censored Looney Tunes? (blackface, Confederate flags, etc.) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think FA was one of the better 'toons, in an era where TV 'toons weren't very good at all. With the exceptions of maybe Batman, Tarzan, Scooby-Doo & Star Trek, cartoons from the 70s mostly sucked.

Also, if anyone goes to that archive site, be sure check out "Tokyo Woes". Shocking, but understandable, coming fresh off the heels of WWII.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*

Last edited by rezzy; 08-19-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I think FA was one of the better 'toons, in an era where TV 'toons weren't very good at all. With the exceptions of maybe Batman, Tarzan, Scooby-Doo & Star Trek, cartoons from the 70s mostly sucked.
Wasn't those Batman & Spiderman toons from the Late '60s (though I watched these after school in the early '70's)?

FA was the only Toon I ended up watching on Saturdays ..(a) it was on late & (b) was either at PSR (Religous School) on Sat Mornings or (c) just decided I would much rather sleep in.

Sid & Marty Croft lead to the demise of Saturday Morning Television IMO.

I still enjoy watching the FA reruns currently on Bounce TV!
post #33 of 58 Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going strictly off memory, but I'm sure any of this can be looked up.

The Fantastic Four, Hulk, (Ironman?) & Spider-Man 'toons were from the latter 60s. I remember them, but vaguely. That's pretty much the era when Hanna-Barbara OWNED after-school & Saturdays (Flintstones (original), Huckleberry Hound, (Johnny Quest?), Magilla Gorilla, Pixie & Dixie, Quick Draw McGraw, Ruff & Ready, Snagglepuss, Squidly Diddly, Top Cat, Wally Gator, Yogi Bear, amongst others (I used to own many of those on the Viewmaster 3D; wish I still had them)

The best of the 70s: (IMO) Fat Albert, The Pink Panther, Scooby-Doo, Star Trek, Tarzan and the Super 7. The Super 7 was on CBS, and it included the Dark Knight. Tarzan and Batman were exceptionally animated.

The worst of the 70s: (the new) Flintstones, Grape Ape, Inch-High Private Eye, (the new) Tom & Jerry Show, Superfriends. Perhaps Croft productions had something to do with the decline of Saturday mornings; that's an interesting observation.

The 80s weren't much better. The Smurfs were OK, but the new Alvin and the Chipmunks stank. Didn't get into the Transformers; I was too old for that. At some point in the latter 80s, NBC decided to totally throw away cartoons altogether. A cost saving move, I guess, but there was plenty of trash on primetime to throw away instead. Around 1990, after at least some 25 years on CBS, the Looney Tunes were ported over to ABC briefly before getting pulled off network rotation.

But, NBC recently brought back childrens programming including some cartoons, just as CBS takes its 'toons off the air. ABC pulled its remaining animated shows about 4 years ago. I assume too much competion (Web, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon) was pulling away viewers.
Tack likes this.

Last edited by rezzy; 08-19-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #34 of 58 Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

The Fantastic Four, Hulk, (Ironman?) & Spider-Man 'toons were from the latter 60s. I remember them, but vaguely. That's pretty much the era when Hanna-Barbara OWNED after-school & Saturdays (Flintstones (original), Huckleberry Hound, (Johnny Quest?), Magilla Gorilla, Pixie & Dixie, Quick Draw McGraw, Ruff & Ready, Snagglepuss, Squidly Diddly, Top Cat, Wally Gator, Yogi Bear, amongst others (I used to own many of those on the Viewmaster 3D; wish I still had them)

The best of the 70s: (IMO) Fat Albert, The Pink Panther, Scooby-Doo, Star Trek, Tarzan and the Super 7. The Super 7 was on CBS, and it included the Dark Knight. Tarzan and Batman were exceptionally animated.

The worst of the 70s: (the new) Flintstones, Grape Ape, Inch-High Private Eye, (the new) Tom & Jerry Show, Superfriends. Perhaps Croft productions had something to do with the decline of Saturday mornings; that's an interesting observation.

The 80s weren't much better. The Smurfs were OK, but the new Alvin and the Chipmunks stank. Didn't get into the Transformers; I was too old for that. At some point in the latter 80s, NBC decided to totally throw away cartoons altogether. A cost saving move, I guess, but there was plenty of trash on primetime to throw away instead. Around 1990, after at least some 25 years on CBS, the Looney Tunes were ported over to ABC briefly before getting pulled off network rotation.

But, NBC recently brought back childrens programming including some cartoons, just as CBS takes its 'toons off the air. ABC pulled its remaining animated shows about 4 years ago. I assume too much competion (Web, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon) was pulling away viewers.

Wow, I could have made this exact post almost. Snagglepuss was hilarious as was the Pink Panther spinoff "The Ant and the Aardvark" with John Byner doing dead on impressions of Jackie Mason and Dean Martin.
(That's the fuyst time. I ever saw. An ant. On a motorcycle!) That stuff shaped my sense of humor. Johnny Quest was so mysterious and cool. Quick (straw) Draw McGraw was cool, especially Babalooui.

You are killing me with all this memory lane stuff. Henry Fonda pitching the (GEE AYY EFF Viewmaster).

I think what sticks with me the most is the entire Looney Toons catalog. Other than the censored stuff, it's of the quality and intelligence level that I wish my kids were exposed to. Garbage like "Rugrats" just doesn't cut it.
Will2007 likes this.
post #35 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quite simply, content is king. There is one show that rises above all others. It had subversive political satire. It had educational elements. It had subtle humor.

From 1959 to 1962 it was known as Rocky and His Friends.

From 1962 to 1964 it was known as The Bullwinkle Show. (The new network insisted on a name change.)

In syndication continuously from 1964 through 2014 - an incredible 50 years - it was Rocky and Bullwinkle. The five years of material was repeated ten times per year in daily broadcasts, yet never got old.

Each show began with a parade, oddly similar to the "Electric Lights" parade at Disneyland.

The main thread was a serial drama, very reminiscent of the Republic Pictures serial dramas of the 1920s - 1960s, or even older radio serials, concerning the adventures of the heroic Rocket J. Squirrel and the lovable but bungling Bullwinkle J. Moose. Their main opposition were the frightening Soviet spies Boris Badenov and his sexy Natasha Fatale.

The other parts of the show were:

Fractured Fairy Tales - Wickedly twisted re-tellings of the midievel tales. Renamed "Aesop's Fables" in some episodes, when they needed more material to satirize.

Peabody's Improbable History - Smart dog Professor Peabody and his assistant Sherman having historical adventures in the "Wayback Machine".

The Adventures of Dudley Do-Right - based on that most famous serial drama, Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin. Perhaps with a little "Perils of Pauline" thrown in for variations. Complete with arch-villian Snidely Whiplash and his equally evil dog Smedley.

Each 30-minute show was divided in to five 4-minute segments, two of which were the main theme and between these one episode of the three other segments above.

At the end of each show, the parade ends and a sanitation worker sweeps up the deposits left by the actors on the road.

There can be only one, and that one is "Rocky and Bullwinkle".

inspector and Will2007 like this.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Gary McCoy; 08-20-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #36 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 278
^^^ Where's Wrong Way Peach Fuzz?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #37 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall Peach Fuzz; maybe if I saw a screen cap. I do remember George of the Jungle, Super Chicken & Tom Slick

BTW, the Tom & Jerry 'toons (40s & 50s) were still being aired uncensored by my local FOX affiliate until the late 80s or early 90s. But, before I could write a letter of protest (broadcast rights were aquired by Turner Broadcasting?), they were "modified".

The Black housemaid's lines were removed and redubbed by what sounds like could be the voice of a Caucasian housewife. I believe the "Black-faces" from explosions were removed as well, but haven't watched T&J in a long time. I would love to have them uncensored on DVD, though.

post #38 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You probably watched from my era, & I'm going off memory too, I had a dish & plate set with all the Jellystone (HB) Characters back from the mid-60's.... Pixie & Dixie, & wasn't the Cat's name Mr Jinks? & Could we throw Aquaman & the Lone Ranger in from the Johnny Quest era?

Possibly the popularity of the Bananna Splits lead to the surge of non-toos for Saturdays (Mostly produced by Croft)... recently rented a DVD of the Best of Sid & Marty Croft Saturday Mornnings (or something like that) from my local library for the GF & I to watch, now I can truly say how bad these shows (Lidsville, Puff & Stuff ect) actually were.

Pink Panther had a show that came on on the early '70's, though was it new or just older 'toons intermixed in so George Barris could design another car & Post could market a special brand of Pink Panther Flakes Cereal?
.....which tasted something on the order of Fruty Pebbles..... yeeeech!

BTW do remem the Bullwinkle Show, they now have a few DVD's out too.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-20-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #39 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't recall Peach Fuzz; maybe if I saw a screen cap. I do remember George of the Jungle, Super Chicken & Tom Slick

BTW, the Tom & Jerry 'toons (40s & 50s) were still being aired uncensored by my local FOX affiliate until the late 80s or early 90s. But, before I could write a letter of protest (broadcast rights were aquired by Turner Broadcasting?), they were "modified".

The Black housemaid's lines were removed and redubbed by what sounds like could be the voice of a Caucasian housewife. I believe the "Black-faces" from explosions were removed as well, but haven't watched T&J in a long time. I would love to have them uncensored on DVD, though.
Wrong Way Peach Fuzz was a character on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #40 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. That refreshed my memory. I do remember the Mr Know-it-all segments pretty well. And another favorite from the 70s that I forgot: The Jetsons. Hanna and Barbara must've gotten filthy rich back in the day.

post #41 of 58 Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
You probably watched from my era, & I'm going off memory too, I had a dish & plate set with all the Jellystone (HB) Characters back from the mid-60's.... Pixie & Dixie, & wasn't the Cat's name Mr Jinks? & Could we throw Aquaman & the Lone Ranger in from the Johnny Quest era?
Yeah, Mr Jinks. Don't really remember stand-alone 'toons from Aquaman & Lone Ranger, but I guess they are included.

post #42 of 58 Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK. That refreshed my memory. I do remember the Mr Know-it-all segments pretty well. And another favorite from the 70s that I forgot: The Jetsons. Hanna and Barbara must've gotten filthy rich back in the day.
Actually the Jetsons & Flintstones were pre Prime-Time Network Shows from 1962 or 1963, I may vaguely remember these from any prime time (& likely latter in their run) but usually were shown in syndication after school block on my independent channels 43 or 61 (which still exist today as My & Univision).

I had to look up Aquaman, likely I remember the subset from the Super Friends (1973) which I didn't regularily watch. Lone Ranger was from '66, oh I can vaguely remember it but mom said I enjoyed it.

http://www.tvparty.com/sat66.html

Interesting nostalga on that link, don't ever remember the Beatles having a Saturday Morning Show.
post #43 of 58 Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

At some point during the 70s The Jetsons definitely came on every Saturday morning on NBC. But I'm not sure if they were reruns or a revamp of the series (a la Flintstones; teen Pebbles & Bam Bam).

post #44 of 58 Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At some point during the 70s The Jetsons definitely came on every Saturday morning on NBC. But I'm not sure if they were reruns or a revamp of the series (a la Flintstones; teen Pebbles & Bam Bam).
From wiki on Jetsons New episodes were produced for syndication from 1985 to 1987 as part of the original lineup of the weekday/weekend morning programming block known as The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera.

Somehow I can remember Jetsons in the 70's too on Saturday....

All this Sat Morning talk , how could I forget one of my favorite HB Series... The Wacky Races!
post #45 of 58 Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apparently the Looney Tunes releases don't sell very well, so future Blus of them are unlikely anyway .
post #46 of 58 Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe "The Golden Collection" is already on Blu, though I've yet to purchase any. But if you're talking about the un-censored episodes, yes, they'll never likely be on BD.

Last edited by rezzy; 09-02-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #47 of 58 Old 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

A check of Wikipedia shows that the The Golden Collection is typically what the DVD sets are, and The Platinum Collection is the LT on Blu-ray. Some of the espisodes are supposedly uncensored, too.

post #48 of 58 Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaS
I'm rather late to the party - I was born in England in the 1990s - and grew up on a diet of syndicated Warner Bros. cartoons.

I was fairly shocked to find out recently how much was cut - not just blackface, Confederate flags and uses of the Southern term "The War Between the States", but also smoking, and sexist attitudes.

Is it ok to ask what people on here think?

I think its TOTAL BS!!!!!!

Our GOOD cartoons ruined......

[This message has been edited by Dude111 (edited 09-21-2014).]
post #49 of 58 Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 291
What Makes The Red Man Red ?

How about this one, What Makes The Red Man Red ?
post #50 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 AM

^^^ Good thing they didn't call them redskins! LOL!

larry

post #51 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

PP was shown on ABC (Disney) several years back, but I can't recall if this scene was included or not.

post #52 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In the good ol' US of A (and England at the time); Looney Tunes were also used as propoganda. During the second World War, Bugs Bunny encouraged folks to buy war bonds and there were numerous cartoons of Bugs and the Gang dressed up as soldiers fighting "Krauts" (A slur for Germans) in Nazi Germany.

Animation has been around for a LONG time. And the Looney Tunes are right there in the beginning. And, unfortunately, that was the state of society at the time. Blackface, racial slurs, and dehumanizing the "enemy" (whoever that might be) was absolutely acceptable and common. Although a lot of that happens today; it doesn't happen as much or to the overt extent. (You won't hear a cartoon calling Islamic Radicals 'towel heads', but they certainly called Japanese 'gooks' and Germans 'krauts' in the Looney Toon world during WWII!). But the reality is it wasn't all that scandalous. It is NOW, but it wasn't then.

Ah the "good ol days" right? That's what folks keep telling me. People had respect back then, they say. Unlike today

(Bugs and the gang pushing 'war bonds', an American fundraising effort during WWII)
post #53 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans5.8 View Post

Ah the "good ol days" right? That's what folks keep telling me. People had respect back then, they say. Unlike today
Indeed.
post #54 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In the good ol' US of A (and England at the time); Looney Tunes were also used as propoganda. During the second World War, Bugs Bunny encouraged folks to buy war bonds and there were numerous cartoons of Bugs and the Gang dressed up as soldiers fighting "Krauts" (A slur for Germans) in Nazi Germany.
(Bugs and the gang pushing 'war bonds', an American fundraising effort during WWII)
Wasn't Snoopy fighting the Germans too? Charles Shultz had an obsession with incorporating the French into his comics/toons. Perhaps something from his personal life.
post #55 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Animation has been around for a LONG time. And the Looney Tunes are right there in the beginning. And, unfortunately, that was the state of society at the time. Blackface, racial slurs, and dehumanizing the "enemy" (whoever that might be) was absolutely acceptable and common. Although a lot of that happens today; it doesn't happen as much or to the overt extent. (You won't hear a cartoon calling Islamic Radicals 'towel heads', but they certainly called Japanese 'gooks' and Germans 'krauts' in the Looney Toon world during WWII!). But the reality is it wasn't all that scandalous. It is NOW, but it wasn't then.
I previously mentioned attitudes/slurs weren't so scandalous at the time because Pearl Harbor was poppin' fresh in the minds of Americans. Understandable, if not un-PC.

Last edited by rezzy; 09-25-2014 at 03:33 PM.
post #56 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I previously mentioned attitudes/slurs weren't so scandalous at the time because Pearl Harbor was poppin' fresh in the minds of Americans. Understandable, if not PC.
Right. But unfortunately; unwarranted. My family was German and living here in that time period. They left when Hitler first began to come to power. Folks said they were crazy conspiracy theorists. And they endured a lot of harsh treatment for being Germans. But not NEARLY as bad as Japanese folks; since it was the Japanese who bombed pearl harbor!

We need a scapegoat. We need evil. We need a face to the horror. And "Those people were a radical few" isn't good enough for us, so we demonize entire groups. Not sure any amount of political correctness will ever change that though. We're treating the symptom but not the problem. Nothing has changed and, on that front; probably never will. It seems to be a part of the human condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Wasn't Snoopy fighting the Germans too? Charles Shultz had an obsession with incorporating the French into his comics/toons. Perhaps something from his personal life.
Snoopy was fighting the Red Baron; who was a WWI Ace. The Red Baron was one of the deadliest pilots in the first world war. When he was finally killed; it turned out he had hit his head and suffered a concussion. And that's what caused him to make a few mistakes and end up a smoldering crater in the ground.
post #57 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Right. But unfortunately; unwarranted.
I never said it was warranted. And we're still fighting evil. Should today's cartoons mock and make light of the enemies of the state? Absolutely not! It's small-minded for one, and'll likely embolden them to be even more determined. But that's as political as this needs to get.

post #58 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I never said it was warranted. And we're still fighting evil. Should today's cartoons mock and make light of the enemies of the state? Absolutely not! It's small-minded for one, and'll likely embolden them to be even more determined. But that's as political as this needs to get.
Absolutely!

Crazy how things have changed. Somehow for the good whilst simultaneously for the worse.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page