What was the last high definition picture/high resolution audio movie you watched? - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 466Likes

post #1021 of 1146 Old 04-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Yes, I'm the same, but this movie seems to have some pretty good awards, and have heard from a number of people that it is really good.
Plus I get bonus points if I bring home a movie that doesn't have exploding heads, lol !!

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1146 Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557

Last night ↑ on Blu.
We have a new force here, and it's a young girl. She's ... different. ...Her name is Daisy Ridley (Rey).
Unfortunately, for me @ this present time, that was only the 2D version. I will have to repurchased it again later this year, probably around Christmas.
But I simply couldn't resist, the force is just too strong. C'est la vie, and then we eclipse ourselves, naturally.

My take: I wasn't prepared for a "soft" type of entertaining coming from a movie like Star Wars. ...Soft because it wasn't loaded like some other films from Marvel and DC comic books. No, this is Lucas style; space, large vistas, sand, spaceships, funny creatures, funny acting, funny interactions, languages, and great for kids...from all ages. Some parts, for me, were pretty cheesy, like melted soft swiss cheese on crackers on top of black forest ham and Italian tomatoes slices.
Simply put it was easy to descend through your tongue and throat, with a large glass of fresh milk. ...What all kids and adults love for after school collation @ the director's office. That, or on your knees with your arms crossed in the air (remember that on grade one?).

My eyes were mostly riveted on Rey's face...eyes, mouth, overall facial expression, and walking and running style.
The new round robot was fun to watch too but less than Rey.

What was smooth is the Star Wars signature; the transitions between quintessence and action scenes. Don't ask, just watch...you'll know what it means.
The guys in white plastic suits were still in it, and you would have to pay me extra to wear one of those suits; they look like slaves inside, with restricted movements and head vision.
And the dark side's new black mask wasn't as good as the one we're used to, IMO. ...Even his voice wasn't menacing; it was smooth.
Typical Star Wars action scene with laser guns and light sabers and spaceships collisions. ...Zip, zap, slip in the way (like the song from Simon & Garfunkel), smooth again and not like Gandalf in LOTR with his long cane with a blinding light @ the top of his crystal.

It takes dedication for Star Wars fans like me in making you part of the same movie experience as I saw it using only words.
And besides my eyes are green, most likely a different color than most of you; so I see differently, and hear not the same because the shape of my ears are like small crispy oval pancakes the type they served in maple syrup cabins in Quebec during the season's festivities and food. ...April.

The same actors that were in the original Star Wars (1977); Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill ...they were still there too in this one (2016), wow!
That is 40 years later! ...They didn't look exactly the same, but they weren't supposed to. They were wiser too, except for Harrison. ;-)

It was fine and fun overall: 80.5 (that's for everything...film's storyline, acting, decors, CGI, picture and music score).
Feel good about the Blu; the quality of the picture and audio is into a galaxy far far away. ...Meaning excellent.

Last word: Smooth. And of course I recommend it; it's a Star Wars film, not a Peanuts movie. ...The Peanuts Movie I liked it too, in 3D.
So, comes next Christmas (just a guess), I'll spend more money and get the 3D version, to encourage Disney studios and in helping to provide for all their families.
And I bet this one will also look splendid in 4K, because the pic quality was very good in 2K. ...Sound was fine too, and the music matching Star Wars trademark signature...sort of; perhaps not as good as III - Revenge of the Sith (still my personal favorite).

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #1023 of 1146 Old 04-06-2016, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
I've been wanting to watch it but I haven't seen it on Redbox anywhere and I usually don't buy movies I haven't seen first. I really don't want to buy duds. I imagine it is pretty good since it has won a bucket full of awards though.
'The Legend of 1900' in my book is a cinema masterpiece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900

As for most of the soi-disant movie critics like from IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, Hollywood Reporter, ... they know nothing pass their own belly button all put together in the same sheep blender.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-06-2016 at 08:22 PM.

post #1024 of 1146 Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
On Tuesday,I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens and liked it a lot. I agree that Daisy Ridley is an appealing young actress. We will no doubt see more of her, not only in the upcoming Star Wars VIII but elsewhere.
post #1025 of 1146 Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

You betcha. There is something "fresh/distant/independent" about her (Rey) that adds to her charisma, I think. ...And BB-8 rolling.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-07-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: -
post #1026 of 1146 Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You betcha. There is something "fresh/distant/independent" about her (Rey) that adds to her charisma, I think. ...And BB8 rolling.
Not many actresses as young and beautiful as Daisy Ridley can bring to bear the edginess that she displayed in Star Wars VII. She reminds me of the young Emily Blunt. Not that Blunt is old, of course, but Blunt is nine years older than Ridley.
post #1027 of 1146 Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Rooney Mara (30), Felicity Jones (32), Emily Blunt (33), and Daisy Ridley (23 - pictured below) ...

... All beautiful young actresses, and Rey is the one ... the Force ... awakening ...

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-07-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: ...
post #1028 of 1146 Old 04-09-2016, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Yesterday I watched Exodus, Gods And Kings.

Well well well.... what a boring mess! And what was Ridley Scott thinking??? Save for beautiful images and impeccable design from beginning to end, there's not much here to enjoy. Besides, I tend to keep my mind slightly open for that kind of things but I don't know if I can't stomach any more of these biblical and religious bull*****. I also noticed, once again, that the egyptians are depicted as a bunch of effeminate idiots, it's not the first time and it gets really annoying, to say it politely. I guess the "chosen ones" are the only ones allowed to be smart in these films...

Anyway... what a disappointment. It's frustrating because on the other end, the film looks so good! Cast was fine too.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #1029 of 1146 Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Onkyo TA-R240 Cassette Tape Player
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | Audio Technica AT95e MM Cartridge | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
Quote:
"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
post #1030 of 1146 Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forsaken, with Kiefer and Donald Sutherland, for the first time on screen together, playing, of course, father and son.

I love westerns. This one offers nothing new to the genre but it is so well done it grabbed my attention from the first image to the last. Solid directing and excellent performances all around. The two Sutherlands (specially Kiefer), Demi Moore, Michael Wincott, and the others, all were perfect in their role. Of course I was expecting some bad guys to be jackbauered at some point This film proves that as long as something is done well, by talented people, it doesn't necessarily have to be new to be good.
Tiki Steve likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #1031 of 1146 Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday I saw Blue Is The Warmest Color with Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos.

3 hours that felt much shorter. The two leads are simply amazing, they are spontaneous, fresh, full of emotions. To be honest, I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. At one point the fact that it's about two women in love becomes secondary, the most important is their love, desires, distress, happiness, sadness. Really a powerful film. Much has been said about the director and the controversies surrounding the shooting of the film, but at least, it somehow paid off and gave us a unique film.

post #1032 of 1146 Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I sure agree with your above comment. I started the journey very casually without expecting much @ all. But the power is that it grabbed me and didn't let it go for the entire duration.
What was the biggest helper was our two main actresses, their attractive faces and true emotions of their youth. I too found it unique and cinema vérité, souplesse, elegance simple, fatalité de jeunesse. Not for everyone, but for the ones who it is, its rewards are real. The cinematography espouses perfectly our two young leaders; it's natural and beautiful.

This ain't no Star Wars, but it is a new force awakening much closer to us in reality of our blue planet than in a galaxy far far away, with laser guns and the dark side toys.
This ain't no Deadpool, but much more serious. It's different, for cinemaphiles, the French cinema. ...No Marvel comics stuff, no Luc Besson stuff. It's all about the montage surrounding two captivating young faces.

By the way, in Canada our dollar is low, our Blu-rays are outrageously expensive; get this one from the USA, the Criterion Collection. Encourage the artists from France through the USA channel distribution. Don't encourage Canadian greed. Canada is a beautiful country, but when it comes to Blu-ray entertainment on this movie here, get it from the USA; invest your money where it counts the most with this one...and not in Canada. ...And same thing with UHD (4K) Blu-rays; don't buy them in Canada, no freekin' way @ $45 a pop (with tax)!
That above BR title from the Criterion Collection is less than $20 in the US; in Canada it's not even worth mentioning @ more than twice! And it's not even from the Criterion Collection.

P.S. I'll have to check the Canadian actor's pair, father and son...Forsaken. Thx for the tip Nic.
P.P.S. Exodus: Gods and Kings ... very very shiny picture, in 3D it's cooler, and it's Ridley's own take...too much grandeur not enough simplicity but then...this is sparta...the scripts...the scriptures...the interpretations...the polishing touches...the shine shoes...the Ridley Scott moviemaking.
This is history in the making and from the makings. We love when we play...nous sommes du soleil...yes.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-13-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #1033 of 1146 Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By the way, in Canada our dollar is low, our Blu-rays are outrageously expensive; get this one from the USA, the Criterion Collection. Encourage the artists from France through the USA channel distribution. Don't encourage Canadian greed. Canada is a beautiful country, but when it comes to Blu-ray entertainment on this movie here, get it from the USA; invest your money where it counts the most with this one...and not in Canada. ...And same thing with UHD (4K) Blu-rays; don't buy them in Canada, no freekin' way @ $45 a pop (with tax)!
I was sure that hmv had it and was ready to blind buy yesterday...until I found out that it's sold out everywhere, even online. I'm not interested in the non-criterion edition so yes it will be amazon. I watched the film on Netflix yesterday but will gladly watch it again once I get the criterion version.

post #1034 of 1146 Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Nic, my comment was for the general Canadian population, on this particular BR title, and also on UHD BR titles.
The system encourages us to shop in the US and not in our own country...no wonder our dollar's worth zip!
Many products related to entertainment are like that...outrageous prices here. So smart shoppers spend their money in the US. ...It's good for the US economy.
post #1035 of 1146 Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

@ HMV you'll get the best deal (only $10).

BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR/WDS/R

MOVIE

BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR/WDS/R on Blu-ray

$15.00
2 for $20.00
Date of release: 2/25/2014
Format: Blu-ray
Catalogue: BRD5243
Supplier: MONGREL MEDIA

* But @ amazon.ca the same Mongrel Media BR title: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-i.../91453/#Review
That same BR Criterion Collection title is more than HMV but less than amazon. @ only $10 it's a no-brainer for people who appreciate advanced French cinema. But it's from amazon.com → http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-I...Blu-ray/77701/
- The BR Criterion Collection titles @ HMV are expensive, very. ...And 3D, and UHD. But they are expensive too @ Walmart, and @ Best Buy.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-14-2016 at 06:33 PM.
post #1036 of 1146 Old 04-15-2016, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@ HMV you'll get the best deal (only $10).
Thanks Bob But with movies as good as this one, I don't mind paying more for the criterion version, and I want the criterion dammit I'm not interested in the Mongrel disc, even if it was free ...the french edition of Cinema Paradiso already cost me about $40 including shipping, but these movies are special...

post #1037 of 1146 Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok Nic, I gave you the scoop about various prices. And when I said that @ HMV for 2/4/$20 (only $10 - just buy another BR you like) that was the best price for it (Mongrel Media or not).

But if for that BR title you're a CC man → https://www.amazon.ca/Criterion-Coll.../dp/B00GPPXNQ2

By the way, @ HMV both Dracula & Leon the Professional (4K remastered picture, with Dolby Atmos), are 2 for $20 (ten bucks each).
And The Fifth Element is only $8.00 @ amazon.ca (4K remastered version as well, and with Dolby Atmos).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...3HAZXF4NW4NNX0
_______

Last night I just revisited The Hateful 8ight, and it grows on me (very good thing). ...That one was $25 (+ tax), and still is.
https://www.hmv.ca/en/Search/Details?sku=846720

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-15-2016 at 04:02 PM.
post #1038 of 1146 Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

1. x ► Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)
www.blu-ray.com/:1446 | 2. x ► Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token )

I noticed that several picture covers have disappeared; just too many to restore.
And the two messages above are the two main reasons why. It's a computer glitch from blu-ray.com and it affects many picture covers by simply making them invisible.

I revisited The Martian in 3D last night. Too bad that 4K is only 2D. And too bad too that Dolby Atmos is exclusive to some 4K movie titles...FOX studios, and more .... But, you can use your 2D►3D up-converter for the 4K flicks. Or can you?

* I'll try movie picture covers from Amazon or eBay from now on.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-08-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #1039 of 1146 Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 AM

I'm back, lol

400 Days

Howard the Duck

Krampus

The Legend of 1900

The Revenant

Star Wars the force awakens

The 5th Wave

The Darjeeling Limited

Also went to the theater and saw Jungle Book and Dead Pool (both good)

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
post #1040 of 1146 Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Steve; good grouping.
_________

♦ I watched Deadpool last night:

Alright, first, this ain't no ordinary comic super-hero, it's a super-comic hero. ...It is so super comic that it has been banned in China for its over exaggerated sense of extreme physical humor. They don't make all of them like it.

It starts in slow-mo. And in that slow-mo opening people are flying up in the air from a small altercation. If you have no humor it's better to let others who do watching it; go for ice cream and pizza in town @ the pub where they watch ping pong or bowling or darts tournaments.
The picture quality is awesome, and the audio just appropriate for this genre. All in all technically this Blu is impeccable...top notch excellence, and I bet that in 4K it must be even more resolved "humorously".

I think we need more flicks like that in the world so that people can start to relax and laugh and enjoy more life.
The story? Well, it's not Lawrence of Arabia, or Casablanca. Let's put it this way. Best is to check it out and see if it rattles your boat smoothly.
Me I liked it; it's great fun entertainment. ...Overall (everything): 89

Tiki Steve likes this.
post #1041 of 1146 Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM

^^^ I saw Deadpool in the theater and loved it, 8 Stars out of 10. As NorthSky told us, it's not your everyday superhero movie. It was raunchy and violent but I laughed my fanny off. Have not yet seen the BD but it will no doubt be as much fun that way as it was on the big screen.
Tiki Steve and Pacodutaco like this.
post #1042 of 1146 Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM

I watched it both in the theater and at home (last night), great movie, good replay value!!
All the "in humour" was just great.

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
post #1043 of 1146 Old 05-15-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dead Pool - Pretty damned good flick. Not what I was expecting. I laughed all movie long.

ellisr63 likes this.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Onkyo TA-R240 Cassette Tape Player
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | Audio Technica AT95e MM Cartridge | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
Quote:
post #1044 of 1146 Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I revisited Avengers: Age of Ultron last night. ...In (((3D))).

In 3D it was great...the film itself I prefer the first one personally.
There were some awesome scenes in 3D, and the surround sound immersion was the usual Disney/Marvel's high productive dignity/integrity/value.
And the audio bass was amply satisfying. ...I simply added nine/ten decibels to the overall master volume control on my pre/pro.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-16-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #1045 of 1146 Old 05-15-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Dead Pool - Pretty damned good flick. Not what I was expecting. I laughed all movie long.

Same here... It was pretty funy, and not at all what I was expecting. I haven't watched it in our theater yet, but the music was excellent in our Living Room setup.
post #1046 of 1146 Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Same here... It was pretty funy, and not at all what I was expecting. I haven't watched it in our theater yet, but the music was excellent in our Living Room setup.

I watched it with my nephew and he was amazed I knew all the music in the movie. I then went to my CD collection and pulled out my copy of Wham - Make It Big. I then pulled out a photo album and showed him a picture of me with my '80's haircut circa 1984 taken right after a Duran Duran concert a friend and I went to. :-)

ellisr63 and Tiki Steve like this.

Quote:
post #1047 of 1146 Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 AM

was pretty good, well done, no over the top action or heroics, just a good retelling of an amazing true story.

So-so, my time could have been better spent.

I watched this on the telly, but did anyone see "All the Way" with Bryan Cranston as LBJ?
Was a very good watch and he was amazing as LBJ

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
post #1048 of 1146 Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Point Break

Quote:
post #1049 of 1146 Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Point Break

PDT what did you think of that movie?
ellisr63 likes this.

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
post #1050 of 1146 Old 05-30-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post

was pretty good, well done, no over the top action or heroics, just a good retelling of an amazing true story
Good to know thanks! I'm watching it tonight
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page