How To Train Your Dragon 2 - An absolute gem of a movie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How To Train Your Dragon 2 - An absolute gem of a movie

I finally got around to seeing this movie last night and was completely enthralled by it. I would describe it for me as being an exquisite movie going experience.

I have had particular life experiences that make elements of the story hit very close to home and make this movie more emotionally impactful to me than most other people. That said I still think that this movie should be a 'must see' in the theatre for a good number of AVS fans out there.

A bit more background of me for 'reference'... I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas 6 times in the theatre. I love and appreciate the work and artistry of animated movies.

Visually stunning in the quality of animation. At times I felt that this was actual physical objects being filmed in stop motion. The fluidity of motion of the characters on screen was like watching a dance. Emotions being conveyed by 'cartoon' CGI characters was startling to see (in a good way). Inspiring flight sequences brought me to tears many times. If you've ever had a dog or cat there are numerous 'funny pet' goings ons to make you chuckle.

I feel this movie is not for little kids... the characters have grown up from the previous film and are now young adults and there are darker elements to the story and action that I think might be much for anyone under 10. I think that this also contributes to it being a much better movie than the first one as there is now
Spoiler!
drama.

From the beginning to end I savoured every moment of this movie like a very fine wine and did not wish it to end. It was a 4:40pm showing that I saw and came very very close to going back to see the 10:00pm showing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I saw this movie also, albeit distracted by my two boys, 2 1/2 and 4.

I do like that in this movie, the characters actually did grow up a little, and the movie grew up with them. There are some darker themes explored, along with enough frivolity to keep it from getting too intense. Definitely a must see, especially if you enjoyed the first. And my 4 year old really seemed to enjoy the movie, although I'm not sure he really understands some of the darker elements explored.

My main question/concern about this movie is how the LFE track will sound on Blu-Ray. The first movie is very fun to watch in a home theater with DIY subs capable of playing into the single digits. The sound system of the theater I was in gave some hints that there may well be infrasonic content in this movie as well, but it can depend on how they re-mix for the Blu Ray release. I really hope they don't Kung Fu Panda 2 this release, and nerf the LFE.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Going to see this one this week. We're on vacation and one of our traditions is going to see a movie after hitting the beach all day. I will most likely be drinking heavily before the show, so take any subsequent reviews with a splash of lime. Huge fan of the first film.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Im hoping to see watch HTTYD 2 this coming weekend. I love the first.

Frank
Old 06-29-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I saw it last week an thought it was great. At the very least equal to the first but I feel in many ways better. I'd see it a second time in a heartbeat even without my kids.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
I saw it last week an thought it was great. At the very least equal to the first but I feel in many ways better. I'd see it a second time in a heartbeat even without my kids.
That's good to read CG, HTTYD is up there as my all time favourite animation
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post
My main question/concern about this movie is how the LFE track will sound on Blu-Ray. The first movie is very fun to watch in a home theater with DIY subs capable of playing into the single digits. The sound system of the theater I was in gave some hints that there may well be infrasonic content in this movie as well, but it can depend on how they re-mix for the Blu Ray release. I really hope they don't Kung Fu Panda 2 this release, and nerf the LFE.
Agreed, is always a concern they could filter the lfe. Randy Thom is listed as superving sound editor on 2 as he was on the first, and that one was not nerf'd. Hopefully, this one is not messed with either.

HTTYD is one of my families' favorite movies. The tv show, and passage of time, has lessened the excitement for 2, but are planning to get the kids to see this next week - and definately looking forward to the bluray for home.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

I watched. I loved. I highly recommend.
Toe likes this.

Stephen.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I watched. I loved. I highly recommend.
Better than the first Stephen?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Saw this and Deliver Us From Evil tonight (I know right, such extremes for movie night) and this was easily the better of the two. Great story that went in unexpected directions. This one equalled the entertainment of the Toy Storys for my family of four. And the visuals were flawless, in every frame there was reference quality shots. I can't wait 'til the blu-ray becomes available for this one!

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaStar View Post
And the visuals were flawless, in every frame there was reference quality shots. I can't wait 'til the blu-ray becomes available for this one!

Seriously. Framing, composition, lighting were spot on. So much beautiful attention to facial movement and details. The crow's feet at the edge of Valka's eyes as she changed expressions. Stoik's weathered fatherly face. Hiccup's despair and anguish broke my heart.

Let's not forget about the voice acting as well. Excellent.

Although I don't think it can really be done justice at home. There were so many awestruck moments for me seeing this on the theatre big screen.
Spoiler!
won't nearly have the same terrifying beauty on a mere 60 inch screen.

I saw it again yesterday, I think I'll go again tonight.

Last edited by absurd_username; 07-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Better than the first Stephen?
Sorry, Frank. I'm just now getting to a computer with a real keyboard. I hate typing on a tablet...

Better than the first one? That's always a tough question to answer accurately with two great movies, without the benefit of years going by after having seen both. That way you can see them more objectively. In other words, I won't answer because I really don't know yet. For example, after The Dark Knight came out, I loved it. Thought it was way better than Batman Begins. Time has shown me that I actually enjoy watching BB more than TDK now.

However, there are some things I can say about this one. The first noticeable thing was just how well the small details of the timeline were done. Fairly certain it's not a spoiler to say this story takes place 5 years after the first movie. So the characters have obviously aged. But, I'm not talking about just the visual aspect. It's a modern animated film. We know it looks good. I'm talking about the decisions the filmmakers and animators made in how those details were ultimately done. And again, not just visually. The way they speak, the actions they take, the gestures and smaller details...they're so impressive that it seems we're watching a live action film where the previous 15 year olds (or however old they were) are now 20, and we've seen them progress through puberty and mature. That could have been handled much, much worse than it was here. It was impressive and really helped pull you in.

The next thing that stood out was a little less easy to describe, and that's the story itself and how it seemed to be such a perfect match for the first film. It felt like a seamless continuation, even though it was separated by 5 years. I've seen many sequels that simply seemed to have nothing to do with the first film, other than the title. This one felt like we had a long intermission after the first movie, then just picked back up on it.

It wasn't perfect, though. It did have flaws in my opinion (honestly nitpicking here), but the movie was done so well that whatever small things I didn't agree with are almost completely forgiven based on how well everything else was done. If someone liked the first movie I can't imagine them not liking this one. For me, it was well worth the theater trip and if given the opportunity I'd go again.

Stephen.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Sorry, Frank. I'm just now getting to a computer with a real keyboard. I hate typing on a tablet...

Better than the first one? That's always a tough question to answer accurately with two great movies, without the benefit of years going by after having seen both. That way you can see them more objectively. In other words, I won't answer because I really don't know yet. For example, after The Dark Knight came out, I loved it. Thought it was way better than Batman Begins. Time has shown me that I actually enjoy watching BB more than TDK now.

However, there are some things I can say about this one. The first noticeable thing was just how well the small details of the timeline were done. Fairly certain it's not a spoiler to say this story takes place 5 years after the first movie. So the characters have obviously aged. But, I'm not talking about just the visual aspect. It's a modern animated film. We know it looks good. I'm talking about the decisions the filmmakers and animators made in how those details were ultimately done. And again, not just visually. The way they speak, the actions they take, the gestures and smaller details...they're so impressive that it seems we're watching a live action film where the previous 15 year olds (or however old they were) are now 20, and we've seen them progress through puberty and mature. That could have been handled much, much worse than it was here. It was impressive and really helped pull you in.

The next thing that stood out was a little less easy to describe, and that's the story itself and how it seemed to be such a perfect match for the first film. It felt like a seamless continuation, even though it was separated by 5 years. I've seen many sequels that simply seemed to have nothing to do with the first film, other than the title. This one felt like we had a long intermission after the first movie, then just picked back up on it.

It wasn't perfect, though. It did have flaws in my opinion (honestly nitpicking here), but the movie was done so well that whatever small things I didn't agree with are almost completely forgiven based on how well everything else was done. If someone liked the first movie I can't imagine them not liking this one. For me, it was well worth the theater trip and if given the opportunity I'd go again.
Agreed. Even on the BB and TDK point, although I think TDK is just too damn long and I eventually lose interest as the pace doesn't do well in repeat viewings.

HTTYD2 was awesome. I took my 4 and 6yr old to see it and while the 4yr old got antsy the 6 was very into it. I enjoyed it more than the first for many of the reasons already stated but will celebrate sb1's point on how well they aged all aspects of the film, it really felt like a brilliant transition from the prior film.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 AM
CIH USER

Smile

Quote:

Thank you for your reply Stephen, I was going to watch it today but I lost to Rio 2. My kids wanted to see that more than HTTYD 2 :eek surprise:

Frank
Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

HTTYD2 was awesome. I took my 4 and 6yr old to see it and while the 4yr old got antsy the 6 was very into it. I enjoyed it more than the first for many of the reasons already stated but will celebrate sb1's point on how well they aged all aspects of the film, it really felt like a brilliant transition from the prior film.
Thanks for that General Kenobi. I wish I went to watch HTTYD 2 than Rio 2.

Frank
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that General Kenobi. I wish I went to watch HTTYD 2 than Rio 2.
Haven't seen it but the first Rio was okay. HTTYD is just on another level though. I think these films are the best animated movies Dreamworks has put out, followed by Kungfu Panda (no I am not a fan of the overrated Shrek movies).

My Rig

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Haven't seen it but the first Rio was okay. HTTYD is just on another level though. I think these films are the best animated movies Dreamworks has put out, followed by Kungfu Panda (no I am not a fan of the overrated Shrek movies).
I agree with HTTYD and Kungfu Panda best animation from DreamWorks. I'm not a big fan of shrek eithier.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Took the kids to this while on vacation. On a Monday night and we were the only ones in the theater. My kids were cracking up at being alone in a somewhat big theater - lol. Agree with the concensus, the movie was awesome. I was in a different state and had no prior knowledge of the theater we went to. The PQ was outstanding, although we did have the best seat in the house...

However, there was ZERO lfe and am hoping it was just the theater I was in? I know how my local theaters are with lfe reproduction and am hoping this was just a product of the particular theater? Anyone see this in a good lfe theater? The Alpha scenes should have been packed with low stuff but nary a quiver...

Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Is there a family movie thread like that terrible horror one? Asking for a friend.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Is there a family movie thread like that terrible horror one? Asking for a friend.
That's a good point. Seems like only the top animated movies get any traction here, and then still not as much as a typical, more adult oriented movie. I tried to get involved in the anime thread on the bluray forum here since they discuss a lot of Ghibli titles. But I kept saying stuff like PONYO was one of my favorite KID'S movies and I loved watching the Ghibli movies with my kids etc etc.

I would think a family movie thread would be a natural as most here are into their home setups and nothing better than sharing that with your kids.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
That's a good point. Seems like only the top animated movies get any traction here, and then still not as much as a typical, more adult oriented movie. I tried to get involved in the anime thread on the bluray forum here since they discuss a lot of Ghibli titles. But I kept saying stuff like PONYO was one of my favorite KID'S movies and I loved watching the Ghibli movies with my kids etc etc.

I would think a family movie thread would be a natural as most here are into their home setups and nothing better than sharing that with your kids.
My friend says you have a good idea.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 AM
CIH USER

Got my tickets for tomorrow. Finally will get to see it.

Frank
Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't read this spoiler if you haven't seen the movie. I only say that because I read spoilers all the time when I haven't seen the movie...

Spoiler!

Stephen.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't read this spoiler if you haven't seen the movie. I only say that because I read spoilers all the time when I haven't seen the movie...

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

My Rig

Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 07-11-2014, 02:48 AM
CIH USER

I loved this film just came back watching it. Very sad near the end. This is definitely a first day buy on blu for me. I wonder if they will do a third?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if they will do a third?
I wondered the same. Part of me hopes they don't, though. They've done great with the two movies they've made. Don't push it. Plus, the story is complete now. They've grown up. Everything is set in place. Another film may feel like a made up story "just because". Then the more optimistic side of me thinks that if they can do two great ones, they can do a third.

Nah. I don't want them to make another one. It's nearly perfect as it is now.

Stephen.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
I wondered the same. Part of me hopes they don't, though. They've done great with the two movies they've made. Don't push it. Plus, the story is complete now. They've grown up. Everything is set in place. Another film may feel like a made up story "just because". Then the more optimistic side of me thinks that if they can do two great ones, they can do a third.

Nah. I don't want them to make another one. It's nearly perfect as it is now.
You could be right, I guess it depends in the direction they take with the third.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You could be right, I guess it depends in the direction they take with the third.
I did a bit of searching the other day and there is a story about 3 (possibly 4). Release date for '3' is supposedly 2016.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dean-debloi...ragon-3-and-4/

'Since development on the sequel began, writer/director Dean DeBlois has been very upfront in saying How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the middle chapter in a larger saga. A trilogy that will end in 2016′s How To Train Your Dragon 3, announced in 2012. Now with Part 2 almost in theaters, he’s begun to divulge a bit about the third film, specifically how the ending of the series will tie back into Cressida Cowell‘s original books.'

Very excited and happy that the next movie(s) are already thought out during development of HTTYD2. Can't wait.
GoCaboNow likes this.

Last edited by absurd_username; 07-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username View Post
I did a bit of searching the other day and there is a story about 3 (possibly 4). Release date for '3' is supposedly 2016.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dean-debloi...ragon-3-and-4/

'Since development on the sequel began, writer/director Dean DeBlois has been very upfront in saying How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the middle chapter in a larger saga. A trilogy that will end in 2016′s How To Train Your Dragon 3, announced in 2012. Now with Part 2 almost in theaters, he’s begun to divulge a bit about the third film, specifically how the ending of the series will tie back into Cressida Cowell‘s original books.'

Very excited and happy that the next movie(s) are already thought out during development of HTTYD2. Can't wait.
Good to know, thank you.