Prisoners - Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard, Maria Bello, Paul Dano - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Prisoners - Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard, Maria Bello, Paul Dano
iamian's Avatar iamian 07:57 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It isn't a "big deal."
It's still a good ending.
My point was I think it could have been even better.wink.gif

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were making it a big deal. But read the interview with the director, who said he wanted the ending "ambiguous". I suppose in this era, where everything has to be spelled out, this ending might qualify as "ambiguous" ;)

oink's Avatar oink 11:26 PM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were making it a big deal. But read the interview with the director, who said he wanted the ending "ambiguous". I suppose in this era, where everything has to be spelled out, this ending might qualify as "ambiguous" wink.gif

To be more precise....knowing the Director wanted his "ambiguous ending," I believe it could have MORE ambiguous, MORE dark, MORE twisted without feeling like B.S.

I, and others, mentioned some scenarios above that would have accomplished this.
As always, YMMV.wink.gif
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 12:41 PM 02-17-2014
The initial trailers looked average to me, so there was no rush to get my hands on it. Well, we finally watched it a few nights ago and frankly, its still on my mind now. My wife and I had a lengthy discussion afterwards trying to put all the pieces together......which is a great thing. Love movies like this, especially because they're few and far between. A few thoughts...........
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Is it me, or were there too many moments when Jake should've called for backup, but he decided to continue on his own? Not a big issue, but we were yelling at the screen a few times because it seemed like the logical thing to do.
The moment when Terrance Howard's daughter wakes up and says "you were there" to Hugh.....was absolutely chilling. Had us thinking that he was in on the whole thing simply because he stormed out alone and didn't tell the cops what he had just figured out. Upon entering the Jones' home a second time, you would think that he would of stuck a gun in her face immediately instead of giving her the opportunity to get the upper hand on him with his back turned.
With regard to the ending, we were initially disappointed with the lack of absolute closure, but honestly, it was obvious that Jake wouldn't have left without investigating the whistles. The part that was a little strange is that they had a large crew of men that had set up all that equipment around the home as they investigated the scene and that whole time, Hugh wasn't able to get anyone's attention with his whistle? Obviously, it makes for a better ending if Jake notices it alone, but just a little unrealistic.

With all that said, this movie was still a great success. A must see!
oink's Avatar oink 01:02 PM 02-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Is it me, or were there too many moments when Jake should've called for backup, but he decided to continue on his own? Not a big issue, but we were yelling at the screen a few times because it seemed like the logical thing to do.
He was getting a lot of flack at the Dept. about the investigation and he might have wanted to keep it on the down low.

Quote:
The moment when Terrance Howard's daughter wakes up and says "you were there" to Hugh.....was absolutely chilling. Had us thinking that he was in on the whole thing simply because he stormed out alone and didn't tell the cops what he had just figured out. Upon entering the Jones' home a second time, you would think that he would of stuck a gun in her face immediately instead of giving her the opportunity to get the upper hand on him with his back turned.
At this point, he thought the cops were completely and absolutely worthless and couldn't help him in his search.

He wasn't quite sure what the situation was inside the house and wanted to nose around a bit until he was.

Quote:
With regard to the ending, we were initially disappointed with the lack of absolute closure, but honestly, it was obvious that Jake wouldn't have left without investigating the whistles. The part that was a little strange is that they had a large crew of men that had set up all that equipment around the home as they investigated the scene and that whole time, Hugh wasn't able to get anyone's attention with his whistle? Obviously, it makes for a better ending if Jake notices it alone, but just a little unrealistic.
IIRC, Jake knew the source of the sound was from Hugh.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 07:43 AM 03-12-2014
I won't post the content of this article here but I really think it's a great piece on this movie and worth a read. I felt it added a few layers without reaching too much.
greenjp's Avatar greenjp 10:16 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I won't post the content of this article here but I really think it's a great piece on this movie and worth a read. I felt it added a few layers without reaching too much.
Agreed, thanks for posting it. Excellent insight on the film though I do not agree with the author's suggested overarching conspiracy.

jeff
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:20 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Agreed, thanks for posting it. Excellent insight on the film though I do not agree with the author's suggested overarching conspiracy.

jeff

No doubt he is off in a far left field.
oink's Avatar oink 10:35 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Excellent insight on the film though I do not agree with the author's suggested overarching conspiracy.

jeff
Neither do I.
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 10:35 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:

No doubt he is off in a far left field.

After reading that article, I'd say he is in a far right field. tongue.gif
oink's Avatar oink 10:36 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

That too.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:39 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:

Well he's way away from most, let's say that. I do enjoy reading that symbolism stuff.
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 11:56 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:

Well he's way away from most, let's say that. I do enjoy reading that symbolism stuff.
If you enjoy reading about the kind of symbolism mentioned in that article, you may be interested in reading the modern day "Illuminate guru," David Icke's books. He came before Alex Jones and everyone else that you might be familiar with. I read his books years ago and it made for some fascinating reading. Since then I view conspiracies in a different light. Some of them are so utterly ridiculous they make you wonder about the mental stability of the people who believe in them.

It really is funny to hear practically everyone talk about how inept our government is. But you have a small faction of those same people who are ardent believers in government conspiracies. So, on the one hand you have a government that can't get anything right, and on the other, they and other worldly governments are masters at controlling the world with their New World Order. The government has months to get the ACA web site up and running, and fail miserably. Yet that same government is manipulating the world and its people without a hitch. Go figure. smile.gif

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:28 PM 03-12-2014
Quote:

If you enjoy reading about the kind of symbolism mentioned in that article, you may be interested in reading the modern day "Illuminate guru," [url=http://www.davidicke.com/ [David Icke's[/url] books. He came before Alex Jones and everyone else that you might be familiar with. I read his books years ago and it made for some fascinating reading. Since then I view conspiracies in a different light. Some of them are so utterly ridiculous they make you wonder about the mental stability of the people who believe in them.

It really is funny to hear practically everyone talk about how inept our government is. But you have a small faction of those same people who are ardent believers in government conspiracies. So, on the one hand you have a government that can't get anything right, and on the other, they and other worldly governments are masters at controlling the world with their New World Order. The government has months to get the ACA web site up and running, and fail miserably. But that same government is manipulating the world and its people without a hitch. Go figure. smile.gif

Heard of him but never read his books and you have a point, I side with, on the manipulating of the world. I work for a local municipality and it's wonder anything gets done at all and there is no time to plot nefarious deeds. That's not to say there are not nefarious people in some power seats.
oink's Avatar oink 01:15 PM 03-12-2014
Quote:

That's not to say there are not nefarious people in some power seats.
Hmmmm....sounds like something I e-mailed....tongue.gif
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop