Think Your Favorite Commerical Cinema Uses These Practices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Think Your Favorite Commerical Cinema Uses These Practices?

Here is a link to a SMPTE webinar on their "new" program designed to try to bring some consistency to what we experience in commercial cinemas.

Much of it also applies to mixing stages. It does cite some references for particular specifications, but is generally a collection of good basic practices. Interesting to me is the fact that these have been around for two decades as much of what is required for THX certification. The only proprietary hardware ever in THX certification was their crossover. Dolby and others have pretty much taken over that task now in their cinema processors. THX is often poo-poo'd just about everywhere, but their influence was significant in this respect.

This webinar also begins the early discussions on SMPTE's challenges with the new "3D" formats such as Dolby Atmos.

To answer the title question, I'm lucky in that the local theater chains here either maintain their THX certification (all of the Cinemark houses) or they are dedicated to the practices on their own (Harkins). Have there been occasional problems over the last decade? Sure, but they are few and reasonably quickly fixed. I make friends with the manager and he loves it if I bring an issue to his attention. The most common is panel alignment in need of refinement. The sound systems (B-chain) remain in very good condition!

What do you guys experience?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page