Good Blu Ray thriller/suspense movies like Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, etc... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tack
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Good Blu Ray thriller/suspense movies like Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, etc...

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. Wondering if people can post some good movie titles that are similar to the ones I mentioned: Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, Prisoners, Gone Baby Gone, etc...

I don't really like "Action" movies, ones where the shooting and fighting is over the top such as Safe with Jason Statham, and even some of the Bond movies, while entertaining at times, are just a little too cliche for me.

A strong, intense storyline is always good, with some good ol' shooting, bank robberies, and military combat is sorta my thing. I have a projection screen and full 5.1 surround sound so I'm looking for some movies to watch with friends and family. Thanks so much!
butie120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Hey everyone. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. Wondering if people can post some good movie titles that are similar to the ones I mentioned: Argo, The Town, Zero Dark Thirty, Prisoners, Gone Baby Gone, etc...

I don't really like "Action" movies, ones where the shooting and fighting is over the top such as Safe with Jason Statham, and even some of the Bond movies, while entertaining at times, are just a little too cliche for me.

A strong, intense storyline is always good, with some good ol' shooting, bank robberies, and military combat is sorta my thing. I have a projection screen and full 5.1 surround sound so I'm looking for some movies to watch with friends and family. Thanks so much!
Some of my favorites...(in no particular order)

Heat, The Departed, The Godfather (Parts I-III), Scarface, Devil's Advocate, Seven, True Romance, Silence of the Lambs, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Lone Survivor,... (I could go on and on)

I'd also recommend the following TV series... Band of Brothers, True Detective, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Mad Men, 24,...
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Some of my favorites...(in no particular order)

Heat, The Departed, The Godfather (Parts I-III), Scarface, Devil's Advocate, Seven, True Romance, Silence of the Lambs, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Lone Survivor,... (I could go on and on)

I'd also recommend the following TV series... Band of Brothers, True Detective, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Mad Men, 24,...
Thanks for the movie list. Any other newer releases in the past few years that I should be aware of?
butie120 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 326
The Departed sounds right up your alley. You'd probably like a taut thriller such as Blood Simple or even a much newer one like Blue Ruin. L.A. Confidential is an incredible movie. Some like No Country For Old Men.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked: 4120
You might try Lucky Number Slevin, A History of Violence, and while fairly violent at times, Running Scared.

For something newer, Prisoners is pretty gripping.
General Kenobi likes this.
Tack is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
You might try Lucky Number Slevin, A History of Violence, and while fairly violent at times, Running Scared.

For something newer, Prisoners is pretty gripping.
Running Scared for sure! The original Swedish Extended Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy. A French film "Tell No One" was also brilliant. Blue Ruin was pretty gritty and a great story to boot.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
2012
2011
2010
2009
General Kenobi is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 7,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 897
No bank robberies or military combats, but Killer Joe is an excellent crime/thriller, with another standout performance from Matthew McConaughey.
Morpheo is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KOA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Gone Baby Gone
Brick
The Lookout
The Score
The Salton Sea*
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang


*Doesn't appear to be on Blu-ray

Last edited by KOA; 08-07-2014 at 10:15 AM.
KOA is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Newbie
 
marinavilchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I agree with you. I like movies having good story but refresh mind and release pressure of daily tough routine.
marinavilchik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off