• 1 Post By javanpohl
post #1 of 23 Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Australian Horror Film, "Babadook"

I used the search engine (title search only) and didn't see a thread dedicated to this film, so I took the liberty of starting one.

The film is being released under IFC Midnight. It will hit US theaters in late November. I picked up a copy of the Australian blu ray *(see my comments below).

Here's the latest trailer:

Official site:

http://thebabadook.com/

Rottentomatoes page (currently 46 reviews, with 96% positive):

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/

Synopsis:

"From breakthrough writer-director Jennifer Kent comes the creepy psychological horror movie THE BABADOOK that has received an explosion of acclaim following its world premiere at Sundance 2014. The film tells of a single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, who battles with her son’s night time fear of a shadowy monster. But soon, she discovers a sinister presence is lurking in the house.

With echoes of past and contemporary classics like Rosemary’s Baby, The Tenant, The Exorcist, The Omen and Let the Right One In, the film is an immaculately crafted tale starring Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman. The supporting cast includes Daniel Henshall, Hayley McElhinney, Barbara West, and Ben Winspear."

Original short from the director Jennifer Kent from which Babadook grew from (love the black and white...anyone else see Tim Burton's influence?:

Even though the transfer was 1080i 50hz...I still found it very sharp, well done transfer. I haven't seen the film in the theater, but home version didn't disappoint on the big scope screen. Black levels were very good, along with shadow detail.

The sound was awesome...so much so it tripped my breakers twice during one of the final scenes between mom and babadook. I've added a crowson transducer under my couch to compliment the buttkickers mounted in the second row platform=WOW. The bass effects were fantastic. Several times I thought I was in the room with babadook with the impact of my couch moving due to the strong, but not over done bass effects.

As for the movie, my son and I loved it. The DNA of the movie seemed to have been drawn from (IMHO) Rosemary's Baby (mom paranoid breakdown), the Shinning (parent and child's relationship breakdown parallel's the parent's psychotic breakdown), any bad seed/child maybe evil film you can think of (is the son capable of murdering his parent?).

All that being said, the film that kept coming back to me was "We Need to Talk about Kevin". Was mom blaming inwardly her son's birth for the death of her husband (not a spoiler, since it comes up in many reviews, along with the filmmakers description of the movie)? Tilda's Character blamed her son for the loss of her freedom and never fully bonded with her son, so was that the nurture reason for her son's issues? Or was he born with issues, which would drive him to violence. The same question arose with the son in Babadook, was mom realizing her son maybe was "evil" or psychotic and did his issues stem from her revealing she may actually blame him for her husband's death or was he born with his "issues"?

I thought the film balanced both the real world drama for the mother and her son with the possible demonic evil of Babadook. In my opinion, that was possible due to a well written film and outstanding performances from both of the main actors (mother and son). I know my son found the film son obnoxious. My opinion was we needed to see what others (aunt, teachers, peers) and build upon the mother's own questions about her son. BUT, I also felt the young actor did a terrific job of showing a genuine love for his mother, they revealed a child who did have empathy, but maybe the deck was stacked against him?

I would recommend Babadook for both the performances, writing and solid direction (Tim Burton influence some of the production design...we both thought so). Though it's not a pure horror film, it's demonic Babadook plays an important and sustained role throughout the film. I plan to watch it again this weekend.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, I want that for my horror collection!!!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This was a great movie!
post #4 of 23 Old 11-12-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 216
This was nice to look at. Beautifully shot and interesting choice in color palette. Nice score too. I was a bit disappointed given all the hype it received but worth a watch.

This is Citizen Kane compared to most of the found footage and paranormal sh#t out nowadays. I'll gladly support anyone making films like these.
darthrsg likes this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #5 of 23 Old 11-12-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
This was nice to look at. Beautifully shot and interesting choice in color palette. Nice score too. I was a bit disappointed given all the hype it received but worth a watch.

This is Citizen Kane compared to most of the found footage and paranormal sh#t out nowadays. I'll gladly support anyone making films like these.
Viewers disappointed to some degree based on the hype and positive reviews has been a common complaint from viewers along with the equal family melodrama to horror storyline ratio seems to be the other complaint.

For me it lived up to the hype, but I am glad I read a fair number of reviews to understand it wasn't a straight up horror film. For me the performances and direction will make for repeat viewings.
wizzack likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #6 of 23 Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I want that book!
dragonbud0 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I want that book!
campaign for the book:

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...-babadook-book

Annoucement:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/...xternal,manual

You can sign up for the book on the official babadook site:

"Get the babadook book" top of front page:

mrhan likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #8 of 23 Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
campaign for the book:

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...-babadook-book

Annoucement:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/...xternal,manual

You can sign up for the book on the official babadook site:

"Get the babadook book" top of front page:

^^^Awesome! Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:

Agree.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
This movie was available on directv on demand about a month ago & I was really tempted to see it but $7.99 would not go over with my cheapskate self.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Viewers disappointed to some degree based on the hype and positive reviews has been a common complaint from viewers along with the equal family melodrama to horror storyline ratio seems to be the other complaint.

For me it lived up to the hype, but I am glad I read a fair number of reviews to understand it wasn't a straight up horror film. For me the performances and direction will make for repeat viewings.

I'm Looking forward to a second viewing when it hits Vudu. Check out Housebound and Horns if you get a chance. I think you'll dig 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
This movie was available on directv on demand about a month ago & I was really tempted to see it but $7.99 would not go over with my cheapskate self.

When rentals cost that much I'll justify it by not having Chipotle for lunch. I rent the movie and somehow end up eating a burrito anyway. 'Merica!

post #12 of 23 Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm Looking forward to a second viewing when it hits Vudu. Check out Housebound and Horns if you get a chance. I think you'll dig 'em.

When rentals cost that much I'll justify it by not having Chipotle for lunch. I rent the movie and somehow end up eating a burrito anyway. 'Merica!
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to check horns

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #13 of 23 Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For those interested, at www.thebababdook.com, they are conducting a "kickstarter type" campaign for the babadook book featured in the movie. I would be in for one, but not at $80 shipped. Autographed copy by the director, would be nice...but just a book...too expensive to sit on a shelf. They need 2000 ppl to step up and commit to make it happen.
wizzack likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #14 of 23 Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For those interested, at www.thebababdook.com, they are conducting a "kickstarter type" campaign for the babadook book featured in the movie. I would be in for one, but not at $80 shipped. Autographed copy by the director, would be nice...but just a book...too expensive to sit on a shelf. They need 2000 ppl to step up and commit to make it happen.

Looks like they have 579 pre orders already....$80 does seem steep. I'm going to wait awhile to see how far they get.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Noah Wiseman/Samuel was terrific; great for rental.

$80 pop-up book kind of makes the $7.99 rental a bargain.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-06-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
BTW, I could see a sequel on queue, Babadookdook.
javanpohl likes this.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-07-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Watched again last night with the wife. Better the second time around. Great audio and both leads are fantastic. Barely a drop of blood or CG with a pretty creepy story that relied on the humans. That alone should garner loads of hate which is too bad.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-07-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Watched again last night with the wife. Better the second time around. Great audio and both leads are fantastic. Barely a drop of blood or CG with a pretty creepy story that relied on the humans. That alone should garner loads of hate which is too bad.
On rottentomatoes 97 out of 99 positive reviews with all the top critics listed at 100% positive. New York film critics gave director Jennifer Kent the "best new film" award. Essie Davis has also been mentioned on some of the end of year best of lists for her performance.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #19 of 23 Old 12-07-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Saw this tonight. Took me a little while to digest the story but it was very well done. Very original story and well acted.
post #20 of 23 Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The book preorder is going strong and they made their #. Apparently the director will sign every copy - the $60+$20 s/h price tag doesn't seem TOO bad now. Pretty cool prop that you'll never be able to get again.

post #21 of 23 Unread 12-20-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Just got the Australian blu-ray today. Ripped it and checked out the first minute or so... absolutely gorgeous! Inky blacks and spot-on detail! I was concerned because it's 1080 50i, according to the case and it ripped in like 10 minutes (norm is about 20 or so for a blu-ray, 10 minutes is more in the dvd realm), so it seemed low quality Also seems like it has amazing sound too! Pretty solid deep bass and surround activity.

Pricey coming from AU, $35 or so with shipping, but if you're the type that loves to get blu-rays while they're still in theaters, this is a "buy"!
rboster likes this.
post #22 of 23 Unread Today, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The book preorder is going strong and they made their #. Apparently the director will sign every copy - the $60+$20 s/h price tag doesn't seem TOO bad now. Pretty cool prop that you'll never be able to get again.

With the book being autographed by the director, put the decision over the top for me...placed my order

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #23 of 23 Unread Today, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Just got the Australian blu-ray today. Ripped it and checked out the first minute or so... absolutely gorgeous! Inky blacks and spot-on detail! I was concerned because it's 1080 50i, according to the case and it ripped in like 10 minutes (norm is about 20 or so for a blu-ray, 10 minutes is more in the dvd realm), so it seemed low quality Also seems like it has amazing sound too! Pretty solid deep bass and surround activity.

Pricey coming from AU, $35 or so with shipping, but if you're the type that loves to get blu-rays while they're still in theaters, this is a "buy"!
I agree....getting ready to place an order for "what we do in the shadows". Vampire comedy produced by the same team from flight of the concords. Jb hifi has it for preorder...orders online are autographed by the writer and director of the film.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page