• 1 Post By psumazda6

post #1 of 23 Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 144
What are some PERFECT recorded CD's?

I'm looking for some PERFECT or very well recorded CD's to listen to with my new speakers. Any genre, any year. Poorly mixed/recorded CD's are very revealing on my new speakers. Only great recorded CD I know of is Steely Dan's Aja. I recall seeing another thread about this at some point but I can't find it, if someone could link it. Is there a "tier list" or anything like that for mixing/recording quality on CD's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
I'm looking for some PERFECT or very well recorded CD's to listen to with my new speakers. Any genre, any year. Poorly mixed/recorded CD's are very revealing on my new speakers. Only great recorded CD I know of is Steely Dan's Aja. I recall seeing another thread about this at some point but I can't find it, if someone could link it. Is there a "tier list" or anything like that for mixing/recording quality on CD's?
Give Jazz At The Pawnshop a spin, a long time demo disc.
There are two discs Vol 1 and Vol 2 they have been reissued, watch out for the out-of-print original, collectors have driven the price up.
The re-issue is affordable. Amazon sells this.
Watch out on the lists, audio tiering causes more debate than video quality tiers on AVS.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3 of 23 Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Might try Fleetwood Mac, "Tango in the Night." PERFECT IMHO. I'm more into the Grateful Dead and Zeppelin but another perfect vinyl would be Pink Floyd's, "Dark Side of the Moon." Just as good on CD as the Original Masters vinyl.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #4 of 23 Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
I remember old Edie Brickell cd's sounding terrific. Like hearing exhales etc. Also the Slave to the Grind record from Skid Row was pretty epic. New copies don't sound the way the old ones did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #6 of 23 Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Perhaps mine something from this thread:

Top 10 Albums for Sound Quality - In discussion

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-12-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 222
One of the best recordings of the acoustic bass that I have ever heard: Ray Brown- Soular Energy
post #8 of 23 Old 07-12-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any cd by the british pop band Keane

Matt
post #9 of 23 Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat." The 20th anniversary "all-blue" version.

CW Hinkle
post #10 of 23 Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Might try Fleetwood Mac, "Tango in the Night." PERFECT IMHO. I'm more into the Grateful Dead and Zeppelin but another perfect vinyl would be Pink Floyd's, "Dark Side of the Moon." Just as good on CD as the Original Masters vinyl.
Curious to hear the thoughts of a fellow Deadhead/audiophile...what do you think of the sound quality of Terrapin Station (the album)? I always thought this was one of the crispest sounding CD's I owned. I think this was their first release on the Arista label.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus is my absolute favorite live album ever. Do yourself a favor and order it right now. Great vocals by Lowell George, great drums and percussion, organ, bass, guitar, and a wonderful horn section.

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 245
This was actually a give-away at Alpine dealers many years back. Outstandingly recorded with a very interesting insert explaining what to listen for on each track.
http://www.amazon.com/Car-Audio-Nati...pr_product_top
Sorry, you can't have mine.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #13 of 23 Old 07-18-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I've been listening to Timbuk 3's 'Edge of Allegiance'. Very clean, excellent dynamic range.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #14 of 23 Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Anything from the below artists, on average, tends to be fairly well recorded. Definitely sample them online just to double-check...
Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sophie Zelmani, Jesse Cook, Melody Gardot

That said, for the most part you will be limited to the quality of the Mic and mic-pre they used, and the general skillset of the crew that put their hands on the recording/mixing/mastering etc etc;
rather than the limitations of CD quality, and especially true for 24/96khz lossless Blu-Ray music discs.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #15 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I listened to some Norah Jones and Diana Krall and it doesn't sound like it's recorded great to me... Seems to have a high noise floor and it's not that clear. Maybe it's just because I don't really like their music. The instruments sound good but their voices sound a bit off to me.

post #16 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psumazda6 View Post
Curious to hear the thoughts of a fellow Deadhead/audiophile...what do you think of the sound quality of Terrapin Station (the album)? I always thought this was one of the crispest sounding CD's I owned. I think this was their first release on the Arista label.
Yes, actually, the sound quality on Terrapin is excellent. That being said, I also think that 'American Beauty' and 'Workingman's Dead' are equally crisp, sharp, and clear. I have not listened to the re-mastered ones but I have always been impressed with the recording quality of the Dead's early studio albums. I don't listen to those albums as much since I have so much live music (85% of what I listen to is Dead) but I'd agree that Terrapin is a very high quality recording.

post #17 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Some commonly mentioned albums among music production folks are listed below. Keep in mind that perfection should mean what works best for the music, not necessarily the most pristine sound.

1. Lyle Lovett, Joshua Judges Ruth
2. AC/DC, Back in Black. This is often put forward as a prime example of punchy rock, that is hard and ballsy without being overly compressed
3. Jeff Buckley, Grace
4. Wilco , Hotel Yankee Foxtrot
5. K.D. Lang, Ingenue
6. Mark Knopfler , Shangri-La, or Golden Heart
7. Steely Day, Aja, which you already mentioned of course
8. Roger Waters, Amused to Death
9. Bob Dylan, Modern Times
10. Rush, Moving Pictures
11. Jellyfish, Spilt Milk (a pretty amazing sonic and production journey.)

Some I would throw in terms of what I feel are really great sounding albums:

1. Natalie Merchant, Tiger Lily
2. Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie
3. Zero Seven, Simple Things
4. U2, Achtung Baby
5. Joan Osborne, Relish
DeadEd likes this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #18 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Croz by David Crosby sounds fantastic and it's content is great.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Perhaps Donald Fagen's Nightfly - not everyone's cup o tea

Dated equipment can't compete with what's available now, but it's valued for the "Clean" sound where nothing can hide in the "Mix" It has the elusive effect of being dense and yet open with space between the notes.
post #20 of 23 Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 AM

I must agree with the AC/DC album Back in Black. GREAT sound! Also 'Moving Pictures." I remember thinking back then (I was 17) that they must have had some awesome equipment to record this stuff! I still have the vinyl. Wish I had a turntable.

She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman that I, ever seen
She had Satan's eyes telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs.
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there....

I know. Hard to separate the music from the song

post #21 of 23 Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Yes, actually, the sound quality on Terrapin is excellent. That being said, I also think that 'American Beauty' and 'Workingman's Dead' are equally crisp, sharp, and clear. I have not listened to the re-mastered ones but I have always been impressed with the recording quality of the Dead's early studio albums. I don't listen to those albums as much since I have so much live music (85% of what I listen to is Dead) but I'd agree that Terrapin is a very high quality recording.
Thanks for the feedback. Mostly a live music guy as well, but loved those Dead CD's in my early days of fandom, when bootleg quality was pretty dreadful unless you got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Perhaps Donald Fagen's Nightfly - not everyone's cup o tea

Dated equipment can't compete with what's available now, but it's valued for the "Clean" sound where nothing can hide in the "Mix" It has the elusive effect of being dense and yet open with space between the notes.
Good call. What a lineup on that album as well...Larry Carlton, Jeff Porcaro, Rick Derringer, and Michael Omartian.

DeadEd likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
8. Roger Waters, Amused to Death
I haven't heard this on CD, but the cassette tape was amazing. It was my first encounter with Q-Sound, and still the best I've heard.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
2. AC/DC, Back in Black. This is often put forward as a prime example of punchy rock, that is hard and ballsy without being overly compressed
Yes, very good - if you get the original release (or close to it). The 2003 "remaster" is far more compressed. Very much so.

Also, Highway to Hell is another excellent example. (Again, avoid the remaster...) I actually like the sound on Highway better than Back in Black...but they're close.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page