Boyhood by Richard Linklater - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
simontan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Boyhood by Richard Linklater

Watched Richard Linklater's Boyhood last night and still marveling about it today. It's a small film in terms of what takes place on screen, and really the 12-year timeframe is certainly no more "epic" than any number of movies, but it's amazing to me how a nearly three-hour film can pass so quickly without any real action scenes, major conflicts, villains, twists, or really anything that would normally be on a narrative checklist. Maybe it's because I grew up in Texas myself and because the two kids at the start of the movie match my own exactly in terms of age and gender, but I felt more more connected to the characters in this movie than anything I can remember seeing in a long, long time. On paper, there is almost nothing to drive the movie along - it just does, like life. Seeing the characters grow and evolve almost imperceptibly for three hours, you find yourself at the end reflecting that, as cliche as it may be, life does move pretty fast even without anything noteworthy happening. I've seen the word "seamless" used a lot in reviews for this film, but that's exactly how the story unfolds with no dates or even major dramatic arcs to disrupt the flow of the characters' lives. I've liked every Richard Linklater film I've seen, particularly Dazed and Confused, which came out when I was a young adult barely removed from the characters in that film. Seeing Boyhood now as a parent to two young kids, I can't think of another director who's better at chronicling and celebrating the unexceptional. Cannot recommend this film enough.

Last edited by simontan; 07-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
simontan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'm looking forward to it when it makes it to Netflix. I think he's certainly one of the best directors out there. He has a number of films in my all time favorites list. Dazed and Confused could be my bio-pic. Before Sunrise/Sunset are modern classics. I really liked Slackers, Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly, and Suburbia as well.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Marc Wielage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hollywood, USA
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Still at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is extremely well-reviewed (to say the least):

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boyhood/
Marc Wielage is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
This does look interesting. I watched Mr. Linklater talk about his film on the Jon Stewart Show.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2546576409/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,810
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Clearly worth seeing, even at 2 hours 44 minutes. Never seems to lag, although it is fiction, but perhaps an inside look at a Texan family and the problems that occur over 12 years in very recent times. The lead actor, Ellar Coltrane, has a promising future. Surprisingly, R rated, by those geniuses of the rating board, most likely because of too much profanity or drug usage, that is not exactly overwhelming or even close, for their ultra puritan bias. Horrors that an unaccompanied 17 year old should see this film.
fookoo_2010 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This is a great film. There really has been nothing like it before; the closest would be the ...Up documentaries from Michael Apted. Watching the characters age is fascinating, though it might be just a bit top-heavy on the later years of Mason and Samantha. I was not bored for a minute, though some people might be.


This should win the "best picture" Oscar. It's the most stunning and singular cinematic achievement since Russian Ark, being its absolute antithesis. The Oscars being what they are, it probably won't win.

CW Hinkle

Last edited by Shaded Dogfood; 08-02-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: it's possessive, not a contraction
Shaded Dogfood is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Now, to top this, someone will have to do a 12 year long movie Russian Ark style.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #8 of 12 Unread Today, 12:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 27,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Watched this tonite and was dazzled....
"Dazzled" as to how this is legitimately being considered for a BP Oscar.
Seriously, WTF?

It's a video diary, not a movie to be considered for prestigious rewards..
No message, no big puzzle, no Big Reveal, no nothing.

Let me be clear...this isn't a "bad movie."
RL milked every possible teat in this movie dry.
But it certainly doesn't deserve excessive acclaim.

PA as Best Actress?
Has pot been legalized in Calif. this year by stealth means?

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
post #9 of 12 Unread Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post
Watched Richard Linklater's Boyhood last night and still marveling about it today. It's a small film in terms of what takes place on screen, and really the 12-year timeframe is certainly no more "epic" than any number of movies, but it's amazing to me how a nearly three-hour film can pass so quickly without any real action scenes, major conflicts, villains, twists, or really anything that would normally be on a narrative checklist. Maybe it's because I grew up in Texas myself and because the two kids at the start of the movie match my own exactly in terms of age and gender, but I felt more more connected to the characters in this movie than anything I can remember seeing in a long, long time. On paper, there is almost nothing to drive the movie along - it just does, like life. Seeing the characters grow and evolve almost imperceptibly for three hours, you find yourself at the end reflecting that, as cliche as it may be, life does move pretty fast even without anything noteworthy happening. I've seen the word "seamless" used a lot in reviews for this film, but that's exactly how the story unfolds with no dates or even major dramatic arcs to disrupt the flow of the characters' lives. I've liked every Richard Linklater film I've seen, particularly Dazed and Confused, which came out when I was a young adult barely removed from the characters in that film. Seeing Boyhood now as a parent to two young kids, I can't think of another director who's better at chronicling and celebrating the unexceptional. Cannot recommend this film enough.
+1

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Watched this tonite and was dazzled....
"Dazzled" as to how this is legitimately being considered for a BP Oscar.
Agreed. As much as I loved the uniqueness and how it was pulled off, I'm not sure I'm interested in watching it again.
Aliens is offline  
post #10 of 12 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 27,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Agreed. As much as I loved the uniqueness and how it was pulled off, I'm not sure I'm interested in watching it again.
Perhaps the gimmick of it being "a movie filmed over 12 years with the same actors" is the reason...I dunno.
There isn't any way in He!! this is a better movie than Calvary...no way, no how (IMO, of course).

If there is anything special about this movie it is the well-drawn character of "Dad" (played by EH) and the dynamic between him and his children.
It felt real and truthful, and for that RL deserves kudos.

Perhaps I should explain the reason I earlier referred to it as a "video diary."
This is a tale (a confession?) of growing up in modern America.
All of the major scenes in the film are things I experienced, in one degree or another, in my own life.
I have first-hand, up close and personal knowledge of the realism to this story.
This is why it felt like "video diary" or Home Movie to me.

Without getting into details, like "Mason" I had a family background similar to his.
And my story isn't unique....tens of millions of children have been drug up raised this way.
It is one of American society's great secrets.
Reagan's Hollywood version of what the typical American Family is was complete B.S.

Fortunately, I made it out the other side.
However, millions did not.
And we see the repercussions to our nation nearly everywhere we look today.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
post #11 of 12 Unread Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I thought Boyhood was thoroughly involving, and well worth the watch. The 12 year "gimmick" didn't come off as a gimmick. I highly recommend it.


Having said that, although I have no issues with it being nominated for Best Picture, I think of it more as an Honorable Mention. It really shouldn't win.
Kilgore is online now  
post #12 of 12 Unread Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 27,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
It really shouldn't win.
With that being said, it will now.


Also, I forgot to mention the very good soundtrack.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off