2Likes
  • 2 Post By JoeBlow74

post #1 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
1954 Godzilla 4k remastered from original film

I will be all over this like a fly when this comes out. I might just have to buy a new TV. .

The original Godzilla black and white movies along with the color versions are being remastered to 4k from the original 60 year old reel-to-reel film. They are even leaving in the visible wires used to hold up Godzilla. LoL!

I ran across this on my local news station.
http://www.katu.com/news/tech/Godzil...272940881.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	233169  
darthrsg and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by JoeBlow74; 08-30-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
I love seeing the wires.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I reserve judgement until I actually see it or at least 4k images. When Toho did a 'HD' master of Godzilla it was cleaned into DVD quality. Thankfully Criterion did a much better HD re-scan although it has a lot of print flaws in it showing a frame-by-frame hand done restoration would be very expensive.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's interesting is I very recently ordered the Criterion Blu-ray edition thinking it was the best video release as of today of this movie. The Criterion edition's source is said to be from the "original camera negative." Though it's possible it's from a 2k scan rather than from a 4k scan, it will be interesting to see what version is ultimately better on Blu-ray.

If the 4k scan is cleaned up (dirt, scratches etc) a bit more than the Criterion 2k scan (still retaining grain and all detail) the new 4k scan might give it a run for it's money.

I'll have to wait to see how this turns out. Any news on when this will be available?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's 60 years after the frist Godzilla movie, watch the new Godzilla movie in the movies. .
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Wires are no big deal, if a person is really bothered by them then there are other aspects of the movie that aren't working.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #7 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The real question is whether or not the final product will have the same problem as the existing Godzilla masters. We all know how they mastered them at lower brightness levels to make the picture dim and faded.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Wires are no big deal, if a person is really bothered by them then there are other aspects of the movie that aren't working.
It's trying to appeal the lowest common denominator rather then people being bothered, like the TV HD broadcasts of films where they remove the matting and or zoomed/cropped and film grain scrubbed or when they thought everybody wanted pan & scan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The real question is whether or not the final product will have the same problem as the existing Godzilla masters. We all know how they mastered them at lower brightness levels to make the picture dim and faded.
I do not know. Are you claiming they faked dim and faded?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

They didn't fake it, they did it that way on purpose because that's how the mastering has been with Japanese companies. There's a good reason why the Japanese had always turned to American hands to handle their film restorations in the past and that reason is their lack of a real understanding of how to do it properly. It wasn't until the past decade that they started doing their own work inside the country instead of shipping films to American companies to do the restoration work. Sony did restorations on 3 Toho sci-fi films including Mothra and they could have easily done the entire Godzilla series and created excellent 2K or 4K masters that would be considered excellent by anyone's standards.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Any news on when this will be available?
It won't be shown until the sequel to this year's Godzilla movie stomps into cinemas and that's several years away, likely 2018. By then, they should have a batch of the older films ready for the upcoming 4K Blu-Ray format that should be on the market by 2016.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This must be new, I thought that the 60th anniversary reformation circulating was only 2K? A fellow fan to whom I spoke said it was gorgeous, so I don't know what the deal was, because the version I saw a few weeks ago (presumably a DCP) look pretty terrible, like a scratched print.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
This must be new, I thought that the 60th anniversary reformation circulating was only 2K? A fellow fan to whom I spoke said it was gorgeous, so I don't know what the deal was, because the version I saw a few weeks ago (presumably a DCP) look pretty terrible, like a scratched print.
It has not even been started on yet as mentioned in another thread. The linked article states: 'Only one minute from the original film and from each of the sequels has been turned into 4K'.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page