Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transcendence_2014/

Transcendence reviews:
Top Critics (38)
Fresh (27)
Rotten (116)

When i am interested in a movie i look at RT rating as well as RT reviews. As said before Alone In The Dark has 1%. That was not a bad movie IMO Winter's Bone has 94%. That was a mediocre movie, not worth my time IMO What it comes down to is that folks cannot decide for you what is your taste.

When i am interested in a movie and see a bad RT rating i want to know why that is. When i understand the why i make up my mind. Do i buy the blu-ray for 12 euro, do i wait a while till price dops, or do i skip it?

A movie that i really like is The Adventures Of Pluto Nash. Lots of fun to watch. Everybody seems to hate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Well, my preferences are often at odds with the mainstream; your mileage may vary. It will be interesting to read the comments here after people have seen it, starting this Friday.
Scott, I had no interest in seeing this one initially as the trailers made it seem a bit like the Lawnmower Man. But based on your recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

Since we're talking Sci-Fi and the nature of consciousness and AI, have you seen Ghost in the Shell 2? It's the best movie I've seen on the question. The film came out in 2004. The first one was a bit ponderous, but also really good.
post #63 of 68 Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I'm really torn on whether to trek on out to the local octoplex and buy a ticket for this one. The reviews I've read are all pretty negative - "ponderously slow" seems to be the operative description. OTOH, I like serious, thoughtful science fiction since there's so precious little of it. I also respect Scott's opinion on most everything.

Ultimately, I'll probably just wait for it to show up on Netflix or premium cable. Judging by the box office, that probably won't take too long.
post #64 of 68 Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ultimately, I'll probably just wait for it to show up on Netflix or premium cable. Judging by the box office, that probably won't take too long.
Good man.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #65 of 68 Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Well I headed to my local Imax over at Lincoln Sq Theater with my Gal, went in with the with the lowest of low expectations. Took the flick for what it is (Sci Fi) and enjoyed it, we both were entertain. It's not horrible, but I didn't seen anything that I haven't seen before.

Djoel
post #66 of 68 Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Since the movie was flopping at the box office, I knew it would be pulled from Atmos theatres withing a week, so I headed down to my local Atmos theatre in Monrovia. I'm starting to believe that the more effective Atmos mixes are in quieter movies (Brave, Life of Pi, Oblivion, Gravity). Not much panning but plenty of overhead sounds; you can tell within the first few minutes that you're listening to an Atmos mix.

The movie itself is really nice, though a little slow to get going. The moral dilema of the movie laments that our wisdom is not moving as fast as the technology we create, similar to the warning in Jurrasic Park (we're smart enough to know how to clone dinosaurs but not wise enough to know not to do it). And since it is about technology, the sci-fi element is an integral part of the story. The religious imagery wasn't necessary, but I guess the filmmakers couldn't help letting us know how clever they are. All in all, worth a watch. And, one of the better Atmos mixes I've heard.

Sanjay
post #67 of 68 Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The more I read about this movie and the reactions to it, the less interest I have in it. Portraying self-contradictory Luddites (they use technology to fight technology?) as heroes doesn't appeal to me.
post #68 of 68 Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The more I read about this movie and the reactions to it, the less interest I have in it. Portraying self-contradictory Luddites (they use technology to fight technology?) as heroes doesn't appeal to me.

Isn't that the way works, you read something dumb about a particular book, album, play,movie etc, and one looses interest wink.gif no?

DJoel
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page