AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/)
-   -   Harold Ramis dies (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1519610-harold-ramis-dies.html)

oink 02-24-2014 11:52 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/02/24/harold-ramis-appreciation/5782249/

His contributions to comedy were many....he will be missed.

MediaFan63 02-24-2014 12:05 PM

Very sad, really talented guy. Rip

cbcdesign 02-24-2014 12:09 PM

Very Sad. He was a funny guy and made some great movies. Watched Groundhog day just a few weeks ago. RIP

Dbuudo07 02-24-2014 12:39 PM

Such a talented man. He will be missed.

Kilgore 02-24-2014 12:48 PM

One of the truly unsung heroes of comedy from the 70's onward. His importance is immeasurable. He lives in the land of Gozer the Gozerian now.

oink 02-24-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

One of the truly unsung heroes of comedy from the 70's onward. His importance is immeasurable. He lives in the land of Gozer the Gozerian now.
Well said.cool.gif

Will2007 02-24-2014 01:55 PM

Sorry to see him go. Very warm, very funny and talented man.

Tack 02-24-2014 03:05 PM

This is a big loss. A lot of people have no idea of how much funny that this guy contributed. I was surprised he was even 69 years old. Time flies. I was going to do something with "giant twinkie in the sky" here but just not feeling it. Very sad.

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghostbusters
SCTV
Meatballs
Animal House
National Lampoon's Vacation
Groundhog Day etc...


First ballot comedy hall of fame.

oink 02-24-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post


First ballot comedy hall of fame.
Absolutely.

He was one of the best....so many comedy classics that have become part of our culture.

I believe his movies will stand the test of time.

oink 02-24-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghostbusters
SCTV
Meatballs
Animal House
National Lampoon's Vacation
Groundhog Day etc...
BTW, thanx for reminding me of some of these.....
I went over to Amazon and loaded up on the reasonably priced BDs.wink.gif

GoCaboNow 02-24-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

This is a big loss. A lot of people have no idea of how much funny that this guy contributed. I was surprised he was even 69 years old. Time flies. I was going to do something with "giant twinkie in the sky" here but just not feeling it. Very sad.

Caddyshack
Stripes
Ghostbusters
SCTV
Meatballs
Animal House
National Lampoon's Vacation
Groundhog Day etc...


First ballot comedy hall of fame.

Some of my all time favorites. frown.gif

RIP.

oink 02-24-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Some of my all time favorites. frown.gif

RIP.
Amen, brother.....frown.gif

DaGamePimp 02-24-2014 03:44 PM

Damn, one of the greats and too soon.

Some of the best comedies of all time, thanks for the laughs Mr. Ramis.


Jason

mr. wally 02-24-2014 06:52 PM

The man defined comedy for an entire generation


I could shed a tear but the man still fills me with too many laughs for any sorrow

mtbdudex 02-25-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

One of the truly unsung heroes of comedy from the 70's onward. His importance is immeasurable. He lives in the land of Gozer the Gozerian now.

Yep - RIP Mr Ramis, in your honor we are watching Ghostbusters on blu-ray this weekend.

iamian 02-25-2014 09:39 AM

No one was funnier in our generation, truly a sad day :(


Waboman 02-25-2014 11:04 AM

So sad when I read this. He was involved with some of the biggest comedies of all time. Caddyshack and Stripes are in my top 5 comedies of all time. My buddies and I can go on all day quoting those movies. RIP, Mr. Ramis.

inspector 02-25-2014 05:54 PM

They sure like to throw the word "GENIUS' around a lot. That adjective was meant for Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, they were the "GENIUSES" of comedy...IMO.

Tack 02-25-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

They sure like to throw the word "GENIUS' around a lot. That adjective was meant for Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, they were the "GENIUSES" of comedy...IMO.

You may want to find a website that chronicles Ramis's portfolio. This guy wasn't just an actor. As a matter of fact, acting was probably his least memorable contribution, although quite good nonetheless. His vision for writing and directing are what set him apart. IMO.

Not trying to bust your balls here, but keep in mind that Charlie, Harold, and Buster were once the young bucks and probably compared in a less than favorable light to their predecessors.

Scott Simonian 02-25-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

They sure like to throw the word "GENIUS' around a lot. That adjective was meant for Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, they were the "GENIUSES" of comedy...IMO.

Nah, maybe just the first on film though.

mr. wally 02-25-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Nah, maybe just the first on film though.


nah, I'd say he qualifies for genius on at least a half dozen films

Groundhog Day is one of the best screenplays ever


FYI, IFC will be playing some Ramis films starting thursday morning

Scott Simonian 02-26-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

nah, I'd say he qualifies for genius on at least a half dozen films

Groundhog Day is one of the best screenplays ever


FYI, IFC will be playing some Ramis films starting thursday morning

Right. I agree.

My response up above when in response to ancient folk like Charlie Chaplin having exclusivity to the title of 'Genius'. I was saying Ramis belongs in a category that has 'Genius' in it's vocabulary.

Tack 02-26-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Right. I agree.

My response up above when in response to ancient folk like Charlie Chaplin having exclusivity to the title of 'Genius'. I was saying Ramis belongs in a category that has 'Genius' in it's vocabulary.


And you can just bet the previous generation of vaudeville or whatever comedians were like " This Chaplin hack is taking advantage of these newfangled moving picture thingys. That's not REAL humor. In MY day we knew REAL talent when we saw it!" Grnnnff.



darthrsg 02-27-2014 11:46 AM

Harold Ramis is Lead Software Designer for lots of the legacy code in my brain. Godspeed good sir.

jcmccorm 03-01-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Harold Ramis is Lead Software Designer for lots of the legacy code in my brain. Godspeed good sir.

That's about the best compliment we could give to a writer I would expect.

In my case, that statement is very true as well.

Cary

oink 03-01-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

That's about the best compliment we could give to a writer I would expect.

In my case, that statement is very true as well.

Cary
+100000000000

darthrsg 03-01-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

That's about the best compliment we could give to a writer I would expect.

In my case, that statement is very true as well.

Cary

Like John Hughes this one stings a bit. So much joy and so many lines to fit into daily life. I'll try to avoid being too sappy but I was raised by a single mom and had very little male leadership in my real life and movies filled the void honestly. As kids we would "play" Army and my brother and I would recite lines from Stripes right next to Full Metal Jacket as we abused our GI Joe action figures.

MediaFan63 03-01-2014 11:23 PM

How did you abuse them? Lol

oink 03-01-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'll try to avoid being too sappy but I was raised by a single mom and had very little male leadership in my real life and movies filled the void honestly..
I can see why you and I get along so well....wink.gif

Speaking of Hughes....
After news of the HR death this week, I went out and bought a bunch HR movies on BD and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Sat down to watch PT&A today.
I remembered when it was first released and how funny everyone thought it was.
Sadly, it doesn't hold up very well.

I watched the first hour and laughed once.

Part of the problem is Steve Martin.
He isn't a very good actor and his constant smirk is distracting as he!!.
It appears he was/is under the impression that simply showing up would illicit laughs (it doesn't).

In addition, the writing isn't there either.
As it turns out, I didn't pay much for it....so now harm, no foul (except I want my hour back).

oink 03-01-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

How did you abuse them? Lol
Oh, Oh, I can answer that!

1) Firecrackers
2) Campfires
3) Dad's power saw
4) Hammer and nails (if no nails are handy, the hammer will do)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.