post #151 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
That is impressive and like you said the film is becoming the biggest surprise hit of the year. While I don't think it's the be-all end-all of entertainment like some critics suggest, it's still very a good "action/adventure in outer space"...
Well, this movie has a lot of draw appeal from casting alone, including Diesel and Cooper (even though you can't see them). Add to that some of the supporting cast names like Glenn Close and John C Reilly and it becomes unlike any other superhero flick out there. Heck, not many movies period have a cast like that. On top of that, throw in a crazy raccoon and a talking tree and you're gonna draw more kids than you normally would. When I went to see it there were more kids than I'd ever seen at any superhero movie. So the projected weekend numbers aren't a complete surprise to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

A side thought that I wanted to put out there...Drones are becoming all the rage. Martha Stewart even has one. Even thought I wanted one until the prison scene in GotG. I see the future and it ain't pretty.
post #153 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Anybody who was bored during Gravity, which is a nearly non-stop thrill ride from start to finish, is probably bored when an F-5 twister rolls through their back yard. The poor dears suffer from an adrenaline deficiency.

There's probably a very expensive pharmaceutical product to help with that. Check your evening network newscast.
post #154 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
I'm in total agreement about Cap2 being tops this year Morph but obviously I skew a bit more to the positive of GotG. I still say you really have to dismiss all typical Marvel expectations before seeing this one. And in fact I kind of feel it's almost apples to oranges to compare this movie to the other Marvel staples.
This. Nothing about the trailers suggests this has Capt A or Avengers greatness (if one liked those); it just looks like a fun ride.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #155 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
I don't think Gravity was meant to please anybody. Critics don't have anything to do with its success and how much people enjoyed it.
Certainly not trying to argue, but I disagree so strongly with this that I just had to reply. And I'm feeling chatty this morning...

People are sheep, whether they want to admit it or not. Stellar reviews from critics are going to implant preconceived notions that will, in turn, alter the way they take the film. I have zero doubt that if Gravity got a 33% rating on RT that it wouldn't be a big deal with anyone here who saw it. And I'm not just picking on Gravity. This goes for any film. There's many times people like them because they think they're supposed to. This, however, doesn't account for the people out there who genuinely enjoy a particular film regardless of what anyone else thought. But the majority do as they're told. Just like everything else in life that they think they're doing of their own free will.

EDIT: For the record, I liked Gravity. But not nearly as much as most did. No desire to rewatch or buy, which is usually a good barometer for how much I enjoy a movie.

EDIT 2: If Transformers 4 got a 90% rating on RT most people would think it was best one ever after they saw it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Last edited by sb1; 08-02-2014 at 08:03 AM.
post #156 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Certainly not trying to argue, but I disagree so strongly with this that I just had to reply. And I'm feeling chatty this morning...

People are sheep, whether they want to admit it or not. Stellar reviews from critics are going to implant preconceived notions that will, in turn, alter the way they take the film. I have zero doubt that if Gravity got a 33% rating on RT that it wouldn't be a big deal with anyone here who saw it. And I'm not just picking on Gravity. This goes for any film. There's many times people like them because they think they're supposed to. This, however, doesn't account for the people out there who genuinely enjoy a particular film regardless of what anyone else thought. But the majority do as they're told. Just like everything else in life that they think they're doing of their own free will.

EDIT: For the record, I liked Gravity. But not nearly as much as most did. No desire to rewatch or buy, which is usually a good barometer for how much I enjoy a movie.
I couldn't disagree more. Because I spend a lot of time on this forum and other similar places on the internets, I'm pretty up-to-speed on the critical reaction to a film whether I see it immediately in the theater (as I did Gravity - twice), or wait a year or two and watch it at home. Once the credits roll, however, I forget all about that and the movie then has to stand or fall on its own merits. I would have loved Gravity just as much even if the RT favorable score was 10%. That movie pushed all the right buttons for me.

I'm sure I'm not alone. To insist that the majority allow other people's impressions to influence their own does a disservice to people like me who really don't care what anyone else thinks. I know you qualified that by disqualifying people like me, but I prefer to think I'm in the majority, not the minority.

Now, that said, and because time is precious and limited, I often use critical reviews to "cull the herd" in terms of picking which films will be included in my entertainment options. That's what I use them for. But once the title sequence rolls, I forget all that and immerse myself in what's in front of me.
post #157 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I know you qualified that by disqualifying people like me, but I prefer to think I'm in the majority, not the minority.
No. You're not the majority. You peruse this forum and others similar. We represent a fraction of a fraction of the general movie going public.

Stephen.

post #158 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Movie was fun and has great comedy throughout. I liked it better than Avengers. Don't waste your time for the after credits scene.

PSN ID: javant86

post #159 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

But that doesn't change invanpino's point imo - Gravity wasn't "meant to" please anybody. The fact that it did and its commercial success had little to do with how the film was made and conceived. It could have been a flop, like Moon (both share a few similarities at least in the concept - taking place "in space", a single character), which has a 89% RT rating (granted Marvel's marketing campaign is on another level as well). Something obviously connected with audiences (and critics) in the case of Gravity, and apparently the same phenomenon is happening with Guardians Of The Galaxy. My opinion on GOTG has nothing to do with critics, it's kind of a mess but I still enjoyed it. I guess audiences like it because it's a blockbuster (mostly) well done, good escapism and all, but I still don't think it deserves a 92% rating. OTOH John Carter is also well done and a much better movie than reviews suggested (imo), but nobody cared. Deathly Hallows Part 2 is at 96% and that is also beyond my comprehension - David Lynch's The Straight Story too, and it made 6 million... I just think people like to be entertained in the summer season, and GOTG is an entertaining, well made ride. And I'll also guess that had GOTG been produced by a different studio than Marvel, it wouldn't be doing nearly 100 million this weekend. Marvel is having an incredible run with its various "cinematic universes", and its name alone warrants a certain level of quality and a certain success for audiences.

As for Transformers, they are critic proof anyway

Last edited by Morpheo; 08-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #160 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
It could have been a flop, like Moon (both share a few similarities at least in the concept - taking place "in space", a single character)
Moon - Sam who? (I did buy that film, by the way).

Gravity - Sandra Bullock? "Oh, you mean Sandy is in this one?!"

America's current sweetheart. And my God parts of The Blindside were so far removed from reality it was comical. But everyone loves Sandy. She's just been through so much, you know...

This really has nothing to do with what I was saying above. I'm just pondering over the factors that make people like a particular film. I suppose I lack imagination and empathy.

Stephen.

post #161 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

EDIT 2: If Transformers 4 got a 90% rating on RT most people would think it was best one ever after they saw it.
Your logic makes no sense at all.

If transformers got 0% people would still go see it and love it. This doesn't mean its a great film, but in order to reach a billion dollars it must have a whole lot of people that really like it not matter what anyone thinks.

The majority of people who go to the movies could care less what the rotten tomato rating is, as a matter of fact I would bet that more that 50% percent of the people who go to the movies don't even know what rottontomatoes is.

Gravity got the attention and good reviews because it deserved it, not because of rotten tomatoes.

There are many movies on Rotten Tomatos that are in the 95-100% that are ignored and go unnoticed by the general public.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Last edited by ivanpino; 08-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.
post #162 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Worth a 10.30 pm viewing

Watched it with the kids last night and we all enjoyed it. Personally I'd give it a 7/10 and Rocket the raccoon was the show stealer without a doubt. And the "plan" was an absolute thrill ride that I want to watch again..I definitely enjoyed the Avengers more than this but this is a slightly different genre more action- comedy with emphasis on comedy.
post #163 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
This thread has generated a lot of interesting comments about Gravity, The Avengers, and Moon. Rather than respond to those individual posts, I'll make a few comments about each film here.

When my daughter and I saw Gravity on the day it was released we agreed that it was the most thrilling experience either of us could remember having had in a theater. I think Gravity's similarities to Guardians of the Galaxy are minimal, though. Gravity is a brilliantly designed and filmed space opera that manages to tell an incredibly imaginative and intriguing story. Guardians, though, is a comic book super hero fantasy, with some sly twists. I guess the films have space in common but I can't think of much else.

This morning Marc Wielage posted complimentary comments about The Avengers with which I agree entirely. He gave Kevin Feige credit for the film's delightful combination of humor and sweetness. My feeling, though, is that the most important laboring oar behind the wonderful film was Joss Whedon, who both directed and cowrote the screenplay. I have been a Whedon-head since his Buffy days and think he is a master at telling stories, which can both make us laugh and move us. To date, anyway, The Avengers is his Pièce de résistance. I hope he manages to outdo himself somewhere along the line. This is not to underestimate Feige, who has proved himself to be a master at putting together entertaining films from the Marvelverse.

Finally, the quiet low budget Moon is one of my favorite films. I rewatched my BD the other night and found more to love than I knew was there, despite having seen the film on multiple earlier occasions. Moon is very, very smart.
post #164 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Dear Marvel,

Stop wasting your time and money on horse poop Avengers and Tony Stark. Make more Guardians now. Also put a kiosk by the theater exit and sell me the bluray for 50 bucks American as I exit.

Sincerely,

People who like to go to fun movies
Scott Simonian and GoCaboNow like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #165 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Movie was fun and has great comedy throughout. I liked it better than Avengers. Don't waste your time for the after credits scene.
Spoiler!
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #166 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Spoiler!
Lol!

I often laugh reading your posts darth and these last two are no exception However I disagree about the Avengers and Tony Stark part
darthrsg likes this.
post #167 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Dear Marvel,

Stop wasting your time and money on horse poop Avengers and Tony Stark. Make more Guardians now. Also put a kiosk by the theater exit and sell me the bluray for 50 bucks American as I exit.

Sincerely,

People who like to go to fun movies
50 bucks!? What, is 49.99 too low?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #168 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
50 bucks!? What, is 49.99 too low?
Theater operators gotta eat too.
rezzy likes this.

post #169 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
If Transformers 4 got a 90% rating on RT most people would think it was best one ever after they saw it.
Transformers only got 18% from critics and 55% from audiences, which ain't great. I tend to believe Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic to a point, but I rely more on critics I trust, particularly at Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety. All of these sources gave Guardians surprisingly high marks.

Anybody see how some Regal Theaters accidentally showed the two-year old Rise of the Guardians rather than Guardians of the Galaxy? This is what happens when you get some bonehead Deluxe technician sleepily copying off the wrong file and shipping out the drive without checking it first.

http://www.eonline.com/news/565592/t...cue-the-tweets
post #170 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Although both are very similar on paper, GOTG & The Watchmen are like apple-oranges one is more geared towards comedy/fun the latter having a serious/dark tone. So I won't ask which is better but can only hope GOTG can offer me the same or more entertainment I will be more than happy & most grateful.
post #171 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

For those who have seen the film and/or are interested, here's a little further insight to the post credit scene.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/news/gua...040049825.html
post #172 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Although both are very similar on paper, GOTG & The Watchmen are like apple-oranges one is more geared towards comedy/fun the latter having a serious/dark tone. So I won't ask which is better but can only hope GOTG can offer me the same or more entertainment I will be more than happy & most grateful.
You should be good to go.

post #173 of 324 Old 08-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
This morning Marc Wielage posted complimentary comments about The Avengers with which I agree entirely. He gave Kevin Feige credit for the film's delightful combination of humor and sweetness. My feeling, though, is that the most important laboring oar behind the wonderful film was Joss Whedon, who both directed and cowrote the screenplay.
No, I totally give the success of Avengers to Joss Whedon. Kevin Feige is merely the figurehead and the guy making the business decisions. I think he's smart enough to hire creative people like Whedon and let them do their thing. Whedon is a very bright guy and his character dialogue is second to none.

I gotta say, though, there were several other people in charge of Marvel before Feige took charge, and they ran the place into the ground. It's sobering to think just the last 9 or 10 Marvel movies have made north of $7 billion, which is an extraordinary run. People are already calling Marvel "the new Pixar," in that their movies are audience pleasers, make huge money, and also are (generally) getting great reviews. Quite a few industry wags predicted this would collapse with Guardians of the Galaxy, but clearly it did not.

It was clear to me that Disney & Marvel knew that Guardians was going to be a hit when they announced two weeks ago they were going into development on a sequel. But I suspect even they didn't know how big of a hit it was going to be.
post #174 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
For those who have seen the film and/or are interested, here's a little further insight to the post credit scene.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/news/gua...040049825.html
Spoiler!
post #175 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Was going to try to see this today but I'm afraid it's just too beautiful outside to not spend all day out there. Maybe next weekend.

So, does everyone agree that the post credits scene is not worth staying for?

Stephen.

post #176 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, does everyone agree that the post credits scene is not worth staying for?
You can indeed skip it...but if you do stay, well, brace yourself!
post #177 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Morph, in reply to your spoiler, I sincerely hope not either. Or at least just don't make it a relevant tie in to everything else.

And sb1, as it relates to the coda, it's sort of relevant to the schwarma scene after The Avengers in terms of overall relevance. However, it is sort of a reveal (I guess). Just not one you would expect and the bigger point being one you might be disappointed in.
post #178 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Another question. Safe for a fairly tough and balanced minded 10.5 year old? Should we not be able to find a babysitter. Language and sexual innuendos are always my main concern.

Stephen.

post #179 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Saw it this morning. Good, fun summer entertainment. I liked the comic bookiness of it. I also liked the 80s feel, what with the pop culture references and all.
post #180 of 324 Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another question. Safe for a fairly tough and balanced minded 10.5 year old? Should we not be able to find a babysitter. Language and sexual innuendos are always my main concern.
It's safe. Not even a side boob. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page