The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #61 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just saw this today

This movie was disappointing to say the least. The series is done and there was no reason for 3 hobbit films. This is very similar to the original star wars films vs the prequels. In the original movies the original characters were developed better, the plotline made more sense and didnt drag on, and there was always something else going on.
In this film it was 1 thing going on the entire length of the movie and it felt more like a tv episode than a movie.

The thing that upset me the most was however,

Spoiler!
Osirus23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post
Just saw this today

This movie was disappointing to say the least. The series is done and there was no reason for 3 hobbit films. This is very similar to the original star wars films vs the prequels. In the original movies the original characters were developed better, the plotline made more sense and didnt drag on, and there was always something else going on.
In this film it was 1 thing going on the entire length of the movie and it felt more like a tv episode than a movie.

The thing that upset me the most was however,

Spoiler!
To address your spoiler, that is how the book was written. Unfortunately, it really doesn't work in the film nearly as well, because Peter Jackson chose to change their character. They were a sentient race in the books. They talked and had differences of opinion with Gandalf. That entire aspect was left out, pushing them much harder towards the deus ex machina solution than a logical one.
Wytchone likes this.
post #63 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
I was thinking of going to one of the marathons but no theater is showing it in Dolby Atmos 3D HFR.
This is how I saw it. Then my best mate wanted to see it on opening day, so I wound up seeing it again. It's amazing the night/day difference between HFR 3D and standard.

post #64 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
This is how I saw it. Then my best mate wanted to see it on opening day, so I wound up seeing it again. It's amazing the night/day difference between HFR 3D and standard.
Which is best which is best? ...3D HFR or 3D IMAX?
post #65 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Seeing all three Hobbit movies back to back made the extraneous filler material seem even more...well...extraneous.

I really, really wanted to like Hi-frame Rate video, but after 9 hours I can decisively say I HATE it. I own the first two Hobbit movies and despite their shortcomings have enjoyed them several times. I was looking forward to seeing them on the big screen again, but the HFR video simply destroyed all credibility or suspension of disbelief. Psychologically I was never able to enter the story; it was always a set with stage pieces, actors and choreography. The entire thing smacked of low budget public access programming. For this reason I can't even comment on the third movie. I always enjoy a movie more at home anyway, but in this case the "soap opera effect" rendered me totally unable to form an opinion about the content itself. Perhaps the entire movie is nothing more than a ridiculous, over the top, endless fight scene interrupted periodically by overwrought, unfathomable inter-species love. Then again it may just be a cinematic masterpiece. Won't know for sure until I see it in the comfort of my own theater.
post #66 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I preferred 3D HFR by quite a bit. That may be partly because I enjoy watching movies as intended by the Director, but even discounting that. the HFR simply made the action pop even more. It takes a moment or two in order to adjust to the HFR, but as soon as I did, I was glad for it.
post #67 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Seeing all three Hobbit movies back to back made the extraneous filler material seem even more...well...extraneous.

I really, really wanted to like Hi-frame Rate video, but after 9 hours I can decisively say I HATE it. I own the first two Hobbit movies and despite their shortcomings have enjoyed them several times. I was looking forward to seeing them on the big screen again, but the HFR video simply destroyed all credibility or suspension of disbelief. Psychologically I was never able to enter the story; it was always a set with stage pieces, actors and choreography. The entire thing smacked of low budget public access programming. For this reason I can't even comment on the third movie. I always enjoy a movie more at home anyway, but in this case the "soap opera effect" rendered me totally unable to form an opinion about the content itself. Perhaps the entire movie is nothing more than a ridiculous, over the top, endless fight scene interrupted periodically by overwrought, unfathomable inter-species love. Then again it may just be a cinematic masterpiece. Won't know for sure until I see it in the comfort of my own theater.
I too could have done without the Kili-Tauriel romance. It just doesn't fit anywhere in the mythos of Middle-Earth. As for filler though, outside of the romance, I found there to be very little of it, and it's not as though there were more than a few minutes of the romance filler in the third segment. Even excising the romance entirely from the third movie, it would have still been over 2 hours long.

I do think that the original plan for two movies instead of three probably was the better idea. Two movies pushing up against, but not quite reaching three hours, rather than 3 movies all over the 2 hour, 20 minute mark would have worked to tighten things up just a bit. Overall, I can think of about 25-30 minutes of movie (from the theatrical releases) that could have been excised without hurting the movies one bit.

I have no problem with the lengths of the EE versions of the movies, the "extra unnecessary stuff" is rather the point of those.
post #68 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'm not even going to rent it. I might watch it when it shows up on HBOgo.

That being said - if PJ is gauging interest in further extensions of the LotR trilogy I'm all in. If he takes every passable second of unseen footage, edits it into the existing films, has Howard Shore extend the score, and releases six new cuts of the original three movies into theaters I will be the first in line to watch them. And I'd pay $25 a pop for them if that's what it took.
post #69 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
^+1. Inquiring minds want to know.
post #70 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Some imax theaters are showing it in hfr.
post #71 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:51 PM

And also; any chance that in a near feature (future) we might see HFR (48fps) on Blu-ray? ...And in 3D of course, and @ 4K.
post #72 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some imax theaters are showing it in hfr.
This is what my local IMAX is doing. It was beautiful to behold the trilogy that way. It really did only take a few moments to adjust to the HFR, which then made everything even crisper than before, especially in fast-paced motion sequences, of which there are many given all the battles.
post #73 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
^+1. Inquiring minds want to know.
Hey, you from the Okanagan, where about?

* I lived there for twenty years, ...Oyama, Naramata, Paradise Ranch, Chute Creek, Chute Lake, and have fiends all over...Vernon, Kelowna, Westbank, Winfield, Peachland, Summerland, Pencticton, Ok Falls, Osoyoos, Keremeos, ...
post #74 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
This is what my local IMAX is doing. It was beautiful to behold the trilogy that way. It really did only take a few moments to adjust to the HFR, which then made everything even crisper than before, especially in fast-paced motion sequences, of which there are many given all the battles.
So, The Hobbit trilogy is best @ IMAX 3D HFR then? ...But them theaters are rare in the world, and nowhere near where I live.
post #75 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, The Hobbit trilogy is best @ IMAX 3D HFR then? ...But them theaters are rare in the world, and nowhere near where I live.
If you can see it in HFR 3D IMAX, then yes, see it that way. If you have to choose between HFR or IMAX, that gets tougher. I would probably choose the HFR over the IMAX myself. There are plenty of impressively sized screens out there screening the movie in HFR without IMAX.
post #76 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If you can see it in HFR 3D IMAX, then yes, see it that way. If you have to choose between HFR or IMAX, that gets tougher. I would probably choose the HFR over the IMAX myself. There are plenty of impressively sized screens out there screening the movie in HFR without IMAX.
Alright thanks; I'll have to check them out both, but HFR first would be a totally new experience for me, so I'll go with it first, I think.

And like I said; no luck where I live, no IMAX HFR, or unless ... IMAX Victoria Royal BC Museum.
But they are always very late to present the newest releases, like by six months or so! ...That's the kind of the best IMAX theater we got.
post #77 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 PM

/// Maybe I should move to Seattle, or Los Angeles?
post #78 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Hey, you from the Okanagan, where about?
I'm currently in Vernon and loving it. Fantastic mountain biking and beaches in the summer, skiing in the winter. What's not to like? I Lived in Vancouver for ten years but damn I hated the traffic. The food was epic, though.

As far as cinemas are concerned, we seem to get pretty hosed here in Canada. This is why we have to do it properly for ourselves at home lol.

Last edited by blastermaster; 12-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #79 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Alright thanks; I'll have to check them out both, but HFR first would be a totally new experience for me, so I'll go with it first, I think.

And like I said; no luck where I live, no IMAX HFR, or unless ... IMAX Victoria Royal BC Museum.
But they are always very late to present the newest releases, like by six months or so! ...That's the kind of the best IMAX theater we got.
I have the good fortune of living in a city where the "local" cinema family, the Harkins, have been around long enough and are passionate enough about providing the best experience they can, that we have an actual IMAX with all the bells and whistles. In fact, they just finished a major upgrading of the facility not 6 weeks ago. Over the years, Harkins Theatres have managed to pretty much push everyone other than AMC out of the market. Even AMC has trouble keeping up out here though.
post #80 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When the first Hobbit film came out, during its last week in our theatre they offered it in 3D HFR. So, I went back and saw it again. The second film was offered in both 3D and 3D HFR. I chose the HFR. When I went yesterday to see the third film in 3D, I asked if it was going to be offered in HFR and they said it IS in HFR only. That's all they were sent!
post #81 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Well I'm driving all the way from Fresno/Clovis tonight to see it in HFR tomorrow at the Arclight. It should be in Atmos but I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Going to the 11:55am showing if you change your mind.

Ended up going tonight, since the website updated with "3D-ATMOS" for their HFR presentation.

The Atmos was...disappointing. I could not really hear the ceiling speakers for the most part (as far as overhead pans went). During the credits I even tilted my head up to hear if any music was coming from them: all music seemed to be emanating from the main and center channels. Which to me is odd since Howard Shore talked about how the Atmos mix opened up everything. I asked theater management if the showing was indeed Atmos and they said it was and that "they had received multiple complaints about the mix".

I liked the HFR. However I noticed that the more "processed" the picture was, the less "live" it looked. Full sets like Laketown and outdoor footage looked crisp and the HFR effect was more pronounced. With the green-screen/virtual sets the effect seemed to disappear. Not in a good way: the depth of the image suffered immensely.

Digital armies still look CG. The only thing that's improved from LOTR is the resolution of the troops. Virtual sets still looked pretty phony as well. Compare them to the virtual sets by ILM from Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Star Trek: Into Darkness to see how WETA still has a lot of learning to do. Also for some reason shots of guys on sometimes horseback look terrible as well.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #82 of 223 Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post
When the first Hobbit film came out, during its last week in our theatre they offered it in 3D HFR. So, I went back and saw it again. The second film was offered in both 3D and 3D HFR. I chose the HFR. When I went yesterday to see the third film in 3D, I asked if it was going to be offered in HFR and they said it IS in HFR only. That's all they were sent!
Alan, your avatar, it looks very very nice. ...Where is it, and do you have a larger picture?
post #83 of 223 Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Saw it earlier. Liked it well enough.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #84 of 223 Old 12-20-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Saw it this morning at the Century 25 Stadium in XD. The theater had two sets of surround speakers (JBL) which I've never seen before, one set was above ear level and another set near the ceiling? First time watching it in 48fps and the clarity was impressive but I didn't really like it all that much. As for the movie, it was ok...

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #85 of 223 Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Saw it this morning at the Century 25 Stadium in XD. The theater had two sets of surround speakers (JBL) which I've never seen before, one set was above ear level and another set near the ceiling? First time watching it in 48fps and the clarity was impressive but I didn't really like it all that much. As for the movie, it was ok...
That would be for Auro 3D.
Mrkazador likes this.
post #86 of 223 Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM

No IMAX in vernon (Okanagan). ...Kelowna?
post #87 of 223 Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Alan, your avatar, it looks very very nice. ...Where is it, and do you have a larger picture?
My avatar is taken along Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. We live just outside the Park. I "took" the photo from the internet somewhere. Forgot where, but I'll look.
post #88 of 223 Old 12-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post
My avatar is taken along Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. We live just outside the Park. I "took" the photo from the internet somewhere. Forgot where, but I'll look.
It's a magnificent environment (vista of mountains); that's why I asked you for a larger picture. ...It brings peace and serenity to the soul.

Merry Christmas.
post #89 of 223 Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Saw it in HFR 3D IMAX. Visuals effects and presentation was nice. Since it haven't seen previous movies I didn't know what to expect, but 2,4 hours went fast and movie left positive overall impression. But for me it was more spectacle over substance kind of movie.. HFR didn't distract me, got used with it in couple of first minutes
post #90 of 223 Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It's a magnificent environment (vista of mountains); that's why I asked you for a larger picture. ...It brings peace and serenity to the soul.

Merry Christmas.
PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page