Fight Club aspect ratio hbo vs blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

While watching Fight club on HBO ZONE today I noticed something odd about the aspect ratio.  Seemed to fill the screen a bit more than the 10th anniversary blu ray.

During the Marla breast cancer scene where Jack is looking for lumps, both breasts are fully visible. At which point I fired up the blu ray of that scene and all you see is the top of jacks hand.

So what verison/aspect ratio is HBO airing?

I was under the impression the 2.39:1 was superior and showed the whole frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsystem View Post

I was under the impression the 2.39:1 was superior and showed the whole frame.

It all depends on the film. Sometimes the sides are cropped in order to make the image a fullscreen 16x9 image. This is by far the most common method for movies filmed using an anamorphic lens.

In this case the top and bottom were opened up to show more image. Fight Club was shot on Super 35 so a full-frame 4x3 image was captured and cropped to 2.35:1. Interesting that HBO is using a version that's been opened up.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Fight Club was composed for 2.39:1. HBO is airing an open-matte transfer that exposes excess, unintended picture information at the top and bottom of the screen.

HBO has a "no letterboxing" policy because someone at the network is a hardcore black bar hater. Only in rare exceptions do movies air letterboxed on the network. For example, Steven Soderbergh had it written into his contract that the movies in his Ocean's trilogy cannot be cropped to any other aspect ratio.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Fight Club was composed for 2.39:1. HBO is airing an open-matte transfer that exposes excess, unintended picture information at the top and bottom of the screen.

HBO has a "no letterboxing" policy because someone at the network is a hardcore black bar hater. Only in rare exceptions do movies air letterboxed on the network. For example, Steven Soderbergh had it written into his contract that the movies in his Ocean's trilogy cannot be cropped to any other aspect ratio.

And also applied to Soderbergh's MAGIC MAN (or whatever that go-go boy thing is called). A shame that other directors don't follow suit.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page