post #31 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post
I can never understand why people commit suicide like this.
Well, that's probably because you're not suffering from depression, which he was battling for years.

He could make you laugh and cry in the same sentence. That is, to me, what separate the true comic "geniuses" from the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"O Captain! My Captain!". Depression is a cruel punisher of life. And ultimately may take its victim. Coming down from a high-flying, successful career can be unsettling for most, and in Robin's case the cause and contributor of so much internal pain. What else can be said. I grew up watching him on Mork and Mindy and was so stunned, but I guess not surprised, when I heard the news. RIP Robin.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Last edited by redjr; 08-13-2014 at 11:04 AM.
post #33 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post

I can never understand why people commit suicide like this. I remember a co-worker at a place I once worked at hung himself in the garage. His wife left before noon and she comes home and opens the garage door and there he was. Later I heard he was suffering from depression too.
It takes experiencing it (either yourself or going through it with a loved one or close friend) to fully understand depression. So many people still think it's simply a state of mind and something the person can control, but it's far from it.
Will2007 likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #34 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
It takes experiencing it (either yourself or going through it with a loved one or close friend) to fully understand depression. So many people still think it's simply a state of mind and something the person can control, but it's far from it.
Indeed. When are we going to start treating the brain like any other organ in the body! We're getting better, but still a long way to go.

redjr...

post #35 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 101
When hot women start being impressed by really big ones? Sorry to joke in a sad thread, but I doubt Robin would object to some humor.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #36 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
Indeed. When are we going to start treating the brain like any other organ in the body! We're getting better, but still a long way to go.
You mean like organ transplants?
post #37 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 999
So sad, one of my favorites. I lived in San Francisco for a long time and when we had several comedy clubs going it was quite a scene and Robin was often there and would often make up a impromptu last act (once for a Dennis Miller show I saw Robin just killed, Miller seething off to the side of the stage). He had a very nice pad with killer views in Sea Cliff in San Francisco (didn't know he wasn't living there but rather in Tiburon, might have to do with previous wife?). Once on one of my usual bike rides in SF I saw an appropriately hairy and shaped person on a road bike (he had a huge collection of awesome bikes) out front so I turned around and followed him to the Golden Gate Bridge and sort of invited myself along for a ride....he was hilarious, cracking wise about each group of tourists we dodged as we rode over to Marin, then I decided to see if he could ride with some speed and sort of raced him down to Tiburon but he got me right at the bottom of the hill. I'll miss you very much o captain my captain!
raaj and Will2007 like this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #38 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I know first hand of seeing Depression take someone. Its bad, wether your rich or poor, different culture background Depression can hit hard. Hard part is you don't even know the person is suffering from it.

Frank
post #39 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
You mean like organ transplants?
Can't transplant Prostates either. So what's your point?

redjr...

post #40 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 269
He was one of the top talkshow guests for many years AFAIK. Seems to have lots of problems lately, Parkinson's Disease, anxiety, money problems and depression. RIP
post #41 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
This afternoon his wife held a press conference and disclosed the very real, very serious cause of his depression. He had Parkinson's disease, and it had progressed to the point where drugs would no longer hide the symptoms.

Of course, Michael J. Fox has been living and working with the same disease since 1991, and only announced he had it in 2001 when he could not control the involuntary movements with drugs. But now he is the actor with Parkinson's, admired by all. But he cannot take comedic roles any more, because there is nothing very funny about his condition.

For a comic with Williams' physical style, it represented the end of his career, and the beginning of life as a recluse.

Heck, just thinking about it makes me depressed.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #42 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
This afternoon his wife held a press conference and disclosed the very real, very serious cause of his depression. He had Parkinson's disease, and it had progressed to the point where drugs would no longer hide the symptoms.

Of course, Michael J. Fox has been living and working with the same disease since 1991, and only announced he had it in 2001 when he could not control the involuntary movements with drugs. But now he is the actor with Parkinson's, admired by all. But he cannot take comedic roles any more, because there is nothing very funny about his condition.

For a comic with Williams' physical style, it represented the end of his career, and the beginning of life as a recluse.

Heck, just thinking about it makes me depressed.
I don't know, when Michael J. Fox makes talk show appearances, he's still pretty funny. I know what you mean about Williams' physical style, but that had been toned down a bit as he aged anyway and he was relying on more verbal humor with quite a bit less physicality. Especially in his movie and tv (non talk-show) appearances. If his crowning blow worry was that he could no longer perform because of the Parkinson's, I wish he had given that more consideration than thinking it was the end of his film/tv/comedy career. However, I totally get how such a diagnosis would acerbate an ongoing state of severe depression.

Last edited by hitchfan; 08-14-2014 at 09:10 PM.
post #43 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 591
R.I.P. Robin - My deepest condolences to his wife, family, and all his friends over the whole world.

May the eternal light shine upon us all...
post #44 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
He made people to laugh but his death make them all sad but his performances will remain ever in hearts of people.
post #45 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Did a small marathon of a handful of his movies this week. There's easily more of his that's really good. I started as a fan of his standup stuff and have followed his films ever since. Say what you will but it's bummed me out all week. I don't follow celebrity stuff so had no idea of his multiple marriages, money issues, or even the depression really.

1. Good Morning, Vietnam.
2. The Fisher King.
3. Moscow on the Hudson.
4. One Hour Photo.

If those don't demonstrate his strength and range I'm not sure any others could. Good Morning, Vietnam is just flat out hilarious and full of heart and pairs up nicely with Moscow in regards to the stranger in a strange land motif. Moscow, for me, is particularly poignant even today with the resurgence of Russia and current immigration issues in the US. The Fisher King, with the knowledge of his mental state over the years, moved me more than previous viewings and serves to highlight that thin line of what we call "normal" with particular regard to mass media and the power it holds over the populace. All that wrapped in a super tale of redemption for some not so perfect people. One Hour Photo puts RW in the skin of a creepy photo developer and asks some interesting questions on privacy. It has a great twist at the end that hints at his own abuse and paints him almost as a hero. He had knack for playing the broken human inside some broken systems and it would appear he didn't have to work too hard to show us.
post #46 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Never was a Gene Simmons (Kiss) fan.

KISS rocker Gene Simmons tells depressed people to 'kill themselves

Apology @ 11.
post #47 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Decades ago I drove to a little town in the middle of Nebraska on business. Got to my room and turned the TV on and turned it to public television. Dick Cavett was doing an interview with a then young Robin Williams. Dick took Robin out into the audience and would randomly select someone who would say a word. Any word. Robin would take that word and that quickly do a skit with it. It was unbelievable how quick and hilarious his mind was. I am still shocked by both the speed of his mind and this news.
post #48 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I was listening to local talk radio (Talk910) when the news came in. Gil Gross was hosting and knew Robin so he got a bit choked up. They've been going on for days about it. I think Robin would have been embarrassed if he'd known this would happen. And at the risk of possibly being in poor taste I was beginning to wonder if he had just binge watched "The Leftovers" .
post #49 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I was listening to local talk radio (Talk910) when the news came in. Gil Gross was hosting and knew Robin so he got a bit choked up. They've been going on for days about it. I think Robin would have been embarrassed if he'd known this would happen. And at the risk of possibly being in poor taste I was beginning to wonder if he had just binge watched "The Leftovers" .
Embarrassed how?
post #50 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Embarrassed how?
Have you seen it? Better have some Valium handy.
post #51 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Guess not. I'm confused. The Gene Simmons thing?
post #52 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Embarrassed how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think he was referring to Robin being embarrassed by all of the ongoing attention he is getting. It wouldn't have made any difference had he truly known how much everyone appreciated his contribution to their lives because he didn't feel that way about himself. Depression controlled him.
post #53 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
post #54 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I think he was referring to Robin being embarrassed by all of the ongoing attention he is getting. It wouldn't have made any difference had he truly known how much everyone appreciated his contribution to their lives because he didn't feel that way about himself. Depression controlled him.
I wouldn't venture any idea of what was going on. I lost a close pal to suicide and you never get answers or any kind of closure.
post #55 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The only thing I focus on with this outcome is that his pain has now ceased, and I am happy for him for that.

It is also my thought that he made it to his freakin' 60's with that condition...way outstripping the odds. Most artists succumb to the beast before 30. He held it off far longer than anyone I am aware of, who suffered depression.

I was never that big of a fan of Robin Williams, but I do now feel a certain connection with him on the theme of depression. I feel great sympathy (more than I should for not even knowing that person in real life) for every comedian that was overcome by their depression and died. Every few years, you hear about one that goes down, and every time it is a suicide.

Artie Lange is one that was almost taken out by depression, but somehow he pulled through. It could still happen, but I hope he is better and happier, these days.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #56 of 77 Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
The reveal that he was suffering from Parkinson's was the game changer that probably pushed him over the edge. Even the most non-clinically-depressed person might be driven to terminal despair by such a diagnosis. I've already told my wife if I ever get Alzheimers, I'm checking out while I can still manage it. She can either help or not, but I'm not going to tolerate my very identity, and every memory I've ever had, gradually slipping away.

Gee, that's a morbid thought. But considering what he was facing plus his existing condition and demons, it's somewhat more understandable. That doesn't take away from the tragedy and loss, of course.
post #57 of 77 Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any proof that being diagnosed with Alzheimer had anything to do with him talking his life? I believe not. Nobody has ever taking his or her life being told that she or he is in a early stage of Alzheimer.

Even his family, who should know best, struggles to understand his suicide
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...d-his-suicide/
post #58 of 77 Old 08-16-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Is there any proof that being diagnosed with Alzheimer had anything to do with him talking his life? I believe not. Nobody has ever taking his or her life being told that she or he is in a early stage of Alzheimer.
It was Parkinson's, not Alzheimer. And how do you know that "nobody" has ever taking his or her life being told that she of he is in early stages such a disease??? Besides who are we to speculate on his motives? He did what he did and he OBVIOUSLY had his reasons. The rest is none of our business. He was OBVIOUSLY going through a lot, up to that point where he said "enough". I'm sure we all have our limits.
post #59 of 77 Old 08-16-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
It was Parkinson's, not Alzheimer.
Maybe he has both
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo
And how do you know that "nobody" has ever taking his or her life being told that she of he is in early stages such a disease???
Shure some will take their lives. But look at Ali, he has shown signs of parkinson's since the age of 38. He is still alive after all his years with the disease. Lots of folks want to stay alive at all costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo
Besides who are we to speculate on his motives?
What annoys me is that folks take the very little info that they have and turn that into ''after he heard that he has parkinson's he took his life.''

post #60 of 77 Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Never was a Gene Simmons (Kiss) fan.

KISS rocker Gene Simmons tells depressed people to 'kill themselves

Apology @ 11.

Gene Simmons Apologizes for Telling Depressed People to "Kill Yourself"