Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Preview Screening

Scott Wilkinson got to attend a screening of the next chapter in one of the longest-running movie franchises. How does it stack up?

When Dolby invited me to a screening of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes at the TCL Chinese Theatre almost two weeks before it opens to the public, I jumped at the chance. I've been an Apes fan ever since the original Planet of the Apes in 1968, which has become a classic of the sci-fi genre. The most recent installment, Rise of the Planet of the Apes from 2011, is a prequel that explains how apes gained intelligence similar to humans as an unexpected result of drug testing, and it is widely regarded as one of the best movies in the entire franchise.

Without revealing any real spoilers, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes picks up 10 years after the events in Rise, when the human population of Earth has been decimated by a so-called Simian Virus, which was really caused by the experimental drug that gave the apes their intelligence in the first place; this was foreshadowed at the end of Rise. A small community of human survivors in San Francisco encounters a village of apes living in the forest north of the city and led by Caesar (Andy Serkis), the first ape to gain heightened intelligence in the previous movie. Conflict ensues.

But it's not merely conflict as in "humans good, apes bad"; the story is much more nuanced than that. In fact, there are no clearly defined villains, except perhaps for the ape Koba (Toby Kebbell). The humans are dealing with their grief over the loss of so many loved ones—and their entire civilization—to the virus, while the apes are understandably angry at their mistreatment as experimental subjects a decade ago. Nevertheless, they try to reach a rapprochement, though it is quite fragile with feelings running very high on both sides.

A touching moment between Caesar and Malcolm (played by Jason Clarke).

The combination of live actors and CGI apes brought to life by motion-capture (mocap) technology is remarkable and completely seamless. Andy Serkis delivers a tour-de-force performance as Caesar that is full of pain and hope as he struggles to chart the best course of action for his community. I also enjoyed the use of sign language and guttural vocalizations (with subtitles) among the apes, who are also learning to speak English, albeit slowly.

Unlike most 3D movies these days, Dawn was shot in 3D from the beginning, not converted in post production, and I thought it was very effective. There are virtually no gimmicky shots—the 3D serves mainly to heighten the sense of realism, with most of the depth extending behind the screen plane. In fact, I stopped being aware that it was 3D as I was pulled into the story, though the depth was clearly evident in shots such as looking up into the trees as the apes are on the move.

The presentation I saw included a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which is wonderful. The sound of apes in the trees all around and rainfall are entirely convincing. There's a scene in which some humans are hiding under a log, and the sound of the apes passing over them is amazing. My only complaint with the sound is that it was very bright, even harsh, which could well be the audio system in that particular theater. (It was one of the smaller multiplex auditoriums, not the main room at the Chinese.)

It was also quite loud. Unfortunately, my iPhone SPL app experienced a glitch and didn't record the levels, so I have no metrics, but I definitely needed my earplugs. On the other hand, the ape speech was difficult to understand (as you would expect from creatures with only rudimentary vocal capabilities), so I had to remove the earplugs during some of the quiet scenes.

After the screening, director Matt Reeves and actors Andy Serkis and Gary Oldman (who plays Dreyfus, the leader of the human community in San Francisco) answered questions from Mark Olsen of the Los Angeles Times. Reeves said that 20th Century Fox originally wanted to make a different movie, but he convinced the execs that they had created an incredible hero in Caesar and the sequel to Rise should be centered on him. Also, Reeves advocated for a movie that set the stage for a variety of outcomes, not just the one depicted in the original Planet of the Apes. That ambiguity is one of the hallmarks of Dawn, along with the parallel stories of human and ape families, empathy for all the characters regardless of their species, and how fear begets violence.

L-R: moderator Mark Olsen, director Matt Reeves, and actors Gary Oldman and Andy Serkis

I highly recommend Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, especially in 3D and Dolby Atmos, both of which are used to great effect in this movie. I only hope that the harshness of the sound is a characteristic of the audio system I heard and not the soundtrack itself. If you haven't seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I recommend doing so before seeing Dawn, but it's not absolutely necessary. Either way, this movie is a real treat for all thoughtful, intelligent sci-fi fans of any species.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 07-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 254
For some reason the previews looked really bad to me. I enjoyed the first one and this didn't look as good. How would you rate it in comparison? Also,is Jason Clarke suppose to be the same person James franco was?

Also, good to know about the 3d.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 07-01-2014 at 03:14 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
For some reason the previews looked really bad to me. I enjoyed the first one and this didn't look as good. How would you rate it in comparison? Also,is Jason Clarke suppose to be the same person James franco was?

Also, good to know about the 3d.
I think Dawn is at least as good as Rise. Jason Clarke's character is not the same as James Franco's.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #4 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post
In reality Dawn comes before the Rise.
Yeah, I had that same thought...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #5 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I think Dawn is at least as good as Rise. Jason Clarke's character is not the same as James Franco's.
Thanks. I hate when movies change actors and they try to pretend it is the same character.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
This particular reboot of the franchise is a far more humanist take than the Mark Wahlberg (sp) attempt. I saw the first of this reboot and thought it was a nicely done movie other than the predictable "rise" of the apes. However, it was fun and I am sure to enjoy this one as well. Scott thanks for the once over on this new movie.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've been looking forward to seeing Dawn for quite some time. I thought the first one was brilliant and I'm very happy and relieved that the sequel has been getting great reviews so far.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #8 of 38 Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks, Scott. I saw the Tim Burton Apes and hated it so much I skipped out on the last one. Due to your comments here, I think I'll go back and give Rise a chance, then maybe this one. Eager to hear Atmos and 3D, two flavors I've not yet had together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
This particular reboot of the franchise is a far more humanist take than the Mark Wahlberg (sp) attempt. I saw the first of this reboot and thought it was a nicely done movie other than the predictable "rise" of the apes. However, it was fun and I am sure to enjoy this one as well. Scott thanks for the once over on this new movie.
No doubt! I saw the Tim Burton one on opening night and it was terrible. At the end, when Marky Mark kisses the Ape, I yelled out, "What the HELL." I wouldn't normally be so inconsiderate, but it was obvious by that point that everyone in the theater hated the film, and the audience broke out in laughter. Then Wahlberg walks over and kisses the human girl. Somebody else yelled out, "Hey, it's the best of both worlds!" More laughter.

As terrible as the film was, I got my money's worth as I left; paid in the sour looks of those waiting in line for the next showing as I merrily informed them it wasn't too late--they could still get their money back.
post #9 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post
Thanks, Scott. I saw the Tim Burton Apes and hated it so much I skipped out on the last one. Due to your comments here, I think I'll go back and give Rise a chance, then maybe this one. Eager to hear Atmos and 3D, two flavors I've not yet had together.

No doubt! I saw the Tim Burton one on opening night and it was terrible. At the end, when Marky Mark kisses the Ape, I yelled out, "What the HELL." I wouldn't normally be so inconsiderate, but it was obvious by that point that everyone in the theater hated the film, and the audience broke out in laughter. Then Wahlberg walks over and kisses the human girl. Somebody else yelled out, "Hey, it's the best of both worlds!" More laughter.

As terrible as the film was, I got my money's worth as I left; paid in the sour looks of those waiting in line for the next showing as I merrily informed them it wasn't too late--they could still get their money back.
Tim Burton's take on the franchise was terrible, though the human "love interest" was hotter than all get out. The original three Apes movies were the best of the group of five morality play classics (the last two got ridiculous), though the 1968 Rod Serling/Michael Wilson penned Planet of the Apes is head and shoulders above all of the films so far. CGI and mo-cap couldn't save Rise either. It had a lesser script and a similar editing style to the last two Batman movies and it just didn't sit well with me. Very much like watching snippets of a movie on fast forward rather than a solidly constructed and fully fleshed out story. Too ADD.

I think I'll rent Dawn.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #10 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Thank you Scott can't wait to see this
post #11 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Great report. Looking forward to seeing this - I was a fan of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

One of the most frustrating things about the commercial cinemas I've been to is the harsh, bright, top-heavy sound. Maybe the masses like it this way, but even in a presentation that is otherwise not too loud for me, the brittle highs are annoying and fatiguing. Atmos is the only draw to theaters for me, and this one sounds like a good showcase for it.

post #12 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Rise was my favorite film from 2011. I too will be seeing this in it's opening weekend.

Thanks Scott for mentioning the 3D was shot from the beginning. I'll be seeing this for sure in 3D.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Thanks. I hate when movies change actors and they try to pretend it is the same character.
He is not playing the same character.

I saw rise of the planet of the apes. i was not expecting much from it. it was excellent. I have heard good things about this one. there will be a double feature at certain theatres for both films. the first one will be in 2D while the second movie is in 3d. you get a chance to see both. that is on july 10th.
http://www.cinemark.com/planet-of-th...e-feature.aspx

while I am a huge tim burton fan. I was not a fan of the his version of apes. this new series is so much better.
Jacob
chirpie likes this.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
"Rise" was just good enough to make me interested in seeing Dawn. And now with the reviews Dawn is getting, I'm looking even more foreward to seeing it. A huge plus for Dawn (for me) is that it will be Franco-Free. Rise just suffered so much (in my eyes) in the idiotic demographic-chasing casting of the perpetually stoned-looking Franco as a "scientist."

The detail in the ape images from Dawn are remarkable!
morbidcorpse likes this.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Great review Scott. I look forward to seeing this one as well....I really liked the first movie a lot!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #16 of 38 Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
"Rise" was just good enough to make me interested in seeing Dawn. And now with the reviews Dawn is getting, I'm looking even more foreward to seeing it. A huge plus for Dawn (for me) is that it will be Franco-Free. Rise just suffered so much (in my eyes) in the idiotic demographic-chasing casting of the perpetually stoned-looking Franco as a "scientist."

The detail in the ape images from Dawn are remarkable!
This. Franco is so annoying to me that I skipped the last installment. But this being both Burton and Franco-free, I'll probably check it out. And maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the original Apes implied that most of humanity evolved "back" into primates.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #17 of 38 Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
This. Franco is so annoying to me that I skipped the last installment. But this being both Burton and Franco-free, I'll probably check it out. And maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the original Apes implied that most of humanity evolved "back" into primates.
No, that never happened in any version. Humans "de-evolved" and forgot how to speak languages, but they always remained a separate species.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw the Tim Burton one on opening night and it was terrible. At the end, when Marky Mark kisses the Ape, I yelled out, "What the HELL." I wouldn't normally be so inconsiderate, but it was obvious by that point that everyone in the theater hated the film, and the audience broke out in laughter. Then Wahlberg walks over and kisses the human girl. Somebody else yelled out, "Hey, it's the best of both worlds!" More laughter.
While I'll agree it was a terrible film, Wahlberg kissing the ape was a reference to Charlton Heston giving ape Zira (Kim Hunter) a kiss near the end of the original. So I don't know why you were so upset about this.

Besides, it was telegraphed in the entire film that Helena Bonham Carter's character had a thing for Wahlberg's character, so it shouldn't have been any surprise.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Call me Campy or not, but I actually liked Tim Burton's version. Yes, there are some ridiculous moments, but I thought the set design was pretty good. It's kinda like 'Army of Darkness'; you either LOVE IT OR HATE IT...(I LOVE IT!)

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #20 of 38 Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
While I'll agree it was a terrible film, Wahlberg kissing the ape was a reference to Charlton Heston giving ape Zira (Kim Hunter) a kiss near the end of the original. So I don't know why you were so upset about this.

Besides, it was telegraphed in the entire film that Helena Bonham Carter's character had a thing for Wahlberg's character, so it shouldn't have been any surprise.
I think it has more to do with the fact that the original kiss was more about respect. In Burton's version it just seems forced and "schoolgirl crush" like.
Utopianemo likes this.
post #21 of 38 Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I didn't remember Charlton Heston kissing Zira at the time, and even though Burton's film was such a turd, there's just no excuse for bestiality. It was kind of like getting urinated on by a dog at the end of a 2-hour hike through the mud. "What the HELL" was a completely reasonable response, verified as such by the reactions of every other person in the theater.

At any rate, it's a safe bet my reaction presupposes I didn't know about Charlton kissing a chimp in some other movie, and/or that movie had no influence on what I thought about Burton's turd. Moreover, call me prejudiced, but no matter how strongly telegraphed the romance, my mind just doesn't jump to bestiality. Even if the beast is Helena Bonham Carter.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Call me Campy or not, but I actually liked Tim Burton's version. Yes, there are some ridiculous moments, but I thought the set design was pretty good. It's kinda like 'Army of Darkness'; you either LOVE IT OR HATE IT...(I LOVE IT!)
Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion. I hated the movie in part because it didn't know what it was. The trailers pegged it as a serious, battle-heavy sci-fi flick. And it was....sort of. If they'd stuck with grim sci-fi, I would have loved it. If they'd gone straight camp, I'd have loved it, too. But Burton didn't really blend the two themes so much as went back and forth between the two. I was mostly into the movie until the house chase scene with the apes jumping on the bed. At that point I was asking myself, "What kind of movie is this?" It went back and forth so much from being serious to being ludicrous that it just kind of got to be an ordeal.

That said, the soundtrack was phenomenal. Totally underrated.
post #23 of 38 Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't remember Charlton Heston kissing Zira at the time, and even though Burton's film was such a turd, there's just no excuse for bestiality. It was kind of like getting urinated on by a dog at the end of a 2-hour hike through the mud. "What the HELL" was a completely reasonable response, verified as such by the reactions of every other person in the theater.

At any rate, it's a safe bet my reaction presupposes I didn't know about Charlton kissing a chimp in some other movie, and/or that movie had no influence on what I thought about Burton's turd. Moreover, call me prejudiced, but no matter how strongly telegraphed the romance, my mind just doesn't jump to bestiality. Even if the beast is Helena Bonham Carter.
I don't consider a little peck in a fantasy movie where apes have a society and speak English bestiality. In all respects except for the hair on their bodies, they were humanoid. Have you never seen anyone kiss the top of their dog's head? Have you never seen a dog (or cat) lick a human? Is that bestiality?

When I saw the Burton film in the theatre, there was no such reaction. In fact, there wasn't much reaction to anything except Charlton Heston's line about guns, which got a big laugh.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Humans "de-evolved" and forgot how to speak languages
Thanks to social media, online forums, and texting we're almost there.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #25 of 38 Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion. I hated the movie in part because it didn't know what it was. The trailers pegged it as a serious, battle-heavy sci-fi flick. And it was....sort of. If they'd stuck with grim sci-fi, I would have loved it. If they'd gone straight camp, I'd have loved it, too. But Burton didn't really blend the two themes so much as went back and forth between the two. I was mostly into the movie until the house chase scene with the apes jumping on the bed. At that point I was asking myself, "What kind of movie is this?" It went back and forth so much from being serious to being ludicrous that it just kind of got to be an ordeal.
If Jonny Depp were added, it'd have been a perfect flop.
Utopianemo likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #26 of 38 Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
yum yum israel-palestine allegory.

not.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #27 of 38 Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
For some reason the previews looked really bad to me. I enjoyed the first one and this didn't look as good. How would you rate it in comparison?
I think it looked very good, all shot on Arri Alexa raw (2.8K), lit by Michael Seresin, and color correction by Joerg Bungert over at Weta Digital/Park Road Post in New Zealand.

One thing I'm irked about with the film is that Andy Serkis (who is unquestionably a great actor) is going around doing interviews saying that the VFX people basically did "digital makeup" on him for his Ape character. I think this is extremely disingenuous and is disrespectful of the enormous amount of work that goes on in the VFX and post business. Here's a piece critical of Serkis' recent remarks:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/motion-ca...kis-98868.html

The movie is doing extremely well, and some are calling it the best-reviewed summer blockbuster of the year, which is really saying something. I'm kinda bummed out that Hollywood keeps doing these endless remakes/reboots/sequels, but at least this one is somewhat thoughtful and well-written, so at least it has that.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Saw it yesterday in 2D and thought it was outstanding. Frankly, Serkis deserves an Oscar nod for his performance. He's amazing in his ability to "sell" the idea that he's a chimp and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Curious what the next film will look like because you can't have apes and humans fighting for 2 hours...it would get boring pretty fast

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #29 of 38 Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Also saw it this past Friday in 2D and I thought it was really well done. Outstanding realism on the apes, if you saw the first one, you will love this one even better. Thumbs up.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #30 of 38 Old 07-16-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Saw it yesterday in 2D and thought it was outstanding. Frankly, Serkis deserves an Oscar nod for his performance. He's amazing in his ability to "sell" the idea that he's a chimp and I bought it hook, line, and sinker.
I'm not sure about the oscar... While I agree he's excellent, I kept thinking during the movie about the amazing, nuanced work done by the animators. Half of the credit should go to them, despite Andy's claims

I saw the movie last week and loved every minute of it. Michael Giacchino who composed the music this time, made more than a few references to the iconic 1968 score... Nice!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is definitely one of the best sequels, better than the first, and having us looking forward to the third one. Like one critic said, it might just be the Empire Strikes Back of this franchise.

Serkis' comments about "digital makeup" are unfortunate and just, wrong. There's a team involved, and he's a part of it. Actors tend to minimize their work even when they're very much aware of what they did, which is usually an understandable and kind move ("it couldn't have been possible without blah blah blah")....and he's doing the opposite now just to be recognized as the "genius" who gave life to Gollum, King Kong and Caesar? Sad.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage , planet of the apes blu ray
Gear in this thread - planet by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page