AVS Forum banner

Wolf Children aka The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

657 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  LineWalker 
#1 ·
 Wolf Children is a film as good as some of the better Studio Ghibli releases and I say that with strong intent. It's a strong film all around. I have yet to see any Disney animated feature get close to this level. This is on the same emotional level as Up from Pixar but exceeds it in nearly all aspects. If you're familiar with Ghibli films like Totoro, From Up On Poppy Hill, and Spirited Away you'll have an idea what to expect but will be glad it isn't what to expect.

It's a slice of life tale sprinkled with the right amount of Japanese melodrama about a widowed mother raising two children who happen to be wolves. Think werewolves but not the Gothic style. She moves them to the country to allow them room to roam and sets out to raise them as best she can. It's full of fantastic scenery on par with Arrietty and loads of caring family moments. The strong female lead portrayed here is a great positive in regards to what movies we show our child. This is a welcome addition to my library and I can't wait for my daughter to see it. Great family fare is hard to come by and I highly doubt any content presented here is objectionable. There are realistic moments presented in their not so glorious detail and others, while fantastic, are necessary for the story. What would you expect with brother and sister wolves testing their boundaries from infants to teenagers? This film covers a couple of decades and the time passes beautifully through detailed seasons and great story telling. If you like a quality animated movie that's fit for the entire family you can't really go wrong here.

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually saw this premiered in the MIT screening room last March, and I found it quite fascinating. Lots of discussion with director Mamoru Hosoda afterward (plus autographs
). Haven't gotten it yet, but I might just pick this up if they have it at the Dealers' Room at Anime Boston this year.

Reactions: darthrsg
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker  /t/1512519/wolf-children-aka-the-wolf-children-ame-and-yuki#post_24227460

I actually saw this premiered in the MIT screening room last March, and I found it quite fascinating. Lots of discussion with director Mamoru Hosoda afterward (plus autographs
). Haven't gotten it yet, but I might just pick this up if they have it at the Dealers' Room at Anime Boston this year.

I'm watching again tonight with my kid. It's so good and the leads are mostly female so I can say they are princesses.

#6 ·
Ordered! Looking forward to this one

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin  /t/1512519/wolf-children-aka-the-wolf-children-ame-and-yuki#post_24270888

I'll have to look into this one, thanks

7 viewings in a week. The kid loves it and the soundtrack is pretty amazing. It has this building up quality that explodes in a few scenes causing my child to howl along with the kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.