Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
With some of Pixar's latest releases IE Cars 2, MU, and Brave I am going to have to say I was a bit disappointed in pixar. On the other hand I did enjoy the DreamWork releases lately

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 22 Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 741
This is tough for me easy for my kid. As a parent of a 2 year old some of the Pixar flicks get heavy rotation and some of the Disney stuff gets ejected. Barely any Dreamworks gets her facetime. I, myself, like several of their movies.

Her favorite Pixar movies are Nemo, Monsters Inc, and Brave. Only recently has she expressed interest in Up (once the bird showed up). On the Disney side Tangled is top choice. We round out the rest with several Ghibli films.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #4 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

This is tough for me easy for my kid. As a parent of a 2 year old some of the Pixar flicks get heavy rotation and some of the Disney stuff gets ejected. Barely any Dreamworks gets her facetime. I, myself, like several of their movies.

Her favorite Pixar movies are Nemo, Monsters Inc, and Brave. Only recently has she expressed interest in Up (once the bird showed up). On the Disney side Tangled is top choice. We round out the rest with several Ghibli films.

Your little girl has good taste, I think. I love Nemo and Monsters Inc. In fact, I think both are classics. See if you can convince her to watch Up too. I loved it and have seen it several times. I recently watched Brave, which my daughter had bought on BD, and was surprised how much I liked it. It's not in a class with the other three (What is?) but it's an excellent film nevertheless.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I voted Pixar simply out of love for Ratatouille, Walle, UP and the Incredibles. The tide has turned the last few years though where I have enjoyed HTTYD, Monsters Vs Aliens, Megamind, Kunfu Panda and even Rise of the Gaurdians and Puss N Boots over Cars 2, TS3, Brave, Monsters 2. Granted, this years Turbo and The Croods were not great for me though my 8 year old enjoyed them. It is not the slam dunk it was a few years ago when Toy Story 3 won the animated academy award over the much more deserving HTTYD merely on Pixar reputation over Dreamworks at that time.

It's all good though and HOPEFULLY a little competition will motivate Pixar to get back to creating truly wonderful movies. Although both companies were blown away by Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me 2 this year that out did Monsters Inc by almost 100 million at domestic box office. Box office is not everything, but that is a substantial number further showing Pixar is not as dominant as they once were.
darthrsg likes this.

post #6 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Who did the Owl movie? It was cool.

post #7 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 06:40 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I call my daughter Eglantine and she calls me Da.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #8 of 22 Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I love my Pixar films I enjoy them all. My vote definitely for Pixar.

Frank

post #9 of 22 Old 12-26-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Directed by Zach Snyder but the real star, imo, was the animation design people, Animal Logic, based out of Australia. Same company that did Happy Feet visuals.

RANGO visuals kind of reminded of your owl movie, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, but were done by a different company. ILM's first full length animation feature and were amazing visuals, like Ga-hoole's. Stupid name and did not do well at the box office. Is interesting, to me anyways smile.gif, the amount of kid's, big budget movies that have really died at the box office lately. Ga'hoole, Rise of the Guardians, Mars needs Mom's etc. But when you watch them at home with your kids, they are pretty fun. My 8 year old LOVED rise of the Guardians.

post #10 of 22 Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Directed by Zach Snyder but the real star, imo, was the animation design people, Animal Logic, based out of Australia. Same company that did Happy Feet visuals.

RANGO visuals kind of reminded of your owl movie, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, but were done by a different company. ILM's first full length animation feature and were amazing visuals, like Ga-hoole's. Stupid name and did not do well at the box office. Is interesting, to me anyways smile.gif, the amount of kid's, big budget movies that have really died at the box office lately. Ga'hoole, Rise of the Guardians, Mars needs Mom's etc. But when you watch them at home with your kids, they are pretty fun. My 8 year old LOVED rise of the Guardians.

That's it. I thought it was pretty cool.

It's almost like those movies are made by a machine and just getting cranked out.

post #11 of 22 Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Old thread but I just realized Pixar does not have a movie this year.

post #12 of 22 Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Pixar should make a live action movie for a change.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #13 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dreamworks because its new releases are better than Pixar including delivery man and need for speed.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinavilchik View Post
Dreamworks because its new releases are better than Pixar including delivery man and need for speed.
I thought this thread was about animation...
post #15 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I thought this thread was about animation...
I thought so too.

Frank

post #16 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Pixar should make a live action movie for a change.
I think they kinda, sorta tried that with Andrew Stanton as director for John Carter. Even though it was Disney, Stanton had previously directed Pixar's Bug's Life, Finding Nemo and Walle...At least he knew his target audience with those. I have no clue what demo was interested in JC? 50 - 80 year olds that had read the book as children?

post #17 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
EDIT: Nvm. Didn't see you mention John Carter for whatever reason. Blame it on dem Atmos threads stealing all my attention.

CG animated features still require a director.

I meant an actual live action movie.

C'mon Pixar! Step up your game, son!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 08-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I have no clue what demo was interested in JC? 50 - 80 year olds that had read the book as children?
I had never read the book, didn't know anything about the story and was never really interested in the movie in the first place...until I saw it. It was destroyed by critics and people never showed up in theaters, thanks in part to an awful marketing campaign. But it was a well above average adventure. That's a blind buy I'll never regret. I've read here and there that the movie found a new life since it came out on dvd/blu - give it a try when you have chance you might like it.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had never read the book, didn't know anything about the story and was never really interested in the movie in the first place...until I saw it. It was destroyed by critics and people never showed up in theaters, thanks in part to an awful marketing campaign. But it was a well above average adventure. That's a blind buy I'll never regret. I've read here and there that the movie found a new life since it came out on dvd/blu - give it a try when you have chance you might like it.
Oh I have seen it.
I may be the only demographic that cared about it before hand, having read it as a kid.

It's not a bad movie. And I don't think it was unfaithful to the book. I liked a lot about it, some of the characters, production values, kick butt princess...
I wanted to like it, but it was off somehow for me. Tone, Taylor, direction, something?

That said, I remember the marketing/tv spots and I don't know that it misrepresented the movie THAT much, or was it just lack of marketing? I do remember ads for it and, at the time, it just seemed cartoonish and the romance angle seemed old or played? But that pretty much WAS the movie.

I suppose my main point is I feel they squandered a lot of money and good talent(Stanton/production) on a product that did not have a clear purpose and was doomed. Money that could have gone to making a great movie, or five great ones, with a better beginning idea or vision for the piece. As good as Stanton is, for some reason he did not get the best out of the JC property, or maybe he did?

But, at the end of the day, it is up to US to enjoy the movie.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I like John Carter, I thought it was really good film. Shame there won't be a sequel.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I think they kinda, sorta tried that with Andrew Stanton as director for John Carter. Even though it was Disney, Stanton had previously directed Pixar's Bug's Life, Finding Nemo and Walle...At least he knew his target audience with those. I have no clue what demo was interested in JC? 50 - 80 year olds that had read the book as children?
Yeah old stories like Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Red Riding Hood, Gulliver's Travels, Robin Hood, Camelot, Robinson Crusoe, etc. Like no studio ever makes a production out of old stories anymore...
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I feel like the Pixar movies had more heart compared to the Dreamworks movies. Although Croods actually surprised me when I saw it.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page