post #31 of 53 Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Saw it yesterday in 2D and thought it was outstanding. Frankly, Serkis deserves an Oscar nod for his performance. He's amazing in his ability to "sell" the idea that he's a chimp and I bought it hook, line, and sinker.
I'm not sure about the oscar... While I agree he's excellent, I kept thinking during the movie about the amazing, nuanced work done by the animators. Half of the credit should go to them, despite Andy's claims

I saw the movie last week and loved every minute of it. Michael Giacchino who composed the music this time, made more than a few references to the iconic 1968 score... Nice!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is definitely one of the best sequels, better than the first, and having us looking forward to the third one. Like one critic said, it might just be the Empire Strikes Back of this franchise.

Serkis' comments about "digital makeup" are unfortunate and just, wrong. There's a team involved, and he's a part of it. Actors tend to minimize their work even when they're very much aware of what they did, which is usually an understandable and kind move ("it couldn't have been possible without blah blah blah")....and he's doing the opposite now just to be recognized as the "genius" who gave life to Gollum, King Kong and Caesar? Sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Also saw it this past Friday in 2D and I thought it was really well done. Outstanding realism on the apes, if you saw the first one, you will love this one even better. Thumbs up.
Quote:
Saw it yesterday in 2D and thought it was outstanding. Frankly, Serkis deserves an Oscar nod for his performance. He's amazing in his ability to "sell" the idea that he's a chimp and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Curious what the next film will look like because you can't have apes and humans fighting for 2 hours...it would get boring pretty fast
Thats good to read. Looking forward in watching it.

Frank
post #33 of 53 Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
I'm not sure about the oscar... While I agree he's excellent, I kept thinking during the movie about the amazing, nuanced work done by the animators. Half of the credit should go to them, despite Andy's claims

I saw the movie last week and loved every minute of it. Michael Giacchino who composed the music this time, made more than a few references to the iconic 1968 score... Nice!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is definitely one of the best sequels, better than the first, and having us looking forward to the third one. Like one critic said, it might just be the Empire Strikes Back of this franchise.

Serkis' comments about "digital makeup" are unfortunate and just, wrong. There's a team involved, and he's a part of it. Actors tend to minimize their work even when they're very much aware of what they did, which is usually an understandable and kind move ("it couldn't have been possible without blah blah blah")....and he's doing the opposite now just to be recognized as the "genius" who gave life to Gollum, King Kong and Caesar? Sad.
If you watch the bonus feature on the "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" disc, you see exactly how much Andy is doing to convey the emotions of the chimp. While the animators certainly help along the way, it's his facial expressions that they're working off of. Furthermore, all of the body movements are coming from him as well, which is frankly why they look so damn real. You can tell when a computer is creating a creature versus one that is motion captured.

I stand by my proclamation that he deserves and Oscar nomination for his role. He made me believe he was a real chimpanzee, which is pretty damn impressive (with a technical award to the computer guys, of course!).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #34 of 53 Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Regarding Andy Serkis, those are physically demanding roles he plays, far more than the average actor. That he still has the strength and flexibility to portray a chimpanzee so convincingly - he's no spring chicken anymore - is a testament to what an athlete he must be, as well as a master thespian.
post #35 of 53 Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
If you watch the bonus feature on the "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" disc, you see exactly how much Andy is doing to convey the emotions of the chimp. While the animators certainly help along the way, it's his facial expressions that they're working off of. Furthermore, all of the body movements are coming from him as well, which is frankly why they look so damn real. You can tell when a computer is creating a creature versus one that is motion captured.

I stand by my proclamation that he deserves and Oscar nomination for his role. He made me believe he was a real chimpanzee, which is pretty damn impressive (with a technical award to the computer guys, of course!).
I'll have to watch those. I'm not denying the quality of his work, not in the least. I do think he's a great actor, when I see his name in a movie, it makes me more curious about it. BUT, it looks like he's somewhat diminishing the animators/vfx work with his remarks - I don't think they're just applying "digital makeup", they're doing more than that imo.
post #36 of 53 Old 08-02-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I just watched the movie and left the theatre wanting to go back in and watch it again. This is one of the best sequels I've seen in a awhile. Actually, this year has had its share of quality sequels with Captain America : The Winter Soldier and X-Men : Days Of Future's Past.

One aspect that doesn't get touched on is Matt Reeves' direction. His ability to make us care about all the characters really adds to the weight of the movie.

I love that both sides have legitimate points of view and one side isn't unnaturally demonized.

I can't wait to own this one and watch it a many more times.
post #37 of 53 Old 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I didn't care for any of the human characters at all, and overall I thought it was just kind of silly with apes on horseback wielding M249 SAW machine guns. I guess I'm just old school, I prefer my apes to be clothed, I could never get used to these "nude" apes in these recent movies.
post #38 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lucky enough to attend the free private screening- excellent experience. Amazing film and effects.. Check more on Movie News!
post #39 of 53 Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching rise of the planet of the apes. Getting ready for this weeks release Dawn of the planet of the apes
post #40 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 AM
CIH USER

Picked this up today, loved the first so hopefully the sequel will be just as good.

Frank
post #41 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Picked this up today, loved the first so hopefully the sequel will be just as good.
Doesn't come out here on blu until Dec. 2nd. We can get the digital download version now thru Vudu, etc. I'll wait for the lossless (BD) version. What did you think of it, Franin?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #42 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 AM
CIH USER

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Preview Screening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Doesn't come out here on blu until Dec. 2nd. We can get the digital download version now thru Vudu, etc. I'll wait for the lossless (BD) version. What did you think of it, Franin?

Haven't watched it yet. Just picked it up today. Sad to see no Atmos just DTS HD MA. Makes me glad I haven't plunged out for a new pre amp with Atmos. Hopefully the US Version has Atmos has it.

Edit: I've been told in another thread that the U. S VERSION will have Atmos. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Frank

Last edited by Franin; 11-17-2014 at 04:42 AM.
post #43 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haven't watched it yet. Just picked it up today. Sad to see no Atmos just DTS HD MA. Makes me glad I haven't plunged out for a new pre amp with Atmos. Hopefully the US Version has Atmos has it.

Edit: I've been told in another thread that the U. S VERSION will have Atmos. I guess we just have to wait and see.
Where did you hear the U.S. version will have Atmos? I can't find any official news of it. Not that it matters, I'm still slumming it with 7.1. Now go watch it and let us know what you think.

post #44 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Where did you hear the U.S. version will have Atmos? I can't find any official news of it. Not that it matters, I'm still slumming it with 7.1. Now go watch it and let us know what you think.

Your right, I just read it from another member from on another forum. It doesn't exactly make it official. Will just have to wait and see.

Frank
post #45 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Wabo, do you plan on going Atmos any time soon?
Quote:
Your right, I just read it from another member from on another forum. It doesn't exactly make it official. Will just have to wait and see.
Frank, are you already set up for Atmos?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #46 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Frank, are you already set up for Atmos?

Not yet, I will though when there is at least a minimum of 200+ titles already released. At this present moment I believe it's not worth the effort.

Frank
post #47 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Not yet, I will though when there is at least a minimum of 200+ titles already released. At this present moment I believe it's not worth the effort.
Ah, 200. Not 2.

The DSU sounds very promising though, but to many things in the air for me. Maybe next year.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #48 of 53 Old 11-17-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. If I was a betting man I would bet against this having Atmos.

Quote:
Wabo, do you plan on going Atmos any time soon?
I was thinking about it. But it doesn't make sense yet. There's no content and not much coming down the pipe. Plus I'm pretty happy with my HT now. How about you?

Quote:
200? They'll have home versions of the Star Trek Holodeck before there's 200 Atmos titles.

Quote:
Ah, 200. Not 2.

The DSU sounds very promising though, but to many things in the air for me. Maybe next year.
DSU does sound kind of neat.

Last edited by Waboman; 11-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #49 of 53 Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Ah, 200. Not 2.

The DSU does look promising but I prefer the discs to have Atmos. If i was a betting man I have a feeling DTS HD UHD is the one that is going to take off.

Frank
post #50 of 53 Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. If I was a betting man I would bet against this having Atmos.

Your right because it has DTS HD MA. I gotta feelin it will be a double dip with DTS UHD

Quote:
200? They'll have home versions of the Star Trek Holodeck before there's 200 Atmos titles.

You might be right. 2015 might be the year of the DTS UHD

Frank
post #51 of 53 Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM
CIH USER

This movie was awesome. For me, it complements the first really well. I'm hoping for a third instalment. Definitely will have replay value in my system.
Dave Vaughn and GoCaboNow like this.

Frank
post #52 of 53 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Not as good as Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I would not buy it. Saw it last night. It was average, and thats being polite.
post #53 of 53 Old Today, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Rented this from Vudu. HDX version. It was ok. Nothing special. I much prefer Rise to it. Worth a rent. Netflix will have it at the end of the month.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage , planet of the apes blu ray
Gear in this thread - planet by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page