will definitely be seeing this one.

ADDENDUM: It just occurred to me that when you talked about a small role and limited screen time you might have meant Streep in her first Oscar winning performance Kramer vs. Kramer. I had interpreted your comment to be referring to Lawrence's performance in American Hustle but now see how that might not have been right.

No, I was referring to her role in American Hustle. It is not overacting to simply take the character over and make it believable.
post #6 of 226 Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Fictionalized version of the Abscam scandal, shot on film.
Ahhhh, I had read this was based on a "true story," or something to that effect, but couldn't find out exactly what.
Thanx for the info.

Quote:

Jennifer Lawrence blew me away with her performance in Winter's Bone and has done more great work since. She was so wonderful in Silver Linings Playbook, for which she won an Oscar, I wonder how she can top herself but I wouldn't bet against her. She has turned in so many wonderful performances already, I have to frequently remind myself that she's only 23. Even the great Meryl Streep didn't win her first Oscar until she was in her 30s.
Ms. Lawrence is VERY impressive.

I despised SLP (because of the unappealing characters).
However, I am not knocking her artistry....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 226 Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Jennifer Lawrence blew me away with her performance in Winter's Bone and has done more great work since.

I agree. Winters Bone was my first exposure to her and then began to look for her in future films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I had to smile at this because at the start of SLP I was not enjoying it at all. ( Emotionally damaged people with self destructive tendency's) but I have to say the film completely won me over by the end.

Jennifer Lawrence's performance was a huge part of that.

After watching the latest Hunger Games - ( Which I enjoyed even more than the first installment ) I was struck how she absolutely carried this film. It has been a while since I have seen a character portrayed in a film so well I cant think of another actress that could pull it off as well as she did.
post #8 of 226 Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
have read a couple highly favorable reviews so very much looking forward to this

without spoiling, I had a good chuckle over this films enticingly succinct introductory statement. Russell is one of my favorite directors out there currently and he has the unique ability to draw out outstanding performances from his cast.

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 226 Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ahhhh, I had read this was based on a "true story," or something to that effect, but couldn't find out exactly what.
Thanx for the info.

From what I have read, the "true story" aspect of American Hustle is far less prominent that the "based on" part but, then, what else is new? I think one of the film's titles says something to the effect of, "Part of it is even true." smile.gif

Quote:
Ms. Lawrence is VERY impressive.

I was surprised by how entertaining I found Silver Linings Playbook to be. A story that on the surface was a downer, and kind of an ugly downer at that, turned out to be sweet and optimistic, thanks to David O. Russell's brilliant direction, his wonderful screenplay, and the luminous performances by its outstanding ensemble cast. Russell and his stars made me fall in love with those people, warts and all.
post #10 of 226 Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If Jennifer Lawrence's part in American Hustle is a "small part," it's only because Bale, Adams and Cooper had large parts in comparison. Lawrence had more screen time than I was led to believe, and did a great job, as did the others. You'll have fun at the movies when you see it.
post #11 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

unfortunately there are some patent flaws with this film involving the writing, pacing,
and storytelling.

there is also a lot to appreciate. the performances are amazing. the actors beguiling.
characters torn with moral complexity

there is much for cinemaphiles to savor and contemplate

a really different kind of film with an astounding ensemble performance

neflixis our nemesis
post #12 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

unfortunately there are some patent flaws with this film involving the writing, pacing,
and storytelling.

there is also a lot to appreciate. the performances are amazing. the actors beguiling.
characters torn with moral complexity

there is much for cinemaphiles to savor and contemplate

a really different kind of film with an astounding ensemble performance

Agree with that. I liked it more than I thought I would. I wonder how Russell would have directed this movie if he'd never seen a Martin Scorsese movie. I do wish the tick...tick...tick time-bomb character played by Lawrence had as big a pay-off as the set up suggested.
post #13 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #14 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

If Jennifer Lawrence's part in American Hustle is a "small part," it's only because Bale, Adams and Cooper had large parts in comparison. Lawrence had more screen time than I was led to believe, and did a great job, as did the others. You'll have fun at the movies when you see it.

Really looking forward to seeing American Hustle. Hope to do that tomorrow.
post #15 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really looking forward to seeing American Hustle. Hope to do that tomorrow.

go!

I can't wait to see what you think

neflixis our nemesis
post #16 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

go!

I can't wait to see what you think

Have entered a reminder in my calendar program so if the creek don't rise and we avoid another ice storm. I will likely go. If I do, I'll report my opinions here.
post #17 of 226 Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Just got back from this, it'll probably be a couple days before I get a real handle on what I think of it. I did like it a lot. That sounds contradictory but I'm not sure yet if what I saw was a great movie or greater performances by a great cast. Gotta let it sink in.
post #18 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Just got back from this, it'll probably be a couple days before I get a real handle on what I think of it. I did like it a lot. That sounds contradictory but I'm not sure yet if what I saw was a great movie or greater performances by a great cast. Gotta let it sink in.

You might consider seeing it a second time.
post #19 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a feeling that I'll see it more than one more time although I'll wait for the BD. This is the first movie I've seen at the theater for a couple years. There just hasn't be much lately that called my name like this one. Luckily, from the previews they showed, it looks like we may have a nice run of adult themed movies coming up.
post #20 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a feeling that I'll see it more than one more time although I'll wait for the BD. This is the first movie I've seen at the theater for a couple years. There just hasn't be much lately that called my name like this one. Luckily, from the previews they showed, it looks like we may have a nice run of adult themed movies coming up.

Three that come to mind are: Blue is the Warmest Color, The Dallas Buyer's Club, and Philomena. All of which have no action, super special effects sequences.
post #21 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Three that come to mind are: Blue is the Warmest Color, The Dallas Buyer's Club, and Philomena. All of which have no action, super special effects sequences.

I think the previews were, Wolf of Wall Street, Monuments Men, Her, Lone Survivor, and a couple others. Seriously almost a half hour of previews, but I didn't mind too much. The popcorn was actually good and much to my surprise it came in a bucket! I may actually go more often.
post #22 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the previews were, Wolf of Wall Street, Monuments Men, Her, Lone Survivor, and a couple others. Seriously almost a half hour of previews, but I didn't mind too much. The popcorn was actually good and much to my surprise it came in a bucket! I may actually go more often.

I only listed the movies that I have seen, but I have seen Her but forgot about it. Simply an amazing performance by Scarlett Johansson.
post #23 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well said.

this was exactly my take after i saw it friday nite.

couldn't really put any thoughts together about the film for a while.

it does make you think and is different than most other films i've recently seen

neflixis our nemesis
post #24 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that a re-viewing of American Hustle would be rewarding, although I loved every frame the first time through. I cannot say enough about its sensational ensemble cast. The characters were all deeply flawed but I couldn't take my eyes off of them and fell in love with some.

Jennifer Lawrence made me sometimes want to shake some sense into her and at others comfort the sad, neurotic, and confused girl she was.

Amy Adams as a cynical con woman gave one of her typically great performance, her best since her Oscar nominated turn in Russell's earlier, The Fighter. Although Adams is approaching 40 she is just as beautiful and sexy as ever.

Also as usual, Christian Bale was terrific as Adams' con man lover. Who would have thought that Bale could have pulled off playing a poorly conditioned Jewish hustler with a hairpiece and a comb over but he did it.

Finally, Bradley Cooper gets better and better. He blew me away as a sleazy FBI agent. He was a guy whose ambition outstripped his talent but couldn't see it. He also made the mistake of thinking with his little head. I finally ended up (almost) feeling sorry for him.smile.gif

I will be buying the BD of this one. 10 Stars out of 10.
post #25 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.............I will be buying the BD of this one. 10 Stars out of 10.

Pre-order now available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMV8LIO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #26 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pre-order now available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMV8LIO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, but I will probably wait a while for the price to come down before I buy the BD. I have learned how to be patient where my BD buying is concerned. For example, I have not yet bought the BD of Russell's equally wonderful Silver Linings Playbook. I guess I am like the old Jack Benny skit in which a desperate gunman says, "Your money or your life!" After a second or two of silence Jack says, "I'm thinking, I'm thinking." smile.gif
Tack likes this.
post #27 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree that a re-viewing of American Hustle would be rewarding, although I loved every frame the first time through. I cannot say enough about its sensational ensemble cast. The characters were all deeply flawed but I couldn't take my eyes off of them and fell in love with some.

Jennifer Lawrence made me sometimes want to shake some sense into her and at others comfort the sad, neurotic, and confused girl she was.

Amy Adams as a cynical con woman gave one of her typically great performance, her best since her Oscar nominated turn in Russell's earlier, The Fighter. Although Adams is approaching 40 she is just as beautiful and sexy as ever.

Also as usual, Christian Bale was terrific as Adams' con man lover. Who would have thought that Bale could have pulled off playing a poorly conditioned Jewish hustler with a hairpiece and a comb over but he did it.

Finally, Bradley Cooper gets better and better. He blew me away as a sleazy FBI agent. He was a guy whose ambition outstripped his talent but couldn't see it. He also made the mistake of thinking with his little head. I finally ended up (almost) feeling sorry for him.smile.gif

I will be buying the BD of this one. 10 Stars out of 10.

the imperfect storyline and drawn out pacing keeps me from giving this a 10, but what a terrific cast performance
cooper is stunningly good but will get overlooked due to the others

you couldn't do a better job in this role than bale does, superb
and i actually think adams' performance trumps lawrence's

neflixis our nemesis
post #28 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing in this movie that I thought was really well done was Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the way it conveyed such a palpable sense of fear when the mob was mentioned to be horning in on the deal. Bales performance concerning Deniro's character felt so real to me. I mean, I was scared of those guys.
post #29 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the imperfect storyline and drawn out pacing keeps me from giving this a 10, but what a terrific cast performance
cooper is stunningly good but will get overlooked due to the others

you couldn't do a better job in this role than bale does, superb
and i actually think adams' performance trumps lawrence's

I feel almost exactly the same way. Amy Adams part in the movie was much more difficult than J. Lawrence's. She really pulled it off. That's not to take anything away from Lawrence, she nailed it too, but Adams part called for an almost impossible amount of nuance. She had the one role IMO that could have sank the movie if she hacked it.
post #30 of 226 Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I feel almost exactly the same way. Amy Adams part in the movie was much more difficult than J. Lawrence's. She really pulled it off. That's not to take anything away from Lawrence, she nailed it too, but Adams part called for an almost impossible amount of nuance. She had the one role IMO that could have sank the movie if she hacked it.

Amen and amen! The linchpin of this film was Adams' Sydney. The role required an actress who was a certain age, projected intelligent but sad experience, but who's appeal, spunk, and savvy made us believe that she would come out all right. Somebody tell me an actress who could have done as well? Maybe Meryl Streep 25 years ago but there's nobody now I can think of off hand.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page