Animated Features and the Oscars - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Animated Features and the Oscars

Just watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 for the third time this evening and so very much enjoyed every moment of it.

As I was leaving the theatre I was thinking on how Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 92. At the time I remember that it raised a few eyebrows because it was the first animated feature to get such a prestigious nomination.

I then got on thinking if an animated movie can and should be nominated in other non traditional categories (Best Song being the usual suspect) for animated features such as Cinematography, Editing, Set Design, Costuming and others.

HTTYD2 was so beautifully composed and richly detailed that I think it should deserve a nod for Cinematography, Production/Set Design and Costuming.

Does the complete artificial nature of the environments and objects negate the efforts put into their creation for the screen?

What do you think?

Last edited by absurd_username; 07-10-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username View Post
HTTYD2 was so beautifully composed and richly detailed that I think it should deserve a nod for Cinematography, Production/Set Design and Costuming.

Does the complete artificial nature of the environments and objects negate the efforts put into their creation for the screen?

What do you think?
My first instinct is to say no, an animated movie should not be nominated for cinematography, production design or costuming. Those are all technical categories that have specific definitions.

However, then I remember that Avatar, Life of Pi and Gravity all won the Cinematography Oscar, and all three of those movies are more CGI than live action. So the line is definitely blurring.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
However, then I remember that Avatar, Life of Pi and Gravity all won the Cinematography Oscar, and all three of those movies are more CGI than live action. So the line is definitely blurring.
But all three involved a DP, or a costume designer, whereas an animated movie doesn't need any of them. That's where I draw the line. Otherwise we'd have Dreamworks or Pixar nominated for "best costume design"? Seems odd and out of place.

As for the editing, that's a different story...
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
But all three involved a DP, or a costume designer, whereas an animated movie doesn't need any of them. That's where I draw the line. Otherwise we'd have Dreamworks or Pixar nominated for "best costume design"? Seems odd and out of place.

As for the editing, that's a different story...
Fully animated movies should not be nominated alongside their live action competition for categories like cinematography, production design, costumes, etc. On the other hand, CGI-heavy live-action movies like Avatar or Gravity definitely deserve equal consideration because the technical departments have to mesh the visible real-world props/actors with their fictional world counterparts, and when seamlessly executed, these films would have pulled off a more difficult task, and deserve much higher consideration for the award. IMHO, of course.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Roger Deakins was a visual consultant for How to Train Your Dragon.

Just tossing that out there.

Josh Z

Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
On the other hand, CGI-heavy live-action movies like Avatar or Gravity definitely deserve equal consideration because the technical departments have to mesh the visible real-world props/actors with their fictional world counterparts, and when seamlessly executed, these films would have pulled off a more difficult task, and deserve much higher consideration for the award. IMHO, of course.
Avatar has long stretches with no live action on screen at all. Unless you're one of those people who insists on claiming that mo-cap is actually live action.

Josh Z

Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 158
At this point, my only reply would be that the Oscars are nothing more than a big damn joke anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement