Good Blu Ray thriller/suspense movies like Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, etc... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tack

post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Good Blu Ray thriller/suspense movies like Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, etc...

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. Wondering if people can post some good movie titles that are similar to the ones I mentioned: Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, Prisoners, Gone Baby Gone, etc...

I don't really like "Action" movies, ones where the shooting and fighting is over the top such as Safe with Jason Statham, and even some of the Bond movies, while entertaining at times, are just a little too cliche for me.

A strong, intense storyline is always good, with some good ol' shooting, bank robberies, and military combat is sorta my thing. I have a projection screen and full 5.1 surround sound so I'm looking for some movies to watch with friends and family. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Hey everyone. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. Wondering if people can post some good movie titles that are similar to the ones I mentioned: Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, Prisoners, Gone Baby Gone, etc...

I don't really like "Action" movies, ones where the shooting and fighting is over the top such as Safe with Jason Statham, and even some of the Bond movies, while entertaining at times, are just a little too cliche for me.

A strong, intense storyline is always good, with some good ol' shooting, bank robberies, and military combat is sorta my thing. I have a projection screen and full 5.1 surround sound so I'm looking for some movies to watch with friends and family. Thanks so much!
Some of my favorites...(in no particular order)

Heat, The Departed, The Godfather (Parts I-III), Scarface, Devil's Advocate, Seven, True Romance, Silence of the Lambs, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Lone Survivor,... (I could go on and on)

I'd also recommend the following TV series... Band of Brothers, True Detective, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Mad Men, 24,...
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Some of my favorites...(in no particular order)

Heat, The Departed, The Godfather (Parts I-III), Scarface, Devil's Advocate, Seven, True Romance, Silence of the Lambs, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Lone Survivor,... (I could go on and on)

I'd also recommend the following TV series... Band of Brothers, True Detective, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Mad Men, 24,...
Thanks for the movie list. Any other newer releases in the past few years that I should be aware of?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The Departed sounds right up your alley. You'd probably like a taut thriller such as Blood Simple or even a much newer one like Blue Ruin. L.A. Confidential is an incredible movie. Some like No Country For Old Men.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 809
You might try Lucky Number Slevin, A History of Violence, and while fairly violent at times, Running Scared.

For something newer, Prisoners is pretty gripping.
General Kenobi likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
You might try Lucky Number Slevin, A History of Violence, and while fairly violent at times, Running Scared.

For something newer, Prisoners is pretty gripping.
Running Scared for sure! The original Swedish Extended Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy. A French film "Tell No One" was also brilliant. Blue Ruin was pretty gritty and a great story to boot.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
No bank robberies or military combats, but Killer Joe is an excellent crime/thriller, with another standout performance from Matthew McConaughey.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Gone Baby Gone
Brick
The Lookout
The Score
The Salton Sea*
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

*Doesn't appear to be on Blu-ray

Last edited by KOA; 08-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I agree with you. I like movies having good story but refresh mind and release pressure of daily tough routine.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page