Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

Matthew McConaughy has been doing some of the most impressive work in film today. Starting with The Lincoln Lawyer in 2011 he has piled on one film role after another where he has shined like never before. The guy has been fearless in his choice of roles. In 2012, Killer Joe, The Paperboy, Mud and Magic Mike and in 2013 - Dallas Buyers Club.

The wife and I watched this film last night and were blown away by his portrayal of AIDS patient Ron Woodroof. Jared Leto is outstanding in his part as Rayon, another AIDS patient. It's no small wonder these actors both won Academy Awards. Although there are significant differences between the real Woodroof and the one portrayed in the movie it is still an excellent character study.

Recommended. 9/10.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I also liked this movie quite a bit, I rate it an 8/10:

Dallas Buyers Club

In a wasteland of opportunity and standardized living, a mere urgent fight for survival can change our lives and lead us to do things we never dreamed of. This was the case of AIDS patient Ron Woodroof in real life. In his way he had to deal with homophobic bias, AIDS stigma, opposition from governmental institutions, legal obstacles, personal losses. A biographical drama that depicts the herculean hurdles he fought which ended up enriching him as a person. A story of survival and resistance that opens our eyes for some of the menacing quirks of society and capitalism and shows how things can be dealed with from another perspective. A great lesson.
Impecable acting from Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto which fill this movie with life and authenticity.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I liked Dallas Buyers Club a lot too, 8 Stars out of 10. As Mr.G noted, Matthew McConaughey's work in recent years has been stellar. He was my pick for the Best Actor Oscar and his win was gratifying. Jared Leto's Best Supporting Actor Oscar winning performance was equally wonderful. Despite the great performances by these two great actors, the film was so depressing to me, I have not yet been able to work up nerve to rent the BD and watch it again. I will do so but not yet, not yet.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just saw this in the the theater last week and I agree it's a very good film. Both deserved their Oscars but McConaughey's performance was startling considering his past work. Check out the doc How to Survive a Plague for even greater incite into the early days of AIDS and the social activism it inspired to step up the efforts to combat it. The Oscar-nominated documentary feature may be turned into a miniseries by ABC.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Wading thru my stack of unwatched BDs (don't ask), Ms. Oink tossed this into the Oppo tonite.

For some reason, I had forgotten the thumbnail of the plot and wasn't too sure what to expect.
Well, I have to say the wait was worth it.

MM & JL have received rave notices and awards for their work, and rightfully so (especially MM).
However, the strongest element to this film is the story itself.

I was completely drawn in and dazzled by the drama on-screen.
The living on the edge of a razor is harrowingly communicated to the audience.

Finally, I have to say the damning of the FDA, big pharma, and the AMA isn't slight, which is just FINE with me (this coming from someone with an intense dislike of the American Health Care System).

The Real Ron Woodruff:
http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/movies/headlines/20131101-the-real-story-behind-the-dallas-buyers-club-movie.ece

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Worth of seeing ? I consider watching this movie but i am awere of boredom.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Like oink, I avoided Dallas Buyers Club for some time because of its off-putting subject matter but the rave reviews for both Matthew McConaughey and Jared Letto's performances finally drew me to the theater a couple of months after it was released. As noted earlier, I was glad I saw it. Unfortunately, Redbox did not buy the BD edition of the film and, as a matter of policy, I won't rent DVDs of recent releases from Redbox. Fortunately, though, my public library did order the BD, so I should get it by and by. Looking forward to seeing those great performances again.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The one thing that took me out of the movie was the giant poster of a orange Lamborghini Aventador. I wouldn't have given it a second look if it was a Countach. smile.gif

_lamborghini_aventador_en_dallas_buyers_club_zps10f1d30c.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

The one thing that took me out of the movie was the giant poster of a orange Lamborghini Aventador. I wouldn't have given it a second look if it was a Countach. smile.gif
Of course you wouldn't.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Of course you wouldn't.biggrin.gif

You know me....when it comes to cars you have to get it right. biggrin.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List