Paying more for Premium theaters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Interesting article about the movie industry's plan to charge more for admission due to: better seats, better sound and bigger screens..

http://nypost.com/2014/06/06/more-premium-theaters-are-coming-should-you-pay-up/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
True that there is a higher admission price, but the writer of the article makes it out that you won't have an option.

The vast majority of theatres nowadays are multiplexes with around 10 or more cinemas. In the closest theatre to me 2 of the 10 cinemas are converted to 'AVX' style cinema with a premium price. With every new release you have a choice of the AVX or regular cinema. Most times there has been a non 3D option as well.

I am on board with these premium choice cinemas.

For my local 'AVX' I happily pay the premium for a reserved seat that I can book days (even weeks) in advance. Especially nice when seeing the movie on opening weekend. The screen is indeed bigger than it was before the AVX conversion. They've recently added Dolby Atmos. The seats are wider and more comfy. I won't pay extra for the 'D-BOX' seats that vibrate and shimmy though.

About a 30 minute drive away the theatre has added 'VIP' cinemas. These cinemas have been retrofitted to have roughly 100 seats down from 300 (not too sure what the exact numbers are). I'm 5'11" and I need to fully extend my legs out to touch the backs of the seats in front of me. I order alcoholic drinks and deep fried pickles from my seat...what's not to like about that? Added benefit of the VIP cinema is the 19+ age limit. No Idiot parents dragging their 5 year old kid in to see Skyfall and repeatedly having to run out of the theatre with the kid for whatever reason.

Like people who enjoy fine wine, I enjoy a good movie experience and it's nuances. You can only see a movie 'For the First Time' once.