AVS Forum banner

What is your "Go To" movie.

759 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  darthrsg 
#1 · (Edited)
You have people coming over that have not yet seen your setup.

You power it all up, they go "wow that's nice lets watch something"

What is your number 1 go to movie to show off your system.

• Not something, you'll skip through to show off the best bits
  • Not a demo disc
  • Something that you will actually sit down and watch all the way through.
  • You can only choose one!

Post up your ONE and only go to movie, and why it is so.
    No lists, no top 5's, no ifs no buts

Go -

#3 ·
Gravity.

It's in both scope and 3D. The Blu-ray looks and sounds terrific, with great use of 3D and a heart-stopping soundtrack. It's also a very short movie (don't want to force guests to sit for a three-hour epic), and one that most people seem to like.

If we don't have time to sit for all 90 minutes, the first 15 make a good demo. If you stop the movie after Sandra Bullock's character stops spinning in circles and gets dragged back towards the shuttle, that makes for a pretty well-contained mini story arc with its own beginning, middle and end built around a stunning action scene.

#4 ·
2001: A Space Odyssey.

It may not have any of today's bells and whistles, but considering a 1968 movie is more or less scientifically acceptable in 2014 speaks volumes.

#6 ·
Star Trek (2009) is my go to full-length demo film. It has everything that's demo worthy, plus it's a real crowd pleaser.

For kids, my go to is The Incredibles.

Good choices by the above posters. I would use any of those. 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I love, I'd be selective with as I know how today's generation is with slower, methodical films.

Reactions: Mud76 and KJSteward
#8 ·
^ Transformers used to be mine as well. I still use the Ironhide flip as one of my favourite demo scenes. Always puts a big smile on people's faces when the bass sweep travels through them.

Reactions: Mud76 and darthrsg
#10 ·
Wow a hard choice to pick a single one.

I would have to say "Apollo 13". Fantastic launch scene and with the surround sound as if you were right there in the command module riding the bomb. Brings out the truth that the loudest man made sound outside a nuclear blast is a Saturn 5 rocket launch. Then a complete change once they get above the earth. The incident that occurs and the module goes into a spin. Toward the end you're on the edge of your seat as the command module is returning to earth.

A very good movie that accurately portrays the interest of the country back then. I can remember being glued to the TV watching the Apollo missions. Yip I sure remember that July night when Neil Armstrong first stepped on the moon. My siblings and I all ran outside and looked up at the moon. I can't remember for sure but I believe it was a full moon. We thought wow someone from Earth was on that moon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.