post #31 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Oh my god I can't take all this conflict on the internet. If only we had an internet superhero...
Maybe Captain America can save you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Good not great, worth a watch. There is more then enough eye candy and great audio so it is totally worth at least one viewing.

James Reid:D
post #33 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Yes. We saw it on a Sunday morning so tickets were only $7 each. I thought it was easily worth that. But i don't think it would have been worth $14 a ticket.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #34 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
Then you are obviously not interested. See my response to your post. If you don't want to see a movie on a screen bigger than your future HT's and with better audio, that is your choice. You are aware of Dolby Atmos?
The nearest Atmos theater to me is in Atlanta, 5 hours away, so I don't think I'll be experiencing it any time soon. And I live in Charlotte, a fairly large metro area with an NBA and NFL team, which is more than LA can say. So the Atmos rollout in commercial theaters is going slowly. Of course, they're now beginning Atmos for the home with certain receivers capable of decoding an Atmos soundtrack on a BD or via streaming. Of which there are currently none, AFAIK. But that's certainly an option for me in the future.

As to better audio in an "ordinary" multi-channel theater, that's debatable - you don't know my setup or gear. What's not debatable is the quality of the image, and its size relative to my viewing position. That will be superior to most-if-not-all multiplexes. And my feet won't stick to the floor.
post #35 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The nearest Atmos theater to me is in Atlanta, 5 hours away, so I don't think I'll be experiencing it any time soon. And I live in Charlotte, a fairly large metro area with an NBA and NFL team, which is more than LA can say. So the Atmos rollout in commercial theaters is going slowly. Of course, they're now beginning Atmos for the home with certain receivers capable of decoding an Atmos soundtrack on a BD or via streaming. Of which there are currently none, AFAIK. But that's certainly an option for me in the future.
But Charlotte, your major metropolitan city, doesn't have any Dolby Atmos equipped theaters, nothing compared to Southern California . Wonder how you will be able to evaluate Dolby Atmos if you have never experienced it. You maybe able to get a sense of it if you run properly setup height speakers. But then Dolby Atmos is a totally different animal.

Quote:
As to better audio in an "ordinary" multi-channel theater, that's debatable - you don't know my setup or gear. What's not debatable is the quality of the image, and its size relative to my viewing position. That will be superior to most-if-not-all multiplexes. And my feet won't stick to the floor.
I am not referring to your average or most theaters, but ones that are on the cutting edge for movie viewers such as: Pacific Theater's Arclight Cinema 1 in Sherman Oaks, Krikorian's LFX theater in Monrovia, or AMC Burbank 16's Prime theater. Now if you can match up to any of those, then I salute you. And I don't go to theaters in which my feet stick to the floor.
post #36 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

You should have a listen to Auro Sound the other immersive sound system, Regal has it in the Birkdale stadium in Hunters ville which is a little closer to you.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #37 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
You should have a listen to Auro Sound the other immersive sound system, Regal has it in the Birkdale stadium in Hunters ville which is a little closer to you.
Thanks. I may give that a try just for fun.

And I'm not saying I never go to commercial theaters. I go several times a year, but only for certain big blockbusters. I used to go a lot more, especially when I was out in the dating world. Dinner and a movie is still the quintessential date night. After my theater is built, I suspect that number will decrease even more.
post #38 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
The title "Snowpiercer" makes it sound like it should be a Syfy original.
It pretty much is.
post #39 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 752
It does have a bunch of higher profile actors in it. i was shocked by the number of actors i recognized in Snowpiercer.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #40 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
saw movie yesterday, well I saw 30 minutes of it before I gave up. I tried to care about the characters but the fights were boring and somethings made zero sense
Spoiler!

Plz dont spend no more than 1$ to watch this...once it hits redbox....or just DL the torrent thats been out for a year.
post #41 of 46 Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
Then you are obviously not interested. See my response to your post. If you don't want to see a movie on a screen bigger than your future HT's and with better audio, that is your choice. You are aware of Dolby Atmos?
I don't know, my plasma might be a lot smaller than a movie theater screen but it sure looks better. Also, my modest 5.1 system has always sounded better to me than the theater-- maybe it's because I don't have to turn it up over the noise of an audience munching popcorn, sucking down soda, chatting to their neighbors and texting on their phones. Oh, and being able to watch in my underwear is nice! Last time I tried that at the local cineplex...

Back on topic: MovieBob on the Escapist really liked this so I'm interested in watching it.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #42 of 46 Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I purchased this film on VUDU several days ago and finally got around to watching it last night. The fact that it's based on a French graphic novel says a lot. Definitely had a Terry Gilliam vibe, found myself thinking back on Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. Then there is The Hunger Games element of the elite keeping the poor under control. The movie is R rated so I was expecting the violence, each battle was unique and not repetitive as someone claimed.

I didn't feel the CGI of the train and outside world was realistic but good enough to move the story forward. The actual set pieces were well done with quite a bit of detail. Marco Beltrami's score worked well with the movie but no particular parts stand out for me, at least on one viewing.

The sole problem for me was the journey through the train cars. Each car got more and more fantastical, in one car there were freshly butchered chickens and sides of meat which made you wonder where is all this stuff coming from? I won't go into more detail but each car brought new questions on how any of this was being achieved. In the end, at least for me, the film was more fantasy than science fiction. The wife and I enjoyed it. I'm fine with having it in my VUDU film collection. As evidenced by comments in this thread it's not for everyone. 8/10.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #43 of 46 Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It does have a bunch of higher profile actors in it. i was shocked by the number of actors i recognized in Snowpiercer.
It did seem like a B grade movie with A grade actors.
post #44 of 46 Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This movie's plotline reminds me of a science theory (or might have been part of a novel) I once read about how humans might be able to live on Mercury (as if anybody would want to). You'd build a train that would circumnavigate the planet and it would always be racing along in the temperate zone between day and night as Mercury rotates during it's solar day. It's the only time the temperature is between lead-boiling hot and super sub-freezing cold. That train better never break down...

Edit: I now remember where I read that! It was in the third book of the 3-part "Red Mars" trilogy by Hugo & Nebula awards winner Kim Stanley Robinson. The third book, which features a spacecraft trip through the then-colonized solar system including Mercury, is called "Blue Mars". Really good stuff!

Last edited by archiguy; 09-18-2014 at 02:53 PM.
post #45 of 46 Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
This movie's plotline reminds me of a science theory (or might have been part of a novel) I once read about how humans might be able to live on Mercury (as if anybody would want to). You'd build a train that would circumnavigate the planet and it would always be racing along in the temperate zone between day and night as Mercury rotates during it's solar day. It's the only time the temperature is between lead-boiling hot and super sub-freezing cold. That train better never break down...
Bring back Mussolini and you can be sure that it will always run on time.
Mind you, you will probably find yourself in a war with the people from Venus, a conflict which in all probability will end badly for the Mercurians, so caution is advised here.

Last edited by catonic; 09-18-2014 at 05:39 AM.
post #46 of 46 Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I started watching this last night. Hope to finish it tonight. So far the premise is interesting but there seem to be a lot of plot holes that you're just expected to accept.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page