AVS Forum banner

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

17K views 329 replies 53 participants last post by  Kilgore 
#1 ·
Not sure what I think of this yet. Looks to be more of a comedy.

Meet the Guardians - Rocket, Groot, Star Lord, Gamora and Drax:

Official trailer:

See less See more
2 1
#217 ·
Going to watch this tonight. I've been excited for this one since it was announced. Here's hoping I like it as much as most of you do.

#219 · (Edited)
Just got home... What a ride! Is it the most sophisticated movie? No. Is it a blast? Absolutely! The characters gain definition as the movie progresses with out of this world personalities ranging from a sociopathic raccoon, to good natured lumber, to a revenge filled beast, to an assassin with "daddy issues", to a somewhat bumbling, intergalactic outlaw, with a deep fondness for 70's-80's hits... Phew... That was a mouthful. Great casting to fill these unique roles. You never got the feeling that anyone among the cast was dragging behind the rest.

I enjoyed the combination of witty and crude humor. Even if it leaned more towards the crude, the overall effect was funny. James Gunn had a pretty good vision for what he wanted the movie to be and he gave the audience a great introduction to the galactic side of Marvel, outside of Asgard.

The action was a lot of fun, but the sound design and post mix was a tad messy. Maybe it was the Atmos theatre with its new speakers that were harsh, but during a lot of the action, the overall feeling was tiring on my ears. Pretty good cinematography, even during the mayhem, where I had no trouble keeping up with what was going on. The CGI was seamless, especially for the foul-mouthed Rocket Racoon, who they managed to blend perfectly into the movie. On the 3D front, I enjoyed it for the most part. There were a lot of scenes that could have benefited from added depth, but it wasn't a bad experience. Not as good a conversion as Star Trek: Into Darkness, but definitely not a disgrace like Clash Of The Titans.

I can't wait for this wonderfully zany group of misfits to team up with The Avengers in The Avengers 3 (my guess, no official confirmation). Should be a good clash of egos and solid partnerships to take on Thanos when he shows up.

For those who have seen it:

It was great to see more of Thanos in this film, which means they'll be building on this to move forward. Sure they were just short glimpses, but you clearly get the idea that he's the supreme baddie that's going to wreak havoc in the not-to-distant future. Also, Josh Brolin fits him well. It was great for the audience to get a proper intro to the Infinity Stones. I don't read comics, but I've perused the internet enough to know how important they'll be for Thanos.

I'm really excited for what's to come for the last phase of Marvel's brilliant master plan!

Reactions: Waboman and gwsat
#220 ·
#222 ·
Just got back from taking the fam to this in IMAX 3D. What a trip! Groot is one bad mofo.:D I really liked it. Need to think about where I rank it in the MCU. Cap 2 is still my fave.

As of now this is my ranking:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3

Truth be told, I like them all.:nerd:

#225 ·
Someone said something like, "lower your expectations and you'll have a blast with this". I think that's a true statement, though I'd probably enjoy it a lot more at home. Perhaps lowering their expectations is what earned Disney a boat-load of cash with GotG. A good film if not a bit over-hyped.

#229 ·
^^^ Steven, I think you were drinking when you posted the above. ;)

I think you're absolutely correct about certain conceptions we perceive being influenced by the media and other blathering talking heads telling us what to think, politics chief among them.

Movies, not so much. At least for me. I pay no attention to the man behind the curtain; what's in front of it is all that matters. Every time.

#239 ·
Regarding my question about the marketing hype, I was quite indifferent about seeing it months ago. And even got a little annoyed by it when they ramped up the marketing to unbelievable levels. I can't imagine what they spent on that. But the main reason I went to see it opening day was because of my kids. Talk about marketing pressure! I basically took them so they'd be quiet about it.

That said, despite all the marketing (never paid close attention to the details anyway) I went in with no expectations one way or the other. And I think that helped me enjoy it more than I think I would have otherwise. And I think the baseline reason I was able to go in with that mindset was because I wanted to like the movie (even before all the marketing).

#240 ·
Saw it last night and my girlfriend and I both loved it. Very fun movie...perfect for a date night. We 'd both heard good things from friends, and of course the high RT rating, and it didn't disappoint. Several genuine laugh-out-loud moments, and we both left with big smiles on our faces. (We even chuckled at the after-credits scene.)

Loved, loved, loved the soundtrack, too.

8.5 out of 10. Had we watched it in 2D, may have given it a 9 out of 10, but the 3D was a big of a letdown.

Side-rant:
I think a lot of folks are misinterpreting RT scores. Just because a movie is in the over 90% range doesn't mean it's supposed to be the best movie ever. It just means the vast majority of reviews are favorable. A review that basically says "Overall, it was enjoyable. Not the best movie of the year by a long shot, but it was fun..." would count as a "fresh" tomato.
End of side-rant.

#247 ·
This is the first Marvel film where I didn't wait for after credits. You mean the duckmeister actually shows up? Everyone can blame me for that; never should've mentioned his name..
:eek:
The answer:
Yes, our favorite feathered fowl makes a cameo.

#253 ·
Oops. Strike that; reverse it. Will use a spoiler tag next time. I'm actually a credits-hound (whore), and know to hang around 'til the end, especially for Marvel films. SHE, however, is not and so we left after baby Groot's little dance scene.

@ Closet Geek: this had me at the first trailer. It didn't appear to be the typical Marvel film, (Rocket looked hilarious) so I knew I had to check it out. Overabundance of promotion had no effect on myself.

#261 ·
I'm in agreement that "he" made sense for this movie. I mean the whole thing was pretty much a trip ride anyway so why not? (Rhetorical). There were other things going on in the background (with the Collectors collections). So I'm wondering if aside from an opportunity to include an otherwise obscure and unrelatable character, "he" also served as a distraction from something else or someone else who may have been there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.