• 1 Post By djoberg

post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Rio 2

Watched Rio 2 today, it wasn't too bad but not as funny as the first. I expected a better sequel but it didn't cut it for me. I will wait for the blu ray ( my kids want it regardless ) and will watch again.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
We did the bluray last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The kids enjoyed it, especially all the different songs from the cast and talent show etc. I find the Blue character annoying, but over all, wasn't a bad sit being able to see how much a bunch of 8 year old girls enjoyed it and themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The first one garnered no desire from any of the family for a return to the player, which lead to the complete lack of desire for anyone here to see the new one. The comments above don't really do anything to help change that.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Thanks for the reports. I might give this a rent at some point when I need a scope 3d fix, but sounds like I don't need to be in a rush!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 15 Old 07-19-2014, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the reports. I might give this a rent at some point when I need a scope 3d fix, but sounds like I don't need to be in a rush!
no rush Todd. Great for the kids!!

Frank

post #6 of 15 Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
We did the bluray last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The kids enjoyed it, especially all the different songs from the cast and talent show etc. I find the Blue character annoying, but over all, wasn't a bad sit being able to see how much a bunch of 8 year old girls enjoyed it and themselves.
What annoys me I didn't realise this was a getting an early release on blu ray in the U.S. I would of waited to purchase on blu ray instead of going to see this at the theatre which cost me $60+

Frank

post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I watched this last night. I won't get on a soapbox to preach the merits of the movie itself, but I am prepared to preach the merits of the incredible PQ. This is some of the best animation I've ever seen, with insane clarity, mesmerizing details and texture, and glorious colors exploding from the screen. One example of all of these virtues is a small poison dart frog named Gabi; the producers of this character gave her unbelievable colors and the clarity is so sharp that you can't take your eyes off from her...she dominates most scenes that she is in with EYE CANDY galore! Add to this a host of other characters (birds, humans, and animals) that also feature amazing colors, details, and clarity, and you can't help but be impressed with this animated marvel.

So, even if one is turned off by the story-line, you will be thoroughly impress with the PQ (and the AQ isn't too shabby either) if you're a video aficionado.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I watched this last night. I won't get on a soapbox to preach the merits of the movie itself, but I am prepared to preach the merits of the incredible PQ. This is some of the best animation I've ever seen, with insane clarity, mesmerizing details and texture, and glorious colors exploding from the screen. One example of all of these virtues is a small poison dart frog named Gabi; the producers of this character gave her unbelievable colors and the clarity is so sharp that you can't take your eyes off from her...she dominates most scenes that she is in with EYE CANDY galore! Add to this a host of other characters (birds, humans, and animals) that also feature amazing colors, details, and clarity, and you can't help but be impressed with this animated marvel.

So, even if one is turned off by the story-line, you will be thoroughly impress with the PQ (and the AQ isn't too shabby either) if you're a video aficionado.
Good point. The frog was very cool looking and I can't think of another animated character that was so vibrant. Her colors really popped!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Agreed. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first. The music was better I thought and I liked that there were less humans in the movie. The animation and colors were brilliant but I expect Book of Life to pretty much mop the floor with it's robust color palette.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10 of 15 Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Agreed. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first. The music was better I thought and I liked that there were less humans in the movie. The animation and colors were brilliant but I expect Book of Life to pretty much mop the floor with it's robust color palette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP01tEMzt40
I hope you're right about the upcoming Book of Life. It will be hard to beat Rio 2, Monsters University and The Smurfs 2 but it does look promising. The thing about Rio 2 was that the dazzling colors never let up....from the opening scene to the rolling of the credits. The Preview of Book of Life had a few shots where the colors were toned down.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP01tEMzt40
Yeah, the trailer for Book of Life plays before Rio 2, also saw it at HTTYD 2, each time I would question if the kids would like it. Kind of a macabre look and tone. Characters dying, dead things on screen. Each time we see the trailer the kids are like I WANT TO SEE THIS!

post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Don't leave out Guardians of Ga'Hoole that flick is gorgeous.

Steam: Guts
post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Don't leave out Guardians of Ga'Hoole that flick is gorgeous.
I agree wholeheartedly! I reviewed this release (back in 2010) and nominated it (then) for the top-animated movie for PQ! Here's the review if you care to read it:

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

post #14 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry, I was bored stiff with Rio 2 and don't even think I made it through the whole thing. I don't really care how pretty it looks if I can't stay awake
post #15 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Sorry, I was bored stiff with Rio 2 and don't even think I made it through the whole thing. I don't really care how pretty it looks if I can't stay awake
You must have been REALLY BORED if you don't even remember if you "made it through the whole thing."

I wasn't enamored with it, but I did find it *watchable*. And I happen to be one who can tolerate a movie if the PQ (and hopefully the AQ too) is really good. I LOVE EYE CANDY...that much!!
Nodscene likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 07-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page