XXX Action Movie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-10-2002, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen XXX the action movie with Vin Diesel? How is the action sequences compared to the Bond movies? Is all the hype just hype, or are the action stuff better? How about the movie plot?

Home Theater Photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

System Components:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-10-2002, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Csoltko
Has anyone seen XXX the action movie with Vin Diesel? How is the action sequences compared to the Bond movies? Is all the hype just hype, or are the action stuff better? How about the movie plot?
We saw it yesterday. The most impressive action piece is xXx snowboarding in front of a avalanche. We went planning to see a brainless action film and were pleasantly suprised at how well written it was. Maybe it was just a case of exceeding diminished expectations, but it was an enjoyable night at the movies. Vin Diesel actually brought some depth, some unexpected aspects to his character - like looking like a total bad-ass, but having good manners.

I don't know if I'd consider it a competitor to the Bond films so much as a homage. it's not like you have to choose to see one or the other. I'd say "xXx" is Maxim to Bond's Playboy...a different type of cool for a different generation. The villians are evil, the women are beautiful, the qadgets are cool, the stunts are impressive...what more do you need?
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2002, 02:44 PM

I saw this last night. I don't believe Vin Diesel will be the next big action star. It was either the script or the acting or both??!! that was lacking. Samuel L Jackson's character too, was weak. That being said, there was tons of action an explosions and for short periods of time I was drawn into the movie. All in all I'll give a 3 outta 5.
peace out.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I don't believe Vin Diesel will be the next big action star.
I think good old Vin is already on his way to being the next big action star. Especially considering he has already done Pitch Black, The Fast and the Furious, and now xXx. Coming up next he has sequels to 2 of the 3 just mentioned already in the works, and another action movie where he plays Hannibal I believe.

But as far as the movie goes, it was pretty good. The snowboarding scene does in fact ROCK! That was awesome and my first thought was that I can't wait for the DVD to rewatch that scene. Oh and his car would absolutely destroy any ride that Q has made for Bond in the last 50 years as well.

It will be good if you go in expecting to see what it really is. 2 hours of stuff blowing up, insane stunts, mild humor, and hot chicks. And all of that works really well together.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-11-2002, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Stuewe

I think good old Vin is already on his way to being the next big action star. Especially considering he has already done Pitch Black, The Fast and the Furious, and now xXx. Coming up next he has sequels to 2 of the 3 just mentioned already in the works, and another action movie where he plays Hannibal I believe.
He turned down $20 million to do the sequel to "The Fast and the Furious", so I think his status as "next major action star" is pretty much a done deal. Who else is in the race? Ben Affleck?

Salon has a very good review of the film. Some of the points they make are great, like:

Quote:
Diesel tends to deliver his lines slowly and thoughtfully -- you sometimes find yourself leaning forward in anticipation of the next one -- but he still manages to come off as light, offhanded, breezy. He's unbruisable and vulnerable at the same time: When he tries to get Yelena to dance with him in a nightclub, and she refuses, he persists -- "Hey, I'm a really good dancer" -- and his anxiety about pleasing her rings through.
Like most action films, it doesn't stand up to overly close scrutiny...especially close to the end. But it makes as much sense as most Bond films, and Diesel is immensely watchable.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2002, 06:20 AM

You guys may be right, he will be marketed very high, but while watching xXx there was never that aura that say...Arnie brought to Terminator or Stallone brought to the first Rambo. It was there in Pitch Black and F&F. That was a good quote from Salon by the way. Also, I watched Signs last night, and it made me enjoy xXx all the more.
peace out-
post #7 of 17 Old 08-17-2002, 11:39 PM

I really enjoyed this action movie. I too felt it was a Bond for a new generation as I was watching it. And I mean this in a good way, as in it is not *too* cheezy and frought with gaudy cliches ("X-treme, dude!!") to please today's teens. It is actually a well done, flashy, funny, sexy, loud action movie that appealed to me greatly.

It is great to see Vin Diesel becoming progressively a bigger star; I knew instantly he was going to be a success after first seeing him in Boiler Room.

One cool thing; during the snowboarding scene, the background music was by a band called Hatebreed that I've seen perform and have met at small venues many times these past few years. I watched XXX with a local promoter who closely deals with this band on a regular basis. We were totally caught off guard!

-Mani
post #8 of 17 Old 08-19-2002, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I will echo what some of you have already posted about xXx. I saw it opening night (what can I say, my wife loves Vin Diesel and I love action flicks). I went in with pretty low expectations overall and came out pleased with this one. I will say the acting was mediocre (but not horrible and certainly very watchable) and the plot was fairly predictable (again, no more predictable than a Bond movie), but I didn't go to this movie expecting anything more than what I got. What I did expect were some great action sequences and boy, did this movie deliver. As others have indicated, of particular impressiveness was the avalanche scene. Half-way through it I started thinking of how cool that's going to sound on my HT. The choreography for that scene, among others, was outstanding IMO.

In the end, I enjoyed it very much because I went in looking for a fun action movie, and that's exactly what I got. I'll buy this one on DVD, if for no other reason than to hear that avalanche scene again and again (but I'd watch the whole movie multiple times too).

BTW, did others find this movie to be extremely loud? I realize there were a lot of special effects that probably hit 105 db peaks, but overall my ears hurt at the end of this one! It just seemed as though the volume was really pumped up for this movie, in the theater where we saw it.

Thanks,

Scott
post #9 of 17 Old 08-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

OH my god I hated this movie! It was freaking awful! I can't believe the number of people here that actually liked this movie ... and I used to have respect for some of you ;) ha ...

I actually fell asleep at one point towards the end (I don't think I have ever fallen asleep in a movie before) ... and I don't know how the hell I fell asleep because this movie is freaking LOUD!!! I can't remember a movie being this loud and obnoxious!! The acting was terrible and I definitely didn't see a whole lot of charisma from Vin that is making him the star that he is. I don't get it, other than the good looks perhaps. I think he needs to stick to simpler fair like The Iron Giant which I thought he was fantastic in !!! ha.

I knew I should of went to see Road To Perdition instead...
post #10 of 17 Old 08-19-2002, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll have a Budwieser... shaken, not stirred.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #11 of 17 Old 08-19-2002, 02:18 PM

Scott-C,

I too noticed this movie was very loud. The avalanche scene particularly was easily some of the loudest stuff I've experienced in a movie theater, ever.

Dean,

Going with the "X-TREME SPORTS" angle of this movie, it's more like "I'll have an energy drink, shaken not stirred" rather than Budweiser. :)

Am I the only one who is totally sick of this "X" garbage? X-Box, X-treme Dorritos, X-games ... some of these marketing drones need to be taken to the back of the shed and put out of their misery (figuratively speaking, of course :) ).

-Mani
post #12 of 17 Old 08-19-2002, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm more of an "Extreme Sloth" kind of guy :-)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2002, 12:40 AM

I just got back from seeing this and thought that overall it was a good movie. I too noticed it was a bit loud. I also really don't care for Samuel L. Jackson, although I do like a lot of the movies he's appeared in. It always seems like he's giving the same delivery and the same performance for every movie. I also thought it was a bit cheesy at times, and sometimes chuckled to myself in places where it wasn't really intended to be funny. For example, the various scenes where Xander is doing something and then is very suddenly 20-100ft in the air shooting someone/kicking somebody's rear etc. just made me think of the UHF Rambo spoof scene :D. The other part I didn't like was that they wrecked a Corvette :(.

All in all, a good mindless action flick :)
post #14 of 17 Old 08-29-2002, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Am I the only one who is totally sick of this "X" garbage? X-Box, X-treme Dorritos, X-games ... some of these marketing drones need to be taken to the back of the shed and put out of their misery (figuratively speaking, of course ).
Mani, you and me both! Everything has an "X" these days...Extreme sports, XBox, Xterra, etc. I guess you can never underestimate the zeal of corporate marketers! :)

Thanks,

Scott
post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2002, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I'm more of an "Extreme Sloth" kind of guy :-)
LOL!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

"the works, and another action movie where he plays Hannibal I believe. "

Hold on, can not let this slip through, does this refer to an A Team Movie???
post #17 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Ok,Done a bit of research now, but can not find a date, anyone know?
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page