Interstellar in Imax 70mm Film - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #271 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Look at his measurements and compare to the CDC recommended exposure limits.

CDC rec 105 db, max exposure 5 minutes.
Scott recorded the Interstellar sound as staying above 101 dBC 10% of the time. That is approximately 16 minutes of close to 105 db exposure during the movie. Not to mention the average level of the movie throughout it's THREE HOURS was approaching 100 db!

CDC rec for 120 db exposure is a mere 9 seconds. Scott measured peaks of 117 db, but also 120 dBC for lower frequencies for the end of the movie. I'd think they likely exceeded 9 seconds in length.

This seems clearly to me to be pushing at the danger zone.
So they stayed under the recommended exposure limits, I don't see the problem. If people are this worried about the sound then just wait for it to come out on BD. In my opinion they'll be missing an awesome experience in IMAX if they skip...
Morpheo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Now you folks who are complaining that the movie was too loud (for you) in the IMAX and are quoting decibel levels are missing one thing - only exposure to CERTAIN frequencies for extended periods are actually harmful. I don't know how you measured the audio for almost 3 hours straight with a decibel level meter? (do you really sit in a movie theater and do this?) but you would have actually had to have used a properly calibrated spectrum analyzer to have anything close to an accurate reading. I suggest this, as I said earlier than if you are prone to finding loud volume levels uncomfortable then there are quieter non-IMAX theaters to see the move, or wait for it to be released on video so that you can control the level in your own home. It's not dangerous, seriously, you may not like it loud, but most people will survive the experience and some may even enjoy being rocked by the serious BASS frequencies in the IMAX.
Morpheo likes this.
post #273 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Look at his measurements and compare to the CDC recommended exposure limits.

CDC rec 105 db, max exposure 5 minutes.
Scott recorded the Interstellar sound as staying above 101 dBC 10% of the time. That is approximately 16 minutes of close to 105 db exposure during the movie. Not to mention the average level of the movie throughout it's THREE HOURS was approaching 100 db!

CDC rec for 120 db exposure is a mere 9 seconds. Scott measured peaks of 117 db, but also 120 dBC for lower frequencies for the end of the movie. I'd think they likely exceeded 9 seconds in length.

This seems clearly to me to be pushing at the danger zone.
And that's exactly why some people (me included) generally prefer staying home, and have control themselves on the volume level.
And @ home, in our own rooms, some of us turn it up even louder (not me), and others have respect for their hearing health (me).

In an IMAX theater there are few hundred people assisting to the public show (movie/documentary/music concert ...), viewers.
The 700 pounds IMAX reel is unique; @ home we only have a two (roughly) ounces Blu-ray disc.
And @ the IMAX (true IMAX) theater, the screen is huge (few stories high, and large). ...@ home it's only about 15 feet in diagonal (@ best).

Me, I believe that in a public venue like a theater, and just like @ home, there is a "correct" volume level.
But @ home it is much more easier to satisfy everyone, because we have total control with our remote. ...And there are only one to nine of us.
And when there are two or three hundred, or more people sitting inside a very large room, then you won't be able to adjust for everyone; simply impossible.

And! There should also be laws in public venues as to the overall noise (volume level) created. ...For the good health of our societies (us, the general humans, living on planet Earth).

Tomorrow, theaters will have a pair of surround headphones attached to each chair. ...With an adjustable volume control for each movie viewer.
We won't be here, but the children of our children will.

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-24-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: ,

post #274 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:31 PM

...The headphones would have to be sanitized after each show.

Or! We can bring our own pair, and simply plug it in; just like in planes.
post #275 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismix View Post
Now you folks who are complaining that the movie was too loud (for you) in the IMAX and are quoting decibel levels are missing one thing - only exposure to CERTAIN frequencies for extended periods are actually harmful. I don't know how you measured the audio for almost 3 hours straight with a decibel level meter? (do you really sit in a movie theater and do this?) but you would have actually had to have used a properly calibrated spectrum analyzer to have anything close to an accurate reading. I suggest this, as I said earlier than if you are prone to finding loud volume levels uncomfortable then there are quieter non-IMAX theaters to see the move, or wait for it to be released on video so that you can control the level in your own home. It's not dangerous, seriously, you may not like it loud, but most people will survive the experience and some may even enjoy being rocked by the serious BASS frequencies in the IMAX.
True too; we are totally free to go or not. But it's nice to go and feel good about the overall experience, and we cannot always predict that.

There is no substitute for picture size, and sheer loudness level. ...Dare if you do, dare if you don't.

Life is short; I'd rather live it to the limit than sit around inside a movie theater controlled by a master of decibels' loudness.
If I want a real ride inside a truck running fast into a cornfield, or strapped unto a rocket spaceship chair, I can always go to 'Disneyland'.
Or! Jump from a mountain with wings and fly @ over 200 miles per hour. ...Wing gliding.
Heck, some people do it with rocket powered wings, and they jumped from 25,000 feet high, from a jet plane.
{Just goggle it; there are some youtube videos.}

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-24-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #276 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
Quote:
Now you folks who are complaining that the movie was too loud (for you)
While personal preference is part of the equation, we aren't strictly talking about only personal preference; there are well studied threat-levels to the hearing health of most humans, and the levels produced in some theaters are in the risk zone. Having read various ear-health and tinnitus boards for 20 years, I've seen many complain of leaving a particularly loud movie with their ears ringing (had this myself), and I have read of various people whose permanent tinnitus began with exposure to a loud movie playback. It's true that thresholds vary among people - some could ride in their boom car for much of their teen years and come out ok, others would suffer issues, and it's tough to know which camp you will be in until it's too late. Which is why so many in the hearing health care profession are alerting people to be more conservative in their exposure. Huge numbers of people thought loud noise exposure was fine when it was happening because they enjoyed it at the time, but found out later they paid for it.

This isn't to say "everyone has to listen to entertainment quietly," it's only to point out there *can* be real risks involved.

Quote:
you would have actually had to have used a properly calibrated spectrum analyzer to have anything close to an accurate reading.
Not necessarily.

It turns out to be not that hard. There are even a number of smart phone apps, particularly for the iPhone, that are quite accurate, and have been measured against reference equipment to be within 2db accuracy, within the limitations accepted in standard practice noise monitoring for loud environments. Employing a decent external mic with the smart phone apps seems to maintain accuracy up to 124db sound levels.

I use my iPhone apps to monitor sound levels quite often.

Last edited by R Harkness; 11-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #277 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm not going to participate in a "this amount of decibels is OK!!" "no they are not!!" argument. I have been excited over the availability of reeeealy large screens and more realistic sound. As someone that has experienced overwhelmingly loud sound for my entire life I dont lust after any more of it than is necessary for an impressive experience. "What is necessary" is surely subjective but I don't need a sound level meter to tell me when the sound goes beyond a reasonably SANE level. I'm not talking about you like it loud and I dont. That is totally NOT the case. Get that. I enjoy a spectacularly loud and large experience. I did not get that when I went to see Interstellar. My senses were attacked.
post #278 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 379
pretty much ANY concert is much, much louder than IMAX. I don't see the issue. If it's too loud, get your money back and go see it in a normal theater. IMAX is about big picture big sound.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #279 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM

...Or go see 'St. Vincent' with Bill Murray.
post #280 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
pretty much ANY concert is much, much louder than IMAX. I don't see the issue. If it's too loud, get your money back and go see it in a normal theater. IMAX is about big picture big sound.

Read your own statement back to yourself. And remember I used the term "stupid loud" to describe what I experienced that day. I agree that any concert SHOULD be louder than ANY IMAX presentation, I have been to (and performed in) many such performances.. As stated previously, I did complain and you can find my description of how that went without me going into it here. Knowing how much I agree with your basic premise you should then appreciate my dismay over what I experienced.
post #281 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjd813 View Post
Read your own statement back to yourself. And remember I used the term "stupid loud" to describe what I experienced that day. I agree that any concert SHOULD be louder than ANY IMAX presentation, I have been to (and performed in) many such performances.. As stated previously, I did complain and you can find my description of how that went without me going into it here. Knowing how much I agree with your basic premise you should then appreciate my dismay over what I experienced.
I wasn't replying to anyone specific in general, just stating my opinion.
post #282 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I wasn't replying to anyone specific in general, just stating my opinion.
My bad...
post #283 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Well if it was too loud for you then no need to go back! As for complaining to the theater, I'm sure they would be happy to give you a ticket refund if you didn't stay for the entire movie . . . . or perhaps you did ? Perhaps you shouldn't go to the IMAX again for this kind of movie, plenty of multiplexes with more regular volume levels.
post #284 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
My hearing is tested every year and there are no issues. I prefer movies loud but only watch 2 a week.
I too have my hearing tested periodically. I put on one of my favourite 'thumpingly-loud' movies, go outside, stand on the opposite curb and if I can still it the movie, I know my ears are OK. I usually check with the neighbours to make sure they too can hear it OK.
post #285 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Well if it was too loud for you then no need to go back! As for complaining to the theater, I'm sure they would be happy to give you a ticket refund if you didn't stay for the entire movie . . . . or perhaps you did ? Perhaps you shouldn't go to the IMAX again for this kind of movie, plenty of multiplexes with more regular volume levels.
If you decide to not go back then unfortunately, it will be you who is the loser, you would miss so many great experiences because you were put off by one (or 2 , or 3, or 4,... maybe) bad experiences.

I am so lucky to live where I do (a south-eastern suburb of Melbourne Australia). Imax (7 stories high) is far enough away to make it a 'bring a cut lunch' event to get to, and so expensive because of both ticket and parking costs, that it needs to be a very special movie to warrant the effort. BUT, I also have very nearby, a Village multiplex with VMax. This is a huge cinema that seats around 700, but rarely has more than 100 (most shows I see there are midday/midweek and there are typically just a dozen folks), the screen is the widest 2:40:1 fixed-height screen in the country and the sound system is simply fabulous. Occasionally I might have to throw down my 3D specs and storm outside to rant at an attendant to ask them to lower the volume (or fix the 3D), but this is rare and typically an exercise in futility.

The big problem with all modern cinemas is that the sound track (along with the video) is now a fully downloaded and encoded digital file and everything is automatic. There is no physical film and therefore no operators in the bio-box. Each movie is set to run according to a predetermined schedule, with the screen ratio and volume set as per the metadata. That means the brightness levels of projectors and tone/volume levels of amps are set according to what has been encoded into the metadata of the movie (by the director and image/sound designers, etc), and that is how it is played. To change any of the settings is a serious, highly technical (requires a knob to be turned in a particular direction) and time-consuming operation on the part of the idiot (oops, sorry, theater manager - the only one left in the complex who supposedly has any idea of what the gear up there in 'that room' does and the authority to attend to it), when he eventually gets off the phone and out of his tiny (but really important) office chair.

This situation is bad enough when a regular movie is being shown, so imagine the drama when a 3D movie goes wrong (as it seems to do whenever I am there). If the 3D is not working, because a projector didn't move a lens or a 2nd projector failed to start up, it takes roughly 35 minutes to rectify and that is after having to wait 10 minutes before the movie is actually stopped. All systems have to be powered off to reset them fully, then power up again. Talk about a frustrating experience, made worse if you are on a tight time schedule.

But, even knowing it will happen, again and again, and that I will once again probably leave the cinema crying in frustration (but with a free ticket to return at my leisure within 12 months because I whinged so dramatically to the manager), I still go there to see the REALLY BIG BLOCKBUSTER 3D events and because as awesome as my home theatre is, it still can't match Vmax, which is a shame and a dream.
post #286 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I've been to other IMAX movies and this was the first truly outrageously nasty experience. I've even been to other IMAX movies at the same theater and it was just fine. My conversation with the manager was very cordial and he did offer two tickets. I haven't received them yet. The sensory overload reached its absolute peak about 2/3 of the way through so I just stuck it out. This is the first time I have felt driven to call the manager or post to a web site about any filmgoing experience. Like I said I only go once or twice a year so it will probably be a while before I see if this is a developing issue at this theater.
post #287 of 386 Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
I've been to other IMAX movies and this was the first truly outrageously nasty experience. I've even been to other IMAX movies at the same theater and it was just fine. My conversation with the manager was very cordial and he did offer two tickets. I haven't received them yet. The sensory overload reached its absolute peak about 2/3 of the way through so I just stuck it out. This is the first time I have felt driven to call the manager or post to a web site about any filmgoing experience. Like I said I only go once or twice a year so it will probably be a while before I see if this is a developing issue at this theater.
Echoes my experience. I won't be going back either.

Looky here!
post #288 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 AM

post #289 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
^^^ Well, I can see we have a new member making quite quite an impression in his first posts. Well done. This ought to go well.
post #290 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
^^^ Well, I can see we have a new member making quite quite an impression in his first posts. Well done. This ought to go well.
I'm not that new actually, probably been using this forum longer than most people on here , just under a different username.
post #291 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
In mine too. Excessive sound levels is why I now bring ear plugs to movies. Concerts are bad enough. Now I have to be assaulted by sound at movies too. You may like them obnoxiously loud but rest assured, you are permanently damaging your hearing. You may not notice it now but you will when you can no longer understand people talking to you right next to you at a restaurant as is the case with some people I know that attended far too many rock concerts in their teens and 20's. I even wear ear protection using a leaf blower. I value my hearing (still over 17khz at 55). I would imagine (but need to check) that some of these theater sound levels would violate OSHA standards. If you leave a movie theater with ringing ears, you have been assaulted IMHO.
robnix likes this.
post #292 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Prediction: Harrismix will be stone deaf before he turns 40.
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #293 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh z View Post
prediction: Harrismix will be stone deaf before he turns 40.
what???
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #294 of 386 Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Prediction: Harrismix will be stone deaf before he turns 40.
I think he's over 80.
post #295 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
A million votes at IMDb says it is.
No, it doesn't. Lol!

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #296 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
So they stayed under the recommended exposure limits, I don't see the problem. If people are this worried about the sound then just wait for it to come out on BD. In my opinion they'll be missing an awesome experience in IMAX if they skip...
"Awesome" is not the word I would use to describe my experience watching Interstellar at my local IMAX theater. "Assault" would be more like it.

Quote:
I'm not going to participate in a "this amount of decibels is OK!!" "no they are not!!" argument. I have been excited over the availability of reeeealy large screens and more realistic sound. As someone that has experienced overwhelmingly loud sound for my entire life I dont lust after any more of it than is necessary for an impressive experience. "What is necessary" is surely subjective but I don't need a sound level meter to tell me when the sound goes beyond a reasonably SANE level. I'm not talking about you like it loud and I dont. That is totally NOT the case. Get that. I enjoy a spectacularly loud and large experience. I did not get that when I went to see Interstellar. My senses were attacked.
+1

Quote:
I've enjoyed several movies at my local IMAX theater previously. None were the audio assault I experienced with Interstellar.

Btw, I sent a complaint to the theater, but never received a response (this is the first time I've ever sent a complaint to a theater).
post #297 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I concur with Scott's assessment. My family and I went to see it at the TCL IMAX 70mm in Hollywood since I wanted to share what I hoped would be very impressive viewing. I remember how dazzling Star Wars was in 70mm in San Francisco in 1977. In any case, Interstellar is a great movie, but the sound was totally out of whack. Dialog wasn't intelligible. The louder music and special effects portions of the movie were distorted heavily. I also noticed that the black level was very poor compared to my light controlled HT with Sony VPL-VW50ES projector + Vutec 110" Bright White Opaque Screen. I would recommend avoiding the TCL IMAX, can't speak to the other venues, but hope they are better (!)
post #298 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No, it doesn't. Lol!

My bad. Silly mistake. Yet, Interstellar is highest rated with a score of 8.9, beating out the top Star Wars films, Aliens, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and others. I don't agree with you that you have a dozen films on your shelf that are better. In your view, perhaps, but not according to the reader's poll I just referenced.
post #299 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
My bad. Silly mistake. Yet, Interstellar is highest rated with a score of 8.9, beating out the top Star Wars films, Aliens, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and others. I don't agree with you that you have a dozen films on your shelf that are better. In your view, perhaps, but not according to the reader's poll I just referenced.
Using IMDB for ratings is like using Readers Digest for literary advice...
Tack likes this.

Looky here!
post #300 of 386 Old 11-26-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phony_engineer View Post
I concur with Scott's assessment. My family and I went to see it at the TCL IMAX 70mm in Hollywood since I wanted to share what I hoped would be very impressive viewing. I remember how dazzling Star Wars was in 70mm in San Francisco in 1977. In any case, Interstellar is a great movie, but the sound was totally out of whack. Dialog wasn't intelligible. The louder music and special effects portions of the movie were distorted heavily. I also noticed that the black level was very poor compared to my light controlled HT with Sony VPL-VW50ES projector + Vutec 110" Bright White Opaque Screen. I would recommend avoiding the TCL IMAX, can't speak to the other venues, but hope they are better (!)

The poor black levels are in the source, so Bluray will no doubt suffer as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page