Jersey Boys - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jersey Boys

It's been a while since I have seen a Clint Eastwood directed movie so I thought I would give Jersey Boys a try.

I barely remember many of the Four Season's songs. I just remember them playing on the radio when I was very young. At the time I probably didn't even know who they were.

The story line was rather slow at the beginning but got better farther into the movie. I particularly liked the ending street scene that was done.

Who can forget Frankie Valli's voice in many of the songs.

Over all it was a good movie. Probably worth having in my collection after it is released on DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Thanks for the review. I love musical theater but haven't seen the stage version of Jersey Boys. On top of that I have high regard for Clint Eastwood's talent as a director. Nevertheless, I have decided not to see the film in the theater because of all the tepid reviews it has received and also because the music genre represented is not among my favorites. I will definitely rent the BD when it becomes available, though. I am hoping that the musical will show up on the schedule of a national touring company series I subscribe to here. Alas, it's not on next season's schedule but maybe the year after that.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Thanks for the review. I love musical theater but haven't seen the stage version of Jersey Boys. On top of that I have high regard for Clint Eastwood's talent as a director. Nevertheless, I have decided not to see the film in the theater because of all the tepid reviews it has received and also because the music genre represented is not among my favorites. I will definitely rent the BD when it becomes available, though. I am hoping that the musical will show up on the schedule of a national touring company series I subscribe to here. Alas, it's not on next season's schedule but maybe the year after that.
The only what I call musical theater part was the ending scene.

I did see one possible blooper in the movie. I don't recall who was driving the car and they dropped Frankie Valli off where he lived and he gets out and right next to the house next door were modern day A/C condenser coils.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have many very fond memories of the Four Seasons, and a lot of their songs are among my all time favorites. I did see Jersey Boys in the theater. What really amazed me was after the show all the people lining up to buy the soundtrack! Why not just get the originals!!!!!

Anyway, the play was fair, and despite my high regard for Clint Eastwood I have no interest in seeing the movie.

SMK
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I saw the national touring production of Jersey Boys in Charlotte last year (or the year before, maybe). I highly recommend it if you have a chance. It was a lot of fun, and typical for stage musicals in that every dramatic scene led organically into a song number. It's not really "cinematic" to do that with a movie version, and from what I've heard, Eastwood tried to do a nearly scene-by-scene adaptation of the musical.

I don't see a compelling reason to see this movie in the theaters. I'll wait for the BD and watch in my HT.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
What really amazed me was after the show all the people lining up to buy the soundtrack! Why not just get the originals!!!!!
Agree! I love Frankie & the boys, and will probably check this out when it hits home-vid. They were pretty hip dudes for their time.

Previously posted these in the disco thread (because they came out around that era of the 70's), but I think some of you might enjoy checkin these out.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-01-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The 4 Seasons came out in 1962, not the 70s! I was there!

Bobby 

post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I love Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons but dislike the musical. There was no "soul" in the performance, the musical soundtrack recording is even more "sterile" and "too careful" of a performance.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from other people emulating Frankie and the boys.

I will give this movie a try though.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 05:09 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
The 4 Seasons came out in 1962, not the 70s! I was there!
Actually, 1960 (according to Wikipedia). I was referring to the release of the above tracks though, which are both from the 1975 album Who Loves You.

I wasn't there btw, but also like many of their early "doo-wop" inspired tunes from the 60's as well.

ADU
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Actually, 1960 (according to Wikipedia). I was referring to the release of the above tracks though, which are both from the 1975 album Who Loves You.

I wasn't there btw, but also like many of their early "doo-wop" inspired tunes from the 60's as well.
But as your reference shows, nobody heard of them until Sherry in 1962, then everybody heard of them....

Bobby 

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page